Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Reasons not to buy this feature:

Reason #1 - Yes, this is a cool feature, but personally I'm not one to jump on the next coolest thing. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on new technology of this nature. Pretty gutsy to just sit in a vehicle and let the car be in control! Not when I've been driving for 35 years.

Reason #2 - It costs $10,000!! I want to see what other features the CT will have. Maybe I'd rather not spend my money on this feature. Maybe I'd want to upgrade other things before I spent $10k on this.

Reason #3 - My wife would be a nervous freaking wreck sitting in the passenger side. She already freaks out how I drive, let alone a computer driving her...lol.

Just my opinion....
Reasons to add FSD to your reservation:
  1. Adding FSD to your order is currently free. If you decide to take delivery with FSD adding it now before 10/26 will save you $2000.
  2. If you decide to not take delivery with FSD it is free to remove it.
  3. Currently FSD is being developed with serious vigor so none of know what the feature will truly be like when we take delivery of our CT.
  4. Since FSD is a software option, even if it isn’t quite as good as we want it to be at delivery, it will continue to be improved so at some point soon it could meet our expectations.
  5. If you decide to keep FSD at the time of delivery, you don’t actually have to use it till it improves to the point that you and your passengers feel comfortable using it.
  6. Adding FSD to your order now is a risk free investment of $0 that has the nearly instantaneous possible savings of $2000 but as the FSD price continues to go up will be even more of a payoff later. This investment is currently 0 risk but at the time of delivery will have only the risk of $8000 for the feature that may be reliable enough for you to trust. If you do not add the feature now, but decide later that you do want it, you will have to pay a higher price.
In my case, I’ve added FSD from the get go. I will wait till delivery time to finally decide if I will actually buy FSD. By that time, I will have MUCH more information about the feature and how much I think it is worth to me. Plus I will have a much better picture as to my own finances and how much I will be willing to part with for the FSD feature.
Sponsored

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's a neat feature, but the price is getting ridiculous.
I could not agree more. Pit the poor guys who bought a Tesla a few years ago and paid several thousand for what? Ziltch. I drive a Model 3, have put up my $100.00 for my CYBETRK, and own a fair number of shares of stock. In other words, I'm a fanboy. But no way in heck would I pay even $5,000 for FSD. How could anyone possibly, possibly benefit from this feature at $10,000?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm trying to be optimistic about the long term implications of FSD. I drive all day almost every day for work, so I'm trying to frame it as basically hiring someone to do that job for me on freeways and highways, hopefully city streets soon too. It would be nice even for the major stretches of freeway I need to take to get home.

I have it reserved, but if the basic AP tech stays where it is, then I may take it off. However, I'm also considering the future of Robotaxi. Ideally buying FSD up front will mean that I can just switch my truck on to make me some extra cash on the weekend nights when tipsy winos need to get around Sonoma county.

It's a value gamble for sure, I'm optimistic it'll pay off.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
i added FSD when i ordered my CT last year at 7k kinda glad i did now. I can always opt out when i actually get my CT, but for now it's saving some cash.

what I am more interested in is will FSD become a subscription based feature (as elon as stated it will) before the CT is produced rather than 7k out of pocket. I am hoping I have the option when i take delivery.

for example If FSD is like $9.99 a month we are taking 58 years of FSD for 7k. Even if it's $19.99 a month that's still 29 years of FSD at subscription to break even. I am 50 years old, i wont be alive in 58 years lol (unless some medical breakthroughs happen) and I doubt the CT will last that long

heck if you figure the "average" age of a CT to be 20 years old (most cars on the road today the average age is between 9 and 16 years depending on the state) that's $29.16 per month subscription to break even on the 7k buy in.

But that 20 year figure is VERY generous, look at computer power today vs 20 years go the intel pentium iii was 1ghz monster, your smartphone is more powerful now......and these are VERY computer centric vehicles.

when you look at it at 10k, its even worse.

blackcoffeematters

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota Tacoma, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This made me double-check my CT reservation. Dual-motor with FSD. Going over the advertised specs, I really hope "300+" miles of range turns out to be closer to 350. In two years (about when this will be delivered) 300 miles will not be that much range.

FSD for 8k? Without a doubt, yes.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I added it and agree completely with the reasons (to do so) listed above.
Also, you add it now, but there is still a year or two (or three) of continued development between now and accepting a new Cybertruck.
That’s. Long time to gather data and make improvements.
I am not interested in sending my vehicle out on its own right now, but eVeN the idea of sendIng it off for a friend to borrow for a move or to pick up a remote order from a store...
And, in the case of an emergency It might even save a life by getting someone to the hospital faster than an EMT could arrive.
Elon was asked about changing the purchase model of FSD at the investor call. After a decent pause, he replied that they would consider it.
On the YouTube show Tesla Time News they mentioned hearing Elon say a subscription model might also be possible. Of course this presupposes you have the correct hardware installed.

Edit: LOL! While I slowly typed, two messages were posted, so someone already mentioned the subscription...

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
Yes you can edit your reservation and that price will be locked in
I read that if you add it you go to the back of the line

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I read that if you add it you go to the back of the line
untrue, your reservation # is your reservation #. FAIK that does not change unless you cancel your order. Now changing from a dual to a tri motor might be a different story.

Edit: LOL! While I slowly typed, two messages were posted, so someone already mentioned the subscription...
Oh those darn fast typers LOL

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
I added it and agree completely with the reasons (to do so) listed above.
Also, you add it now, but there is still a year or two (or three) of continued development between now and accepting a new Cybertruck.
That’s. Long time to gather data and make improvements.
I am not interested in sending my vehicle out on its own right now, but eVeN the idea of sendIng it off for a friend to borrow for a move or to pick up a remote order from a store...
And, in the case of an emergency It might even save a life by getting someone to the hospital faster than an EMT could arrive.
Elon was asked about changing the purchase model of FSD at the investor call. After a decent pause, he replied that they would consider it.
On the YouTube show Tesla Time News they mentioned hearing Elon say a subscription model might also be possible. Of course this presupposes you have the correct hardware installed.

I would prefer the subscription method I don’t see spend that much up front and not being approved to use it for 5 to 6 years and I’m ready for a new vehicle if I’m in it I will drive it. When you purchase does it stay with you or the vehicle

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
im actually going to try to add it to my base 40k CT. I got in at 8k. I plan to keep the truck as long as it survives.
Im hoping that 8k can be recouped at some point in its life via the eventual self driving network.
I really wonder though... is getting the FSD is a guarantee they will upgrade your hardware if necessary.

if you got fsd on an older model, say a 2014 S. did they upgrade you for free to the current modern sensors and computers

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
My suggestion? Go to your Tesla Account and hit the “edit design” option before Monday and choose FSD to lock in the $8k price. When you get the Tesla e-mail to configure your build for production you can always drop it. I did this with all 3 of my Cybertruck reservation (two Dual Motor and one Single Motor).

My guess is that FSD will be $12k to $14k by the time the trucks actually go into production.

Last edited:

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Reasons not to buy this feature:

Reason #3 - My wife would be a nervous freaking wreck sitting in the passenger side. She already freaks out how I drive, let alone a computer driving her...lol.

Just my opinion....
I feel ya, In my case my wife will probably choose the computer...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lots of computer programs are sold this way, though. A startup needs cash, wants to finance the development, development takes time, they need a user pool... So they sell lifetime licenses or the potential to roll over to licenses in the future. Most video games until recently were sold this way! A large number of art programs, lots of social media sites... Early adopters get preferential treatment.

I know why it should be expensive: They're building something that should have massive demand and massive liability. They have to price those things into the product.

I'm not entirely certain why they're raising the price now, though. Except that Tesla has a target price they want to sell it for, so they're building it up to that price, slowly raising it to lower sticker shock from the raises. I also know there's some functions of a select audience: People value something priced higher more, no matter how much value they get out of it. People also are more careful with something they paid more for than something they paid less for. And lastly, this limits the number of buyers, and hence, the number of support calls.

I really hope it doesn't continue to increase in price. The more vehicles using it, the safer other people on the road are likely to be. And we want to encourage the development and adoption of safety measures.

-Crissa

PS, So... I'm not sure how to really price that. Maybe if it's proven safe, begin government support of the developers? The more safe miles driven, the more edge cases handled safely, the more they get paid?