Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
What do you do with the 18+ inches of panel which is sticking up in the air above the peak of the roof? Does that just act as a big parachute when you are driving?

Also, since it’s wider then the roof near the peak, how does it slide open?

This feels like we’re trying to fit 8 gallons of horseshit into a 5 gallon bucket.
There wouldn’t be 18” overhanging. The distance between the roof peak and the bed opening are almost the exact same length as the bed opening. I do agree that the taper would be an issue. Altogether going over the roof would be a much simpler solution than cooling it up through the midgate and under the truck. A solid cover would probably be able to create a water tight seal and I have doubts that the cooling cover will seal without collecting and draining the water that gets into the track
Tesla Cybertruck Why rolling vault cover should be replaced by rigid sliding vault cover. Optionally made of cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. EE84DC68-46EA-4F1C-A3FE-0D70584E783F

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
If you expect electric motors to stop working after 10 years you’re gonna have much greater problems with the CT than the tonneau cover not opening/closing.
I don't even trust powered windows, give me hand crank option.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wonder if it is possible to just have some sort of push rod on rollers in the track on both sides so you don't need anymore than 6.8 feet of actual slats. If there is anywhere near 12 feet of door it would cover the rear window when the tonneau is closed.
There's multiple ways to do this:
  1. The powered rollers could be at multiple points along the track.
  2. There could be a continuous loop along the track, looping back to the roll.
  3. There could be a motor and pulley at each end.
The first option would mean the slats would not have to be connected to each other, merely overlapping. Like boxes on a conveyor. The second and third options mean the cover is always being pulled along the track rather than pushed.

Like I said, lots of options.

-Crissa
Sponsored