pumpkin curry

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual Moter AWD
Occupation
Country flag
Install a spare tire on the tailgate of the pop-up roof cyber truck camper.
Tire dimensions are dia 35 x wide 12.5"(889 x 317.5mm).
The tailgate can be opened after turning the spare tire holder 90 degrees.
There are two types of pop-up roof (horizontal and inclined type).

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate W1

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate W2

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate W3

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate W4

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F1

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F2

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F3

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate F4
Sponsored

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Love the camper idea. I've been mentioning for so long how a camper could be made similar to the tent package on the Cybertruck that was shown on the Tesla website. I would be far more interested in something like this where it actually makes use out of the Cybertruck bed than some big bulky camper that sits in the bed and over the roof.

The furniture (other than the bed) that's inside on image F3 could make use of the Ltracks and Tslots in the bed to easily secure them and it would eliminate the need to have them fixed to the camper attackment, allowing it to be more lightweight for putting it on and taking off the Cybertruck.

The only question I have is how is the Spare mount secured to the Cybertruck? It doesn't appear to be attached to the camper, so would this be welded on to the truck body in your design? I'd love an option to include a spare but I don't think i'd put on any sport of permanent attachment with welding.

Morristhecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
The only question I have is how is the Spare mount secured to the Cybertruck? It doesn't appear to be attached to the camper, so would this be welded on to the truck body in your design? I'd love an option to include a spare but I don't think i'd put on any sport of permanent attachment with welding.
Yeah, it does look really cool. I wonder if they spare could be mounted to the hitch somehow? That way it could be removed.

Also, I think the spare should move from the left side to the right side, as the left side will have the charge port and with the spare you will be pressed for cable length at the superchargers.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Love the drawings. Couple of Q's:

Is this an extension of a previous design doc?

Are these best guesses on dimensions?

What's the official status of the spare? Unknown? Unofficial rumor evidence?

F4 has tailgate to "center" at 3090mm and CT bed at 1981mm ( in F1, 1980mm in F3 and F4). That's roughly 121 inches or a bit more than 10 feet. I love how the camper can be put in many different positions depending. 2120mm for the camper bed is about 6'9". Is this a normal length for a bed in a sleeper? A king bed is 2030mm - which I prefer - so I would imagine it's enough for me. I guess my question is how does it compare to other on-vehicle campers?

How is it secured to the vehicle?

One other thing, the camper is the focus, the spare is nice but it shouldn't be the lede.

Overall, very well done. Congrats.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Yeah, it does look really cool. I wonder if they spare could be mounted to the hitch somehow? That way it could be removed.

Also, I think the spare should move from the left side to the right side, as the left side will have the charge port and with the spare you will be pressed for cable length at the superchargers.
A hitch mounted spare is definitely an option. There are already products to mount a spare to a hitch rack and it's something I would consider buying if i'm going on a far away camping trip where the bed will already be utilized.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
What's the official status of the spare? Unknown? Unofficial rumor evidence?

How is it secured to the vehicle?
there isn't any official update on whether there will be a spare or not, we're all just hoping.

As for securing it to the Cybertruck, i'm not sure how it's intended to be secured in the photos, but there are removable covers that can be seen along the left and right sides of the Cybertruck, from right next to the tailgate, about halfway up to the top of the cybertruck, and one more a few inches from the top. These would be the most likely place that people will mount racks too and something like this camper and the Tesla tent package.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
there isn't any official update on whether there will be a spare or not, we're all just hoping.

As for securing it to the Cybertruck, i'm not sure how it's intended to be secured in the photos, but there are removable covers that can be seen along the left and right sides of the Cybertruck, from right next to the tailgate, about halfway up to the top of the cybertruck, and one more a few inches from the top. These would be the most likely place that people will mount racks too and something like this camper and the Tesla tent package.
I'm aware of the slots. I'm also aware of the L-track on the inside. The reason I asked is that it could be either or both. Additionally, if you put the trailer down the "sail slots". How exactly does it come back out? Current bed campers have stilts with manual cranks or motors that allow for the raising and lowering. I don't see any stilts on this design.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm aware of the slots. I'm also aware of the L-track on the inside. The reason I asked is that it could be either or both. Additionally, if you put the trailer down the "sail slots". How exactly does it come back out? Current bed campers have stilts with manual cranks or motors that allow for the raising and lowering. I don't see any stilts on this design.
tradition pickup truck campers slide into the the bed, they have their own floors and furniture all built in and some even have large water tanks, grey tanks if you want a small kitchen and shower inside as well. All of that has quite a bit of weight, so they require those stilts with cranks so you can back up and easily put it down in the bed of the truck.

I'm just speculating, obviously we don't know what this would require but the picture in F4 looks like the furniture would just be placed in the bed of the truck and could even use the Ltracks and Tslots to secure furniture in place. So maybe this camper doesn't have walls that come down against the walls of the bed, it probably doesn't have a floor, it most likely wouldn't have a small kitchen, a shower, a small generator for pumps, or a lot of that extra weight that lots of campers have. So maybe it will be possible to put on and take off with just a few people to help.

If you don't have extra people, there are still ways to take it off or put it on without built in stilts. It's possible that a setup like this could come with 4 tall jack stands for you to park between and then just secure it to the stands and drive away. When something like this is an actual product that people can buy it'll be interesting to see which method they use to installing and removing, but there are quite a few different ways i've seen for things like this. Stilts are obviously the most common for something extremely heavy.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
You unlatch it from the slots before driving away?

-Crissa
I'm missing something here, so the trailer floats in mid-air?? I'm talking about when it's time to take the whole camper off the CT. I get that the sail shafts could be detachable but how does the camper go to and from storage into the bed? Heave-ho, piece meal? Really I'm asking the OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Brilliant! I want the first one. Any manufacturing plans? I'd like to see the top shell made of aluminum and the windows on the tent be HUGE. I would like to see it manufactured by Colorado Camper Van. They are the best. I have a CCV pop top on my Promaster van. The key to lowering the top and not crimping the fabric is the very strong sucking of the exhaust fan.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate PMCCV Top Up copy 2

OP
OP
pumpkin curry

pumpkin curry

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual Moter AWD
Occupation
Country flag
Modified previous design.
A spare tire is mounted on a trailer hitch.
If a spare tire is mounted, it will blind the license plate, so another secondary license plate is required.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate IMG_20200621_134744 x1240

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate 8059B7D0-270F-4501-A748-AFE51E265DE4-1 x1240

Last edited:
OP
OP
pumpkin curry

pumpkin curry

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Dual Moter AWD
Occupation
Country flag

Modified previous design.
The spare tire is mounted on a trailer hitch.
If a spare tire is mounted, it will blind the license plate, so another secondary license plate is required.
And the position has moved to the right side.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate IMG_20200621_134744 x1240

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck camper with spare tire carrier on tailgate 8059B7D0-270F-4501-A748-AFE51E265DE4-1 x1240

Sponsored

Last edited: