HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I hope that does not mean we get a $10K price increase too.
Based on how uncompetitive the Ford F-150 Lightning is when matching specs to the Cybertruck, it would not surprise me if Tesla increased the price for those without reservations. It's a screaming deal as it is.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
TESLA CYBERTRUCK: ELON MUSK REVEALS UPDATED VERSION MAY BE UNVEILED SOON

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-tweaked-version

A REVISED VERSION OF THE TESLA CYBERTRUCK MAY BE UNVEILED "IN A MONTH OR SO," ELON MUSK REVEALED SUNDAY.

The all-electric truck, first revealed in November 2019, is set to hit roads in late 2021. Musk, the Tesla CEO who presented the truck at the Tesla Design Studio in Los Angeles 12 months ago, suggested via his Twitter page Sunday that the company would soon show images of how the truck has changed over the past year. In response to a question about whether the Cybertruck will be an "ass-kicker," Musk replied that it's "basically a tank from the future that’s road-legal, so yeah."

The reveal could answer some of the biggest questions about the Cybertruck's evolving design. Musk has regularly teased that the final version of the Cybertruck will be better than the prototype. During last month's third-quarter 2020 earnings call, Musk said there are "a lot of small improvements compared to what was unveiled," and that the final truck will be "better than what we showed."

"With Tesla, we really aim to make the car that is delivered better than the car that is unveiled," Musk said in the call. "It always drove me crazy. Car companies would unveil these awesome looking cars. Like great, can't wait til they make that! And then the car they actually make is much worse. It's, like, really disappointing."

How will it change is the big question. In February, Musk outlined a couple of planned changes. This included a revised body width from 84 inches down to 82 inches and "upper laser blade lights" as standard. The specifications provided at the truck's unveiling claimed it measured 79.8 inches wide, 75 inches tall and 231.7 inches long.

In a May appearance on Jay Leno's Garage, Musk claimed the final design would be around five percent smaller. However, soon after this clip went live, Musk explained that he'd reviewed the car with head of design Franz von Holzhausen and even reducing the size three percent would not be possible. He also wrote that the car would be "pretty much this size."

Another planned change, as mentioned in May, is a "smaller, tight world truck at some point." This alternative version would be intended for markets like Europe with smaller roads. Musk has confirmed he's not against shipping the full-size version to Australia and New Zealand.

Tesla is also expected to tweak the alloy used in the Cybertruck. Musk explained in July that SpaceX is "rapidly changing alloy constituents & forming methods" as it develops its Mars-bound Starship, and the Cybertruck is also expected to receive changes. The truck's angular design comes form the fact that it uses ultra-hard 30X steel that makes shaping difficult.

The Tesla Cybertruck is expected to start shipping in limited quantities by the end of 2021. The truck starts at $39,900 for a single-motor rear-wheel-drive version with 250 miles of range, going up to a $69,900 version with tri-motor all-wheel-drive and over 500 miles of range.

Central to Tesla's production plans is Giga Texas. This new facility, under construction in Austin, will produce Cybertruck, the upcoming Semi truck, and Model 3 and Model Y cars for the eastern half of North America.

THE INVERSE ANALYSIS – It will be interesting to see how the Cybertruck changes before production. Fans witnessed a similar tweaking process before the Model 3 hit roads in July 2017, like sensor changes and tweaks to charging port colors.

Another change could be the addition of physical side mirrors. Current prototypes appear to use a camera-based system instead. While United States law currently requires cars to come with physical mirrors, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has explored changing the rule. Whether that change comes before the Cybertruck launches is another question.
Maybe I missed the part about the 8K ton Giga press but of all that I read there was absolutely no news. So why give a posting a title that bears no resemblance to the content? Am I missing something?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I hope that does not mean we get a $10K price increase too.
The $10k increase on the Model S Plaid didn't apply to customers who already placed their orders.

On the other hand, I wouldn't consider it impossible. I don't know how many people ordered the model S before the price increase but i'm guessing it wasn't that high of a number since it's a luxury vehicle. The Cybertruck has over one million preorders and I estimated in another thread that by the time of the launch it will probably have 1.1-1.2 million preorders and around 800,000+ of those orders would be serious ordered. I could be wrong as these are just my own personal estimates, but if i'm right, that's $8,000,000,000 of potential revenue lost if they decide to increase the price by $10,000 but not apply that increase to any preorder customers.

I don't think they would increase the price, but I'm ready for the possibility that they might due to the cost of supplies increasing as well.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It will be revealed four to six weeks after they get that larger 8000 ton IDRA casting press functional. In a Joe Tegtmeyer drone video about a month ago I saw that press, wrapped up and sitting 1500 feet from where it's going to be installed. Last week installation began of the concrete columns needed in the area the press is to be placed. (they need concrete columns for fire safety, as steel columns can easily warp and fail in a fire.)
I say it will be another month to get the roof over the press' area. Then another month to move and install the press into said area. Within two weeks of the first castings, Tesla will have a revised prototype, and another month to prepare it for release.
That puts us sometime in mid to late September.

The title of this thread should be:
Updated CyberTruck to be shown in a month or so AFTER WE GET THE 8000 TON CASTING MACHINE RUNNING!
Where did you say you saw the 8K ton gigapress because that would have been BIG news at gigaaustin. I suspect you are talking about a gas furnace. There is no 8K ton gigapress on site.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
GAH!
On 5 April he speculated some items were a larger gigapress, shown with the arrows at timestamp 1:08.
But then on 7 April he confirmed that those parts were actually aluminum smelters that support the press, and not the press itself.

OP
OP
Ehninger1212

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Maybe I missed the part about the 8K ton Giga press but of all that I read there was absolutely no news. So why give a posting a title that bears no resemblance to the content? Am I missing something?
Its a joke. But they do need that machine running. I could change it to when pigs fly and unicorns roam if I wanted to.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's a pretty good timeline actually. The press is crucial for production and once they get it up and running, i'm sure there will be a lot of training to do and testing to make sure it works properly. After the press is operational and ready for production, getting a completed Cybertruck to show the finished product wouldn't be all that difficult even if the production line isn't completely up and running yet.

Until then, we'll just have to keep tabs on the construction and try to figure out any hints we can as to Cybertruck secrets and how far away production is.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Its a joke. But they do need that machine running. I could change it to when pigs fly and unicorns roam if I wanted to.
Oh. Well, the timeline from arrival of 2 8K-ton gigapresses (1 front, 1 rear) would be approximately 2 months based on what we have seen at GA and beyond, but they will have never made these parts before and they may well have to tweak the dies and the alloy mix to get it right and that could make the testing period longer. They never get 2 gigapresses at once and there has been no indication as to when the first will arrive so if one showed up tomorrow and another in 2 months they couldn't make the parts before November. I suspect that the construction of the NE corner will inform us more of when the first 8K-ton gigapress will arrive than anything else. The first one arrived before they had made the first pad but I do not recall whether the concrete pillars were in yet. I bet they can be doing some battery production in 4 months from now.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Oh. Well, the timeline from arrival of 2 8K-ton gigapresses (1 front, 1 rear) would be approximately 2 months based on what we have seen at GA and beyond, but they will have never made these parts before and they may well have to tweak the dies and the alloy mix to get it right and that could make the testing period longer. They never get 2 gigapresses at once and there has been no indication as to when the first will arrive so if one showed up tomorrow and another in 2 months they couldn't make the parts before November. I suspect that the construction of the NE corner will inform us more of when the first 8K-ton gigapress will arrive than anything else. The first one arrived before they had made the first pad but I do not recall whether the concrete pillars were in yet. I bet they can be doing some battery production in 4 months from now.
I checked the videos. They started pouring pads for the first 3 gigapresses before they had all of the pillars up and definitely before any double Ts were up (January 6th) and the first Gigapress was delivered 2 weeks later, on January 21st. If they really are moving faster right now and the progression is roughly similar, we could see pads poured on that side in the next week and maybe a Gigapress delivered early in July. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
A REVISED VERSION OF THE TESLA CYBERTRUCK MAY BE UNVEILED "IN A MONTH OR SO," ELON MUSK REVEALED SUNDAY.
When Musk promises "In a month or so",
I expect the time be never "a month"
but rather "so"
or even "so-so" ?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
When Musk promises "In a month or so",
I expect the time be never "a month"
but rather "so"
or even "so-so" ?
He probably figured that after a couple of months there was no longer any point and just moved on. After all, we are unimportant.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
tesla-pickup-truck-1a.jpg

Pic from Teslarati.
Hell NO. I would dump my reservations and my shares if that BS was attempted. And this pictured style of sheetmetal would defeat the whole logic of the CT.
Remember when Elon stated that he hated the "bait and switch" game when getting vehicles to market.
I believe it was when he was driving with Jay Leno in the CT.