MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I'd be totally down for filling the Frunk with batteries to extend range but per Elon on another thread it's a toolbox sized battery in the bed. Could be a weight and safety thing?
Will they Rent the range extender?

No way. It’ll take specialized equipment to hoist it in over those sail pillars.

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
For my use case I would prefer this option in the frunk, but:
1) It would need to be semipermanent due to the weight
2) Cybertruck is self leveling so the change in weight distribution shouldn't be an issue (assume 500lbs)
3) Frunk placement could also provide additional V2L outlets (there are none in the frunk now)

Very cool option, as is the V2X PowerShare announcement today. Really exciting day to be a Cybertruck future owner...

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
16k price seems correct for the size. It’s what 40kwh of batteries or more?

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Really should have been designed to fit into the under bed storage area. Between its design and how it's been introduced it strikes me as something they concocted late into the game as a response to competitors and currently only exists in render form.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I do think it’s a good idea. For someone that doesn’t mind losing cargo space, it works. Not sure how many buyers would pay 16k though.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I personally think range extender makes a lot of sense, especially as a rental. You almost never need it and for that one time when you do (road trip?) I'd rather rent it from tesla for a few days
I’d much rather have the extra battery in the battery pack and keep the full bed intact, but if the extender is really portable and can act like a souped up power wall when not in the truck I am ok with it.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I do think it’s a good idea. For someone that doesn’t mind losing cargo space, it works. Not sure how many buyers would pay 16k though.
I’ve decided that beast mode is NOT for me, so the savings there would pay for the range extender. What they are right about is that most of the time I don’t need the longer range but when I do I demand it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I feel bad for all those people that flew out there and thought it was going to be a massive event. It was very disappointing to say the least.
I hear you, but those are mostly people like influencers that will find a way to capitalize on it no matter what - and they did get a tour of the factory. But it was a total loss of an event for people like me.
Sponsored