Where can I buy 30x cold rolled stainless steel for testing?

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
'Almost never' is not 'never'.

-Crissa
I agree. My point was that the statement “If it doesn’t go thru it comes back at you” was misinformation. Rarely can the word “never” be used in a statement and be accurate. Hence the reason I said almost never, it keeps my statement accurate.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
WRONG, almost never does it come back. The lead is relatively soft compared to the steel plate so it flattens and falls down, or fragments and goes perpendicular to the plate in all directions. The flattening or fragmenting of the bullet eats up almost all of the energy and there is no energy left to send it back your way. The only time you need to really worry about something coming back at you is if you are using steel or equivalent ammo. Steel ammo won’t deform much so it doesn’t lose as much energy on impact and does have a decent chance at coming back. Not too many steel handgun rounds left floating around since it has been banned. My guess is the big slow .45 has no chance of penetrating the 3mm stainless, the smaller and faster 9mm has a slim chance, and the ultra fast .357 will cut straight through.

This is dangerously incorrect. You can have ricochet of bullet fragments from shooting a steel target that can be severe enough to embed into your skin, or god forbid you aren't wearing eye-pro, blind you for life. The entire bullet will fragment when it hits steel, it's not like you'll have an entire bullet "bounce" off the target, thing of it like a huge splash of lead, which can go in any number of directions. I am a USPSA and 3-Gun shooter, and frequently get hit by such fragments.

We have minimum steel target distance that must be kept when designing shooting courses for a reason. Putting distance between yourself and the steel will typically allow enough time for the energy to dissipate before the fragments hit you.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
This is dangerously incorrect. You can have ricochet of bullet fragments from shooting a steel target that can be severe enough to embed into your skin, or god forbid you aren't wearing eye-pro, blind you for life. The entire bullet will fragment when it hits steel, it's not like you'll have an entire bullet "bounce" off the target, thing of it like a huge splash of lead, which can go in any number of directions. I am a USPSA and 3-Gun shooter, and frequently get hit by such fragments.

We have minimum steel target distance that must be kept when designing shooting courses for a reason. Putting distance between yourself and the steel will typically allow enough time for the energy to dissipate before the fragments hit you.
Nobody has mentioned distance at all. Clearly, you don’t want to stand at arms length and shoot anything, and that goes without the need for explanation. What was incorrect? If steel targets are so dangerous and you are frequently hit by ricochets then why do you continue entering USPSA matches? Why would you put yourself in a position where you are routinely hit by bullets and then come online and profess how dangerous it is? Anyone can enter a 3 gun match, knowing and understanding what you are doing is altogether different. Glad we have an expert here to explain and keep us all safe. The OP wants to do a test of the CT type steel and glass. What is wrong with that and why would you want to discourage him from a simple experiment that a lot of people would find interesting?

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Nothing stopping them from doing their own experiment. Just please let's not have this become a tragedy. Take all precautions. It's not so difficult to box in any fragments.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⌕䞫⻏?ć°șă‚»ć°șă„©âŒ•é•ż
Country flag
I would love to see full hard 3mm stainless tested. and half hard too. Elon only said "Ultra hard" i would assume that means full hard, but who knows.

just hang it from something with a chain on each side. sure you will lose a small amount of energy vs a solidly mounted plate, but its almost guranteed to not come back at you. and of course be not close

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Nobody has mentioned distance at all. Clearly, you don’t want to stand at arms length and shoot anything, and that goes without the need for explanation. What was incorrect? If steel targets are so dangerous and you are frequently hit by ricochets then why do you continue entering USPSA matches? Why would you put yourself in a position where you are routinely hit by bullets and then come online and profess how dangerous it is? Anyone can enter a 3 gun match, knowing and understanding what you are doing is altogether different. Glad we have an expert here to explain and keep us all safe. The OP wants to do a test of the CT type steel and glass. What is wrong with that and why would you want to discourage him from a simple experiment that a lot of people would find interesting?
Previously you stated "WRONG, almost never does it come back "... that is incorrect, and is dangerous for someone who doesn't understand the potential for spall to come back and hit them in the face. This potential for lead to come back at you especially increases on softer steel that might deform when hit by a round. OP might be proficient with a firearm, but someone else reading this forum might not be.

I shoot competitions because I love doing so, and compete in both USPSA and 3 gun on a national level for my branch of service. This isn't an ego-stroke, but I am not a casual competitor. Safety measures are in place for a reason, and taking spall (ricochet) hits during a match is just part of the ordeal.

OP's want to shoot some steel of similar grade to the CT is just fine, have at it and post the results. I was addressing your comment specifically.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Previously you stated "WRONG, almost never does it come back "... that is incorrect, and is dangerous for someone who doesn't understand the potential for spall to come back and hit them in the face. This potential for lead to come back at you especially increases on softer steel that might deform when hit by a round. OP might be proficient with a firearm, but someone else reading this forum might not be.

I shoot competitions because I love doing so, and compete in both USPSA and 3 gun on a national level for my branch of service. This isn't an ego-stroke, but I am not a casual competitor. Safety measures are in place for a reason, and taking spall (ricochet) hits during a match is just part of the ordeal.

OP's want to shoot some steel of similar grade to the CT is just fine, have at it and post the results. I was addressing your comment specifically.
And I was addressing a specific comment myself. You need to read the original statement I was referring to so you understand the context. It’s pretty obvious that the statement I was referring to and the statement I made myself were both referring to “it” as bullet, NOT some insignificant close range spall. It is a given that you don’t stand near whatever you are shooting, everyone knows that without being a black belt in 3 gun matches. Just like you don’t stand near an active train track. Just common sense and it’s not an efficient use of time to address every single possible action and outcome in a simple forum post. If it’s not an ego stroke you are looking for then why are you compelled to continually mention how qualified you are? I haven’t mentioned my qualifications once, but that does not mean I don’t have a similar or superior qualification collection than you. Taking spall hits during a match may be part of the ordeal as you say, but then again taking spall hits during Cybertruck experiments may be part of that ordeal too. What makes a Cybertruck experiment more dangerous than a USPSA match? Why do you feel its safe for you to shoot tens of thousands of rounds at steel plates but it’s not safe for The OP to shoot 3 rounds at a steel plate? Nothing in my post was “dangerously incorrect.” I would say the post was informative, as it was meant to be.

Last edited:

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
And I was addressing a specific comment myself. You need to read the original statement I was referring to so you understand the context. It’s pretty obvious that the statement I was referring to and the statement I made myself were both referring to “it” as bullet, NOT some insignificant close range spall. It is a given that you don’t stand near whatever you are shooting, everyone knows that without being a black belt in 3 gun matches. Just like you don’t stand near an active train track. Just common sense and it’s not an efficient use of time to address every single possible action and outcome in a simple forum post. If it’s not an ego stroke you are looking for then why are you compelled to continually mention how qualified you are? I haven’t mentioned my qualifications once, but that does not mean I don’t have a similar or superior qualification collection than you. Taking spall hits during a match may be part of the ordeal as you say, but then again taking spall hits during Cybertruck experiments may be part of that ordeal too. What‘s makes a Cybertruck experiment more dangerous than a USPSA match? Why do you feel its safe for you to shoot tens of thousands of rounds at steel plates but it’s not safe for The OP to shoot 3 rounds at a steel plate? Nothing in my post was “dangerously incorrect.”

Take your blood pressure meds, relax. I also am pretty sure I just stated that OP shooting steel and posting results is a fine idea, so idk where you're getting that from. ?‍♂ if you take issue with others telling strangers online to be careful when shooting steel, then idk what to tell you.

You say it is a given that someone might not stand 2ft from steel to shoot it, Youtube begs to differ when it comes to endless evidence of people doing really stupid stuff. "insignificant spall" could blind someone for life.

Wear eye pro and have fun out there.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
WRONG, almost never does it come back. The lead is relatively soft compared to the steel plate so it flattens and falls down, or fragments and goes perpendicular to the plate in all directions. The flattening or fragmenting of the bullet eats up almost all of the energy and there is no energy left to send it back your way. The only time you need to really worry about something coming back at you is if you are using steel or equivalent ammo. Steel ammo won’t deform much so it doesn’t lose as much energy on impact and does have a decent chance at coming back. Not too many steel handgun rounds left floating around since it has been banned. My guess is the big slow .45 has no chance of penetrating the 3mm stainless, the smaller and faster 9mm has a slim chance, and the ultra fast .357 will cut straight through.
Your right, lead will splatter where jacketed hollow points and brass will fragment. We always carried either brass or hollow point ammunition in either 45 ACP or 9mm.
Sponsored