For those who are apposed to the $7,500 rebate.

For those who are apposed to the $7,500 rebate. Did you GIVE BACK your Cares Act or PPP money?

• Total voters

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What Cares Act or PPP money?

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I never got any because I am employed and my salary is over $65K or whatever (and how would I ever afford a CT if it wasn’t?), and isn’t there is a salary cap on those EV rebates? I think that you make assumptions about the rebates and the ppp that are unwarranted.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
University Professor
Country flag
I never got any because I am employed and my salary is over $65K or whatever (and how would I ever afford a CT if it wasn’t?), and isn’t there is a salary cap on those EV rebates? I think that you make assumptions about the rebates and the ppp that are unwarranted.
There is no salery cap on any EV rebate. My wife is very set on having at least one hybrid and we will get it for her car.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is no salery cap on any EV rebate. My wife is very set on having at least one hybrid and we will get it for her car.
Not according to this and many other links, but would not be an issue for anyone receiving ppp: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/income-eligibility as the income limit is $150,000. According to the following, there was an income requirement for stimulus checks as well: https://www.cnet.com/personal-finan...thing-you-need-to-know-about-the-irs-payment/

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I don't appose the 7500 tax rebate for ev's, at all. I think it needs to be reworked though

I DO think its unfair, and just gives the wealthy even more support (people who can afford a car over $50k, dont need help). as the entire rebates go the 1st what, 200k vehicles sold, so historically that was $70k+ cars, and even with the CT it will all go the the expensive ones that are going to be sold first.

also I didnt answer your poll because it seems 1 sided

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I am absolutely not against the $7500 tax incentive. It needs to come back. do you know how much Oil companies get in incentives?!?!? its not for 200,000 barrels either.

idk about the names.. cares or PP.. but i got $1,200 from the govt. and i donated it to a local small business in need.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
For those who are apposed to the $7,500 rebate ONLY.
I am also not opposed to the EV rebates but I think they should go for vehicles that will push the expansion of EVs the most and be income limited. I think the federal government phased the rebates out too quickly. I also think, while I am at it, that HOV lane stickers should be income limited.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A lump sum aimed to help an entire country affected by a worldwide pandemic vs a subsidy that benefits a primarily wealthy demographic on what amounts to a toy. These are not the same thing.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A lump sum aimed to help an entire country affected by a worldwide pandemic vs a subsidy that benefits a primarily wealthy demographic on what amounts to a toy. These are not the same thing.
You misunderstand the purpose of the subsidy. It is not intended to benefit the wealthy (though it does, of course) it is/was intended to benefit the manufacturers to the point where more of them would be able to produce electric cars. Most of us are smart enough to perceive that wider adoption of BEVs would benefit society as a whole in several ways.

I remember Margaret Thatcher saying that one thing she just could not understand about liberals was that they were willing to hurt everyone in order to forestall any benefit to the wealthy. I'm with Maggie.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You misunderstand the purpose of the subsidy. It is not intended to benefit the wealthy (though it does, of course) it is/was intended to benefit the manufacturers to the point where more of them would be able to produce electric cars. Most of us are smart enough to perceive that wider adoption of BEVs would benefit society as a whole in several ways.

I remember Margaret Thatcher saying that one thing she just could not understand about liberals was that they were willing to hurt everyone in order to forestall any benefit to the wealthy. I'm with Maggie.
I get that, and it is valuable to Tesla and their infrastructure to build as many CT’s as possible which a subsidy helps with. If Tesla ever envisions itself making an affordable mass market vehicle (debatable?) then they need as much experience as possible. For now though this is just a tax break on people buying $40k+ vehicles, and if Elon is right, they already have years of demand in waiting without the subsidy.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
If Tesla ever envisions itself making an affordable mass market vehicle (debatable?)
Not much to debate there. The average American apparently paid $37K for his car last year. The M3 is now selling for $38K without any subsidy and Tesla estimates cost savings of $7K relative to an ICE vehicle but shelve that as the consumer is interested in what he can get it off the lot for. If the promises of battery day are realized then Tesla will be at or below parity with ICE vehicles and the game will, presumably, be over for ICE.

For now though this is just a tax break on people buying $40k+ vehicles,
You still aren't getting it. It is an incentive to the Rivian's, Fiskers, Nikolas, Jaguars, BMWs, Fords... to produce BEVs. Unfortunately none of them are building BEVs that people want to buy because Tesla is so far out front and so the benefit intended to accrue to them by the rebate is not being realized.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Since the price reductions in Y and 3 have happened very quickly I wonder about two scenarios.

1) Cost savings led to price reductions to sell more cars, or

2) Tesla is selling off as much inventory as they can to get rid of "old" technology batteries so they don't end up with them after battery day.

If it is #2 it's saves them from needing to deeply discount cars after battery day.

If it is #1 will Cybertruck's massive demand lead to cost savings that are passed to buyers with current downstream orders?

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I'm not opposed to the $7,500 rebate generally. But I am opposed to what I view as calls to game the system to have Tesla get another bite of the apple for the rebate, which I think is a major abuse of the purpose of the rebate system.

I kept my CARES check and would do so again.
Sponsored

Last edited: