Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
So NOT using "regen" increases efficiency?
Interesting, completely counterintuitive to what my impression was.
Maybe there is a issue with the CT regen that is causing the bad 450+ wh/mile numbers we are seeing with so many other vehicles?
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you tape the brakes Regen kicks in. It’s automatic, in the CT it requires skill to accomplish this manually.
That can't be correct can it? Tesla has been doing EVs longer and better than anyone, having to manually use the "ole coast n save" manually can't be better than letting the Tesla engineering/software do it can it?

Maybe there is a bug in the software and that would explain the really bad range #s that we have been seeing?

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Does cruise work the same? I love the challenge of squeezing energy and playing with efficiency but my wife wants to simply get from A to B. She has a 250 mile round trip each week that I am hoping will be a one charge journey. This being my first EV, I am asking if there is a setting for economy cruise control. Several Super Chargers are available along the way so no risk if a charge is necessary.

OP
OP

Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
So NOT using "regen" increases efficiency?
Interesting, completely counterintuitive to what my impression was.
Maybe there is a issue with the CT regen that is causing the bad 450+ wh/mile numbers we are seeing with so many other vehicles?
regen increases efficiency but not as much as coasting which is more efficient than regen. Remember regen slows you down also.
ORDER OF RANGE CONSUMERS:

USING POWER
REGEN
COASTING

In coasting you can almost go forever, just a/c, radio, etc would be your power drain.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does cruise work the same? I love the challenge of squeezing energy and playing with efficiency but my wife wants to simply get from A to B. She has a 250 mile round trip each week that I am hoping will be a one charge journey. This being my first EV, I am asking if there is a setting for economy cruise control. Several Super Chargers are available along the way so no risk if a charge is necessary.
500 miles round trip is going to likely take more than one charge, unless it is on small country roads with slow speeds.

Trekboy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Cybertruck
Country flag
This "coasting" technique is interesting. What you are claiming is that by cancelling regen on a down slope, you are covering more miles per wH of energy than by converting kinetic energy to electrical energy and reusing the electrical energy. It means that on the down slope, the speed of the vehicle increases avoiding the energy conversion loss that occurs with regen. The only problem I see is the amount of attention required of the driver to minimize the regen. It won't work using any type a ADAS, e.g., Autopilot or FSD.
My thoughts on possibly coming out ahead by not converting regen power and gaining speed, is that whatever you might gain by this, you're losing by having to increase your speed, and thus increasing wind resistance.

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Awesome results

But to make your life easier, can't you throw it in neutral to accomplish the same without having to have the pedal at just the right place?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
The answer is simple, and has already been said. Regen takes your potential energy and converts it back to power with some loss. Coasting takes your potential energy and converts it to distance without that same loss.

Regen is very helpful for range when you have to come to a stop anyway, vs just using brakes. But you get more distance returned from elevation change by not adding the efficiency loss of regen. Even if we assumed regen was 90% efficient, coasting is 100% efficient, so it would still be better to coast when you otherwise don't have to stop.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Columbia Gorge HWY. 65mph, high winds, hills. I would think autopilot would account for terrain and not self engage regen if it's statistically inefficient. Steep grades and stop signs I understand but not gentle hills where a maintained speed is required. Good thread here.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That’s a great explanation of how to manage the power/battery from the green & grey indicator on screen. My experience has been great with range in the city with highway and main roads combined.
On freeway driving all seemed good up to about 65. Here in Texas we have long stretches of roads at 75 mph speed limits. I noticed loss of range at 75-80. I do not have anything concrete but it seemed to be 100 miles used 125ish miles of battery life.
Yeah, CO is 75+ everywhere, not range friendly, but good to see some good range numbers are possible in the right circumstances.

Gilbertus

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TY, Ford Expedition, SLS Amg, CT order 12.19
Occupation
Independent
Country flag
I don't understand your "not regenerate". When I came back from Val Thorens in the Alps from the mountain to the valley (34 km) with my Y, I arrived in the valley with 36 kms more than I departed ?? Why should not regenerate help ?

OP
OP

Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Awesome results

But to make your life easier, can't you throw it in neutral to accomplish the same without having to have the pedal at just the right place?
I was thinking about the neutral thing but don’t want to get confused and accidentally put it in park😳🤣

OP
OP

Cirrus SR22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The answer is simple, and has already been said. Regen takes your potential energy and converts it back to power with some loss. Coasting takes your potential energy and converts it to distance without that same loss.

Regen is very helpful for range when you have to come to a stop anyway, vs just using brakes. But you get more distance returned from elevation change by not adding the efficiency loss of regen. Even if we assumed regen was 90% efficient, coasting is 100% efficient, so it would still be better to coast when you otherwise don't have to stop.
Correct and great explanation.

moeali

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After getting the CT on Wednesday, I can say the range is as advertised or better. Wh/m since my last charge and after driving nearly 200 miles of freeway/streets with 2000 foot Gaines on a 45 mile leg on the freeway and back down.

This works out to 328 miles for a full pack which is more than advertised. The aero covers should improve a bit.

Although I drove 65-70 on freeway and speed limit on streets, energy management is key. For example, on a long down hill I coast by not regenerating nor using any power. If you see the green bar, you are regenerating. Press the power pedal slightly to remove regen. If you see the gray power bar go up, you pressed too far and are now using power. Sometimes going faster downhill will increase range because you stop regen and coast as long as you stay within the speed limit. Of course if speed picks up too much you must lift and start regen. Understanding the energy management is key for long range. I call this the Scott Dixon approach, if you follow Indy Car racing you will understand.

IMG_5964.jpeg
Please explain why coasting downhill is better that regererating.
Sponsored