Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I wonder why he was so adamant the solar panels would never get more efficient than 25-30%. Increased efficiency seems like the most obvious way to make solar panels with vehicles practical.
I think, the issue is more the limit of how much energy is packed in the photons hitting the panels. It seems like it is enough for Aptera though.
Sponsored

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I have heard his name before but never watched any of this stuff. Is his deal that he brings in a guest as an audience and then just goes adlib about anything while the guest gets uncomfortable? ?

Anyway, CT being too big for the boring tunnel seems like a really bad reason. Is the Boring Company really trying to get all these big tunneling jobs without being able to adjust the size of the tunnel they offer? Was the test tunnel perfect and the limiting factor for all their designs now? I’m sure there were other reasons for the shrinkage. One reason could be to make it just a notch closer to a world truck as they’re usually smaller elsewhere, while still keeping essential bed size etc. Another could be to fit inside a typical (full size) garage. Or maybe there was some “wasted” space in the 3% bigger one. Maybe wind tunnel testing dictated resizing? Is it more proportional design-wise now? I don’t know but that just sounded like a good anecdote, like the one about him ordering the rockets to be more pointy because of a movie.

Nice to get some new info though. Thanks!
I have watched and still watch a lot of Joe Rogan interviews on Youtube, it all depends on the person being interviewed if they get uncomfortable, Elon is awkward when being interviewed, but IMO Joe does his best to get people relaxed. One of my favorite recent interviews was comedian Ron White.

I found the parts of the interview most interesting when Elon was talking about Space X, such as the existence of aliens and getting the Space X engineers to design a more pointy rocket because he saw it in a movie and that boarder line made the rocket worse

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Although both statements are most likely (pending who wins the race with mutations) true, I believe his point of view is driven by the fact that climate change has made him the richest man on the planet but response to COVID is working against him. Although I do not question his primary motive, I believe the other reason he is selective with his panics may be because some panics are more profitable than others.

I do have to admit being on the safe side with regards to COVID did not have serious implications like loss of income or property for me. If I had my own business, I probably would be singing a different tune. The reason this bugged me, is that a lot of folks idealize Elon and many listen to the other dude. Looking at the number of deaths after Thanks giving and Christmas caused mostly by folks that didn’t panic enough, I find it irresponsible for these guys not to keep their opinion to themselves on this issue. I am going way off topic on something that is divisive. Better stop here.
I like to hear people's opinions, yours and theirs! If we want corporations to be responsible citizens we have to hear and discuss their opinions and actions.
I disagree with you that Elons motivation is money.... I think by his actions and words he has consistently come in on the side of what he believes is right, he hasn't obscured those opinions or lied about them and he has even changed his opinions on some topics if he was wrong. Seems like a decent dude to me.
I can understand the fear of elderly people especially if they have comorbidities, but I have never been in favor of the lockdown, I think its unsustainable and mortgages the future to protect elderly, who, to be frank, are not our future. It would have been much better in my opinion to have a mask mandate enforced with fines and a quarantine for the elderly and skip the shut down.
Back in the days of tuberculosis people spent years in quarantine so it can be done.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Elon talked during battery day about the possibility of using different chemistries, so in theory, the CT isnt "competing" for batteries/cells with anything other than the Semi, which is likely not to be in full production yet.
They may be competing with themselves for the same limited resource. If the Tri takes more cells (whether double-stacked or not) to get to 500mi range, then it stands to reason that they could hit higher delivery targets on the Dual up front. If cells == miles, then they could make 5 Dual for every 3 Tri for the same # of cells. (I'm well aware I'm over-simplifying it to make a point.)

rarburt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
UX Designer
Country flag
I like to hear people's opinions, yours and theirs! If we want corporations to be responsible citizens we have to hear and discuss their opinions and actions.
I disagree with you that Elons motivation is money.... I think by his actions and words he has consistently come in on the side of what he believes is right, he hasn't obscured those opinions or lied about them and he has even changed his opinions on some topics if he was wrong. Seems like a decent dude to me.
I can understand the fear of elderly people especially if they have comorbidities, but I have never been in favor of the lockdown, I think its unsustainable and mortgages the future to protect elderly, who, to be frank, are not our future. It would have been much better in my opinion to have a mask mandate enforced with fines and a quarantine for the elderly and skip the shut down.
Back in the days of tuberculosis people spent years in quarantine so it can be done.
nice "common sense" approach to covid. True science never has and never will support lockdown measures. If live's saved is the measure of success data shows that we have sacrificed much more than we have saved. And agreed, we have sacrificed younger generations for older. Makes sense though that childless generations want to save time with their grandparents as they don't have their own children to consider.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Per Elon:

“That’s pretty much what it [the Cybertruck] will look like, with very small differences. You know, we adjusted the size a few percent. Like around 3% or smaller. You don’t want it to be a couple of inches too big for the Boring tunnel,” said Musk.

Joe Rogan on Spotify

Listening now
- starts talking Roadster at 58:35
- starts talking CyberTruck at 77:40
- starts talking CyberVan at 93:20[/boring]
FYI He doesn't actually say ".....too big for the Boring tunnel"

What he actually said was 79:10

"....it will be a couple of inches too big for the Tunnel..."

Of course we can assume he meant the Boring Tunnel.

Although, do we really think he would build a truck just so it can fit in Boring Tunnels in Las Vegas, and maybe someday Miami? Maybe everyone just convinced him make it a bit smaller so it can fit in a parking space...or most parking spaces....and maybe some garages.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Per Elon:

“That’s pretty much what it [the Cybertruck] will look like, with very small differences. You know, we adjusted the size a few percent. Like around 3% or smaller. You don’t want it to be a couple of inches too big for the Boring tunnel,” said Musk.
Two take aways from the Joe Rogan Podcast with Elon.

1) Guy is freakin' brilliant ...whether he is talking climate change...valid reasons for a Carbon Tax.... electric airplanes....the periodic tables, battery technology or drag coefficients.

2) Despite originally saying the 500 mile TriMotor would come first, he implied the 300+ mile range truck will come first.

Which would be a huge disappointment. If the TriMotor production gets pushed back after the Single and Dual, I might be waiting until 2024.

CyberTuck

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model3 RWD Long Range, and soon Cybetruck tri motor
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
He confirmed that it would be 3% smaller. The main reason for the change was because it can't fit in the Boring Tunnel. Citing that the test drive through with Jay Leno was too "hair raising".
Maybe the reason for the size down is because of what the 8000 ton press capacity is or something along those lines.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I didn't think they ever said which would be first... other than initially saying tri would be later than moving it up and saying single would be later. I think yes it's a battery constraint. I think 500+ mile battery means the high nickel batteries same as semi....
Both use the same batteries, they said the tri just has twice as many of them.

(We usually don’t dig though, sometimes dig/grind with a TBM built in place, but usually and in this case drill and blast).
Yes, the digging machines 'actually' grind. But this is English, where there are always general wide use words and narrow use words which don't work outside of their original context.

The Cybertruck can't be the best truck it can be if it can't go all the places we want it to.

Elon talked during battery day about the possibility of using different chemistries, so in theory, the CT isnt "competing" for batteries/cells with anything other than the Semi, which is likely not to be in full production yet.
Manufacturing. They still use the same machines, only one or two component materials are slightly different. So they are still 'competing' for the major constraint.

nice "common sense" approach to covid. True science never has and never will support lockdown measures.
Science doesn't do that.

The assumptions you make do that.

Lockdowns work. Science proves that. The evidence does. The problem is, people can't lockdown forever. Not only do they get tired of it, things still need to get done. A lockdown is the sprint of reductions, and we need a marathon. But there comes a time to sprint, and in this case that's to keep our resource allocation within bounds.

The problems come that people are diverse in their reactions: some want no risk (which isn't possible) and some want no restrictions (which is also not responsible). The latter will always screw up the marathon, and the former may not let us make preparations.

-Crissa

Last edited:

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
New dimensions with 3% reduction.
New
L: 224.8"
W: 77.5"
H: 72.75"

Old:
L: 231.7"
W: 79.8"
H: 75"

For cross reference.
2020 Toyota Tundra crew max:
L: 228.9"
W: 79.9
H: 76.2

2021 F150 supercrew 5.5ft bed 4x4.

L: 231.7
W: 79.9
H: 77.2
Still the same OAL as a Chevy Suburban guys, so it’s not a big change. Crucially, it’ll be under 19.5 feet long, which WILL fit in almost all standard US garage bays. I’m for it ?
Sponsored