Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Let me get this straight: It is going to be 5% smaller.....no... 3% smaller.......no... actually it is going to stay the same size ........not smaller.......uh......3% smaller because Jay Leno got nervous ......or was that Elon that got nervous? Or was that "Bill and Ted" style nervous? Was that a "hair raising boring tunnel experience" or a "boring hare raising tunnel experience?" Bunnies are cute! Now that we are well into the "month or so" reveal of the changes in the CT we all know it was a typo. Should have been "Months or so on....." Just teasing! I would not want to have Elon's job, and I would never accept the pay if I couldn't do the job, but that's just me. I was raised by the WWI and WWII generations. Different breeds they were than what we see today.
Are you saying you can't do Elon's job because your parents are old? Your point isn't clear.
Sponsored

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
If you are a master of your domain with the ”timeless art of seduction“, you can look manly in any size CT.
ok that makes no sense, I want what was displayed at the roll out I don’t want a chopped top I’m 6’ 6” and want the full size. Garage space is no concern for me. The new size makes it look like a torpedo.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
ok that makes no sense, I want what was displayed at the roll out I don’t want a chopped top I’m 6’ 6” and want the full size. Garage space is no concern for me. The new size makes it look like a torpedo.
Does it? Will you notice 3% at all? I doubt Elon will be happy with losing 3% of cargo/passenger space, so it probably didn't lose that.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I was just horsing around. You mentioned shrinkage. I thought you may get a chuckle out of a Seinfeld reference. It was a failed joke.

I wouldn’t dismiss the truck until you see it. They may get creative with the design. They may shave off the width from the plastic around the wheel. you may not feel the difference as much as you think. Give it a chance

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
...multi layered Solar Cells are on the way...
...capturing different wavelengths of light with the different layers...
...therefore becoming much more efficient than 30%...
...I think what Elon doubts is the ability to mass manufacture those cheaply...
...which is where his focus lies...
...but he's still wrong, some kid will pull it off...

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
...multi layered Solar Cells are on the way...
...capturing different wavelengths of light with the different layers...
...therefore becoming much more efficient than 30%...
...I think what Elon doubts is the ability to mass manufacture those cheaply...
...which is where his focus lies...
...but he's still wrong, some kid will pull it off...
For anyone interested, do a google search of "perovskite solar cells". 40% efficiency seems like it may not be too far away. More efficient, inexpensive, flexible, works in low light.

https://scitechdaily.com/game-chang...odules-with-greater-size-power-and-stability/

Last edited:

kabloona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT
Country flag
Yeah, interesting.....

If I recall correctly, Elon had mused previously about dropping the size about 3%...for some of the reasons cited. People not being able to park it in their garage, et cetera...

Then later he said he had a meeting with Franz and determined they would *not* reduce the size, but would make some minor adjustments such as lowering the belt-line a touch.

Now he's back to shrinking the size to 97% of the CT prototype, and personally I'm happy about that.... :cool:

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Model S 70D, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss, .....
Country flag
I personally would prefer the original size. However, I assume considering that this is not the most aerodynamic design, 3% smaller would probably be better for range. As long as it can replace an f150 in practice, i can get over it.

Last edited:

smriddle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Did anyone else notice the comment of the Cybertruck range only being up to 300-something because of aerodynamics?! I'm going to cry if my tri-motor doesnt come close to 500 like originally suggested.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Did anyone else notice the comment of the Cybertruck range only being up to 300-something because of aerodynamics?! I'm going to cry if my tri-motor doesnt come close to 500 like originally suggested.
That isn't what he said.... he said initial production CT would have 300 miles range. Which is what CT2 has.... He is just saying they are going to do dual motor trucks first. He also said sharp edges hurts aerodynamics. What he is doing is comparing aerodynamics between CT and Model 3 or other smooth body shapes.... And in fact CT aerodynamics are not as good as that but they are pretty good for a pickup truck.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
My memory of interview is a bit foggy but the way Elan was talking about how flexing muscles get old fast and maximizing area under the curve for happiness and how you can go from east to west coast with 300 miles all was pointing to how unnecessary Tri-Motor is. It sounded like it goes against his goal of getting as many people in EVs as possible. Then again it may have been the booze talking.

Would you switch to dual if you find out Tri starts a year later?

Frankly I think everyone would be delayed. Model X rolled off assembly line 3.5 years after reveal. If CT has the same faith, we are looking at 2023.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I wonder why he was so adamant that solar panels would never get more efficient than 25-30%. Increased efficiency seems like the most obvious way to make vehicles with solar panels practical.
probably because nature hasn't broken that limit after billions of years of evolution.