William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, M3P, MY, MS Plaid, i7, CT day 1 FS ordered
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
I reserved a tri motor CT as the site went live, but the longer I own a Tesla the more I dislike the companies practices.

I purchased a 2019 model M3 med range in February of 2019. The next month they discontinued it. Huge depreciation. Now with updates (the SR battery now has a longer range), new upgrades/features and price drops to LR and SR models my MR has depreciated over $20000 in value. Its even listed in KBB as the cheapest.

Will this behavior continue with CT? Should early adopters of their new Truck be put through this same bullshit.

I get tech improves. But the worst thing they can do is drop the prices. Just come out with a lower end model.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Now that you have some perception as to how pricing and resale values work with high tech products perhaps you should reconsider your purchasing practices as Tesla isn't going to change its pricing practices.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I never buy cars with any view toward its depreciation. I buy for the functional features I require and sell or trade for whatever it’s value is when the time comes to sell it. Vehicle features change all the time and if we only look at what has come out after we buy we will always be disappointed. It’s not a healthy way to live.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I doubt your CT will depreciate much in the first year or two. In fact if you are an early buyer in the long wait list, I would not be surprised if you could turn a tidy profit by flipping it as soon as you receive it. There are folks with far too much money that I am sure would be willing to pay a premium to jump to the top of the list. While your concern on your Model 3 is valid, I honestly am not surprised in the least bit. Early adopters get both the good with the bad. Then again, buying any new vehicle is not normally a good investment in your money.

OP
OP
Bankercobb

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
I doubt your CT will depreciate much in the first year or two. In fact if you are an early buyer in the long wait list, I would not be surprised if you could turn a tidy profit by flipping it as soon as you receive it. There are folks with far too much money that I am sure would be willing to pay a premium to jump to the top of the list. While your concern on your Model 3 is valid, I honestly am not surprised in the least bit. Early adopters get both the good with the bad. Then again, buying any new vehicle is not normally a good investment in your money.
Definitely didn't view it as an investment. But an acceptable depreciation for a car is no more than 27 to 30% in my experience. A BMW holds its value better than Tesla.
I won't make the mistake of buying FSD again. That has turned out to be a huge scam.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Definitely didn't view it as an investment. But an acceptable depreciation for a car is no more than 27 to 30% in my experience. A BMW holds its value better than Tesla.
I won't make the mistake of buying FSD again. That has turned out to be a huge scam.
I can definitely see how you believe FSD can be a scam being it's not transferable as I understand it and thus it does not count towards the resell value in any way at all.

However with that being said, you also should not be counting that into your depreciation value if you currently are. It's more of a permanent subscription for as long as you own the vehicle.

Tesla should however allow you to transfer FSD license to another Tesla vehicle so long you remain the owner of it. Meaning its tied to the owner and not the vehicle. Hearing what I am saying Elon?

OP
OP
Bankercobb

Bankercobb

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marine
Country flag
I can definitely see how you believe FSD can be a scam being it's not transferable as I understand it and thus it does not count towards the resell value in any way at all.

However with that being said, you also should not be counting that into your depreciation value if you currently are. It's more of a permanent subscription for as long as you own the vehicle.

Tesla should however allow you to transfer FSD license to another Tesla vehicle so long you remain the owner of it. Meaning its tied to the owner and not the vehicle. Hearing what I am saying Elon?
If it was tied to owner I would love that.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I never buy cars with any view toward its depreciation. I buy for the functional features I require and sell or trade for whatever it’s value is when the time comes to sell it. Vehicle features change all the time and if we only look at what has come out after we buy we will always be disappointed. It’s not a healthy way to live.
Very well said

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I think you have to buy a vehicle with options that make it unique as time goes. I have a 2013 P85+ with all the options back then. It has held its value pretty well. I just had the new center screen installed; fantastic better image. I have been debating getting a new CPU. This car is over 7 years old. The drive unit was replaced under warranty last year. The point is these cars are upgradable somewhat which should keep them on the road longer.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
If it was tied to owner I would love that.

Yeah, FSD is a real kick in the dick if you are the type that drive a vehicle for 3 years and switch it up especially if you bought it with that option 2 years ago. Sure, you got the FSD option a bit cheaper, but what has it lived up to in value as it stands today in its current iteration? I'm not saying its bad but I don't believe its great *yet*. Now in a year or two, it may very well be providing the functionality for the cost you pay. It's these reason I think the FSD license should be tied to the owner and not the vehicle. I myself drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off so its not such a huge concern to me but I am also the minority...

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I reserved a tri motor CT as the site went live, but the longer I own a Tesla the more I dislike the companies practices.

I purchased a 2019 model M3 med range in February of 2019. The next month they discontinued it. Huge depreciation. Now with updates (the SR battery now has a longer range), new upgrades/features and price drops to LR and SR models my MR has depreciated over $20000 in value. Its even listed in KBB as the cheapest.

Will this behavior continue with CT? Should early adopters of their new Truck be put through this same bullshit.

I get tech improves. But the worst thing they can do is drop the prices. Just come out with a lower end model.
I worry about a lot of things. Global warming, my kids growing up safe, gas prices, changing my light bulbs to leds... but not depreciation on my Cybertruck. I'm going to drive it the rest of my days, so what do I care about market value?

Last edited:

CybertruckCovers

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cybertruckcovers.com
Vehicles
Foundation Series CyberBeast (Order Confirmed)
Occupation
Cybertruck Parts & Accessories Development
Country flag
I've had a car depreciate by $50K and another car appreciate by $60K. You never know how things may work out or what may eventually become a collector's item.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag

Technology changes things of today in just few months, look at home computers same thing happens, before it's a year old the new one is out and better.
When I look at a vehicle purchase I consider if it will fit my needs for the next ten years, I don't have the personal wealth to consider a replacement every few years. But I am a truck man...and a truck will hold its value better than most cars. If a truck that has note worth history it will have a better resale value. My Truck is 16 years old and has a very good resale value but, I am keeping it until I drive the wheels square. The only way I know how to extract every last dime I spent on it.
I know some folks buy for lifestyle or just want one. I buy for real need, and make a good choice with good research. A purposed vehicle with a good reputation should last a long time.....I own the worst car you could buy for reliability and it's a landrover Discovery you can find them for cheap because the repair cost is so high no one keeps them that long. Mine is 26 years old and I have owned it for 23 years. It still runs very well and in great shape. I know it won't last for another ten years with me,
I never had to buy a car for 23 years so I could do other things with my money like buy properties.
My point here is buy truly what you need otherwise it can become a gamble to consider a vehicle as investment. EV's are changing so rapidly with battery tech and software that most Tesla's today will improve in the next year. Trucks usually cost more to buy, cost more to maintain, cost more for tires and insurance is more also. I plan on a dual motor, still thinking of moving up to tri but ,for sure will pass it on to my sons when I hit the grave with both feet in first...lol
Good luck with your future choice of Cybertruck, you know the first Roadster is still one hell of a sports car that puts a lot of other sports cars to shame.

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag

Buddy I am just surprised that as a Tesla owner you have not get the company main objective: acceleration to the transaction in renewable energy. The goal of making E-cars always more affordable was their mission statement. We all knew the first models were going to be "pricey" until production would go to profit (which is still nominal). I am also sure that when Tesla shall get its S#!% together service will improve. I am positive that our CT will do everything but depreciate.
Sponsored