Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla's FSD Air Suspension Upgrades May Make Cybertruck Even Better
https://insideevs.com/2020/11/27/

Will the Tesla Cybertruck be that most 'adaptable' pickup truck ever?

Elon Musk took to Twitter this week and commented about work that is currently happening on Tesla's air suspension. He said the system's height and dampening algorithm "is getting a lot of attention." He shared that this will be linked to Tesla's Full Self-Driving technology for automatic adjustments.

This Musk tweet actually came as a reply during a time that many Tesla owners were offering Musk suggestions. John Edward Garcia asked for voice commands for the air suspension and ride height. Musk replied "Ok," and then added the other information.

Keep in mind, the Tesla Model S and Model X already have an air suspension. However, the Model 3 and Model Y are Tesla's best-sellers, and neither offers the feature. If it's going to be linked to FSD to make the technology more responsive, it would only make sense for it to at least be available in the 3 and Y. Perhaps Tesla will finally offer an adaptive air suspension for all of its vehicles? If it's an integral part of FSD, the automaker may have no choice down the road. Thus far, Musk has ruled it out.

As Teslarati points out, it's a bit strange that Tesla would focus so much energy on a feature that's only going into its flagship cars. It's also strange if Musk knows how much this will help out with FSD and he doesn't implement it in the Model 3 and Y. However, the publication points to the Cybertruck as perhaps the big reason Tesla putting so much energy into this.

Today's pickup truck owners are varied. Many truck owners in the U.S. don't even buy their trucks for work or hauling, though they may take advantage of the capability from time to time. Other truck owners are specifically seeking out the most capable, work-friendly truck available. What if you could have ride quality better than the coddling Ram 1500 and the prowess of something like the Ford F-250 or Chevy Silverado 2500?

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: Cybertruck's air suspension will be linked to FSD and respond automatically 16A94861-1AAE-4A78-BE1B-3619E8903B7F
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Any1 wanna explain how changing suspension integrated with fsd matters?
Personally I dont ever think, well I sure wish my suspension was higher, softer, lower, harder, or whatever when driving. If u need it changed for something specific I would do it at that time.

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
Personally I dont ever think, well I sure wish my suspension was higher, softer, lower, harder, or whatever when driving. If u need it changed for something specific I would do it at that time.
My guess is FSD will detect the speed bump ahead of time and adjust air suspension to where you barely feel it. Would be great if they had an option “ignore speed bumps”

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I will be really impressed if Cybertruck's air suspension lifts/drops right/left sides of the car while cornering to minimize the body roll and to reduce centrifugal forces in the cabin. There are 3 variables for centrifugal force:
  • Speed of the vehicle
  • Corner radius
  • Load
Speed and corner radius can be known in advance by the Cybertruck's computer only if it's driven in FSD so it can calculate the appropriate body roll before/while entering a corner.

Not only it will improve the stability of the car in the corner by shifting the center of gravity but it will also improve greatly the comfort for the cabin occupants. If Tesla implements this, it will make CT the ultimate robotaxi (and the ultimate FSD track truck :)).
BTW all above will be applicable to Model Y as well as it seems that MY is getting air suspension somewhere in the future.
All this is only a speculation, I might be wrong, but it makes so much sense that I hope I'm not.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Maybe simple things like, going onto freeway, go to lowest setting,semi hard. Driving in oakland(or anywhere where the truck historically senses jarring roads) set softer. I guess that would be good, speedbumps too, hmm, maybe lowering when stopping for passangers like buss'.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I think the air suspension will be one of the CT’s greatest features. For example, it could automatically drop to its lowest suspension setting when getting in or out of the vehicle.

MikeThier

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Well... my municipality has added speed bumps to my neighborhood all over the place to discourage young twenty somethings to stop racing their hopped up cars so I'd REALLY like a suspension which makes the drive smoother haha.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well... my municipality has added speed bumps to my neighborhood all over the place to discourage young twenty somethings to stop racing their hopped up cars so I'd REALLY like a suspension which makes the drive smoother haha.
From what I’ve seen of FSD beta, it will slow down for speed bumps. Perhaps with the linked suspension, it will adjust the ride instead of the speed over speed bumps.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
When the CT detects you're in a traffic jam, it raises to maximum height so you can see what the issue is..... ;-)

Deployable drone with birds eye view will be optional.

:cool:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
When the CT detects you're in a traffic jam, it raises to maximum height so you can see what the issue is..... ;-)

Deployable drone with birds eye view will be optional.

:cool:
I’d be all for the cartoon option of suspension that expands and raises the CT to the point it can drive over another car with the tires on either side. Would allow us to drive to the front of traffic. LOL.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
I’d be all for the cartoon option of suspension that expands and raises the CT to the point it can drive over another car with the tires on either side. Would allow us to drive to the front of traffic. LOL.
In the new Beta FSD it can be seen that the FSD evades debris on the road....
so it might lift the car to make more room for unavoidable smale fast objects crossing the road.
???? and ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In the new Beta FSD it can be seen that the FSD evades debris on the road....
so it might lift the car to make more room for unavoidable smale fast objects crossing the road.
???? and ?
LOL. If it tries to lift to evade a ? it might just end up jumping right up into the air!!

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
im hoping for multiple driving modes in the CT...all linked to power, steering effort, throttle response, regain, tc, suspension dampening/height, etc....eg comfort, normal, sport, snow, off-road - baja, off-road -rock crawl, off-road - sand/mud....pick. a mode and you're optimized, then give option to fine tune within each mode for personalization...possible with other current vehicles, so I would think they'd go this route as it's all software and some ev specific capabilities will make it better than current offerings on ice vehicles....

Track mode on my M3P being an example of a current "mode"....although could still use some more user adjustable options

so much cool stuff that could be done via sw if the hardware is done right!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Says the guy who isn't getting fsd.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
and to reduce centrifugal forces in the cabin.
If a body (e.g. a human body) is to be moved along a curved path of radius r it must have a force m*r*omega^2 in which m is its mass and omega its angular velocity (speed divided by r) acting on it perpendicular to its velocity (perpendicular to the tangent to the curve). Thus passengers (and other objects) will be subject to centrifugal force. Were the centrifugal force reduced or removed within the cabin objects would not stay within the cabin. None of this has anything to do with who or what is driving. It's just the laws of motion.

Put another way, on object moving at uniform speed s along a curved path of radius r is undergoing acceleration of s^2/r
Sponsored

Last edited: