Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I didn’t quite catch that this was to be a single sliding panel. That is physically impossible unless they change the roof line. The vault is wider than the peak of the roof where the sliding cover would go. The only way it could happen is if it were in multiple pieces which stack.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The single piece slider ends up sticking out about 18” and is about 8 inches too wide. Only way this works is if you make the opening to the vault smaller. I’d be ok with a smaller vault, but not with a vault which has overhanging sides and a huge lip in the front. The current lip is limiting enough.

Tesla Cybertruck Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. 1639966906290

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I didn’t quite catch that this was to be a single sliding panel. That is physically impossible unless they change the roof line. The vault is wider than the peak of the roof where the sliding cover would go. The only way it could happen is if it were in multiple pieces which stack.
Agree with you. Once we get into stackable sections, they just become wider slats in the rolling cover.

I don’t see any reason for a complete redesign. Improvement is always possible but a complete redesign does not add any real value unless a fatal flaw is observed

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Cybertruck rolling tonneau cover is basically an adaptation of a commercial garage door that rolls up into a canister. It’s nothing groundbreaking but it has never been adapted for use on a personal vehicle as far as I know.

Tesla Cybertruck Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. ECB4848B-CE34-4808-97A4-045E96D9B7C6

Tesla Cybertruck Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. 0B74B65A-9B07-486E-B4D6-7DDB1EFF92A4

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
We don't know if each cover weighs more or less, to be perfectly honest. Let alone any of the other pros and cons on the list.
------------------

Single piece rigid 2mm cold rolled 304 stainless steel sliding cover panel with bearings

4ft (48") x 7ft (84") x 2mm stainless steel sheet weighs 90 lbs, cost $90
$1,860/Ton 2mm (1/16", 16 Gauge) cold rolled SS plate 430 304 stainless steel sheet (China)
https://www.kloecknermetals.com/metal-calculator

$10 20pcs Donepart 683ZZ Ball Bearings, 3mm Bore ID, 7mm OD, 3mm Width Steel Shielded Miniature Deep Groove Bearings
Item Weight 10 Grams
https://www.amazon.com/Donepart-683ZZ-Bearings-Shielded-Miniature/dp/B07XFNVSL2

Single piece rigid sliding cover material cost (stainless steel, bearings): $100
48VDC High Torque Self‑Locking Worm Geared Motor for Window Openers cost: $30 weight 2 lbs
robotic assembly & welding cost: $20
Total cost: $150 weight 93 lbs

---------------------

Roll-N-Lock E-Series Powered Retractable Truck Bed Aluminum Tonneau Cover | RC131E | Fits 2021 Ford F-150 6' 7" Bed (78.9") is weight 130 lbs, retail cost $2,500.
https://rollnlock.com

Because Cybertuck rolling cover is under the bed need to add 5ft of extra cover length, weight 20 lbs.

Total manufacturing cost: estimate $800 ? weight 150 lbs

---------------------

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Definitely not interested in a single 3mm steel panel. You referred to only needing a 3-5mm space to store in the ceiling. That means this piece of steel has no reinforcements or supports. Even if it's strong, it would probably have oil canning and buffeting might be a problem.
Frankly, this whole idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Because Cybertuck rolling cover is under the bed need to add 5ft of extra cover length, weight 20 lbs.
I don’t think the vault cover will be more than about 6’5“ long. It needs to cover the top of the vault when it’s closed, not the window.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Dude, in the realm of made-up paper napkin lists, that one is terrible.

You can't compare the price and weight of raw, unworked materials to a finished product like that.
It was not just for raw, unworked materials.

I budgeted for assembly & welding.

Just like the Cybertruck exoskeleton there is not paint or other special surface treatment.

All my prices are on the high side.

Tesla is going to pay less for stainless steel than the high 1-ton volume price I listed.

Tesla will buy or make motors at volume discount, not pay the single piece price I used.

At 300K+ per year volume, Tesla will pay less than $50 for assembly & welding.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I don’t think the vault cover will be more than about 6’5“ long. It needs to cover the top of the vault when it’s closed, not the window.
Most rolling covers work by pushing/pulling the cover from the spool.
The motor is spinning the spool.

The tracking sides of the cover must be continuous all the way to the spool even if there is a windowed section in the cover.

If the rolling cover is underneath the Cybertruck the cover ( or cover base structure) will need to be 12 ft long. Also, just like with a window in a building structural wall if you put and opening in rolling cover you will need a frame to transfer the pull/push forces around the opening.

----------------------

How a Rolling Steel Door is Made
Discover what it takes to make the perfect rolling steel door – a process C.H.I. has been perfecting since 1981 in Arthur, Illinois.
C.H.I. Overhead Doors

----

----------------------

Dominator ShedMaster Installation
Porvene Doors
Dec 12, 2018

----

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Really if its solid it should function like a giant glass sunroof and slide up over the exterior of the cab roof. It could be a giant glass solar panel, which would probably get slightly more output that the rolling slats will get. And it seems like keeping it outside of the vehicle would solve a lot of engineering issues. It wouldn't look as cool driving around with it open when needed but you could at least still be using the solar feature. with the rolling cover the solar wont function when its rolled into the truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Really if its solid it should function like a giant glass sunroof and slide up over the exterior of the cab roof. It could be a giant glass solar panel, which would probably get slightly more output that the rolling slats will get. And it seems like keeping it outside of the vehicle would solve a lot of engineering issues. It wouldn't look as cool driving around with it open when needed but you could at least still be using the solar feature. with the rolling cover the solar wont function when its rolled into the truck.
What do you do with the 18+ inches of panel which is sticking up in the air above the peak of the roof? Does that just act as a big parachute when you are driving?

Also, since it’s wider then the roof near the peak, how does it slide open?

This feels like we’re trying to fit 8 gallons of horseshit into a 5 gallon bucket.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
What do you do with the 18+ inches of panel which is sticking up in the air above the peak of the roof? Does that just act as a big parachute when you are driving?

Also, since it’s wider then the roof near the peak, how does it slide open?

This feels like we’re trying to fit 8 gallons of horseshit into a 5 gallon bucket.
If a change gets us
1. full mid-gate
2. pass-through for 8-9 ft items
3. cheap solar panels on cover

Maybe it is time to get a 9 gallon bucket or 5-gallon bucket extension.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If a change gets us
1. full mid-gate
2. pass-through for 8-9 ft items
3. cheap solar panels on cover

Maybe it is time to get a 9 gallon bucket or 5-gallon bucket extension.
I’d love to see all of that. It just needs to actually be possible. .

So far want you’ve shown requires Time Lord technology to accomplish.

If your 9 gallon bucket actually obeys the laws of physics maybe we can discuss it?

What you have suggested so far is not actually possible.

Are you widening the roof?

Shrinking the bed length?

Making the opening above the bed skinnier?

Making the truck impossible to drive when the roof is open?

Some combination of the above?

Most likely whatever you cook up is going to have to do one of the above and would make a considerable number of people unhappy. But without you picking what actually needs to happen we can only guess which you think is the most reasonable compromise.
Sponsored

Last edited: