Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck

Deleted member 12457

Never heard anyone say the CT design was like children's building blocks. Nothing like the building blocks I've ever seen but Legos have gone from simple blocks to all sorts of shapes so maybe the author (using that term lightly) is young enough to only know the new legos and not the rectangular ones (or round Lincoln logs) I grew up with. As for CR, who cares. I don't care who's paying them I quit looking at their recommends decades ago.
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Never heard anyone say the CT design was like children's building blocks. Nothing like the building blocks I've ever seen but Legos have gone from simple blocks to all sorts of shapes so maybe the author (using that term lightly) is young enough to only know the new legos and not the rectangular ones (or round Lincoln logs) I grew up with. As for CR, who cares. I don't care who's paying them I quit looking at their recommends decades ago.
It's the perpetual FUD spread by so many news sources. You and I and many on this forum are particularly educated when it comes to Tesla but the general public tend to be swayed by what the guy being interviewed on CNN or some TV news program says. That also goes for CR, Motor Trend, Car and Driver and so on.

I run into people all the time who say, "Tesla... no way they catch on fire all the time", or "those things drive themselves into trucks" and so on. This is all due to the FUD spread in a very irresponsible manner by said media.

EVs and Tesla may well be inevitable but it's concerning to see the amount of misinformation spread on a regular basis.

The recently announced investigation generated some really errr... questionable journalism:

At least Jim Cramer used his brain a little and mentioned how the numbers actually seem like a good thing.

This is just one of an endless number of examples.

Deleted member 12457

It's the perpetual FUD spread by so many news sources. You and I and many on this forum are particularly educated when it comes to Tesla but the general public tend to be swayed by what the guy being interviewed on CNN or some TV news program says. That also goes for CR, Motor Trend, Car and Driver and so on.

I run into people all the time who say, "Tesla... no way they catch on fire all the time", or "those things drive themselves into trucks" and so on. This is all due to the FUD spread in a very irresponsible manner by said media.

EVs and Tesla may well be inevitable but it's concerning to see the amount of misinformation spread on a regular basis.

The recently announced investigation generated some really errr... questionable journalism:

At least Jim Cramer used his brain a little and mentioned how the numbers actually seem like a good thing.

This is just one of an endless number of examples.
I'm trying to remember a day when I actually thought news was real and what people wrote in newspapers and magazines was the truth. I remember walking Walter Cronkite and believing what he said. Those days are gone but when did this change? Was I naive back in the 60's and 70's? I know politicians have always had a difficult time telling the whole truth, salesmen hardly ever tell the truth (especially car salesmen) but I had to try and trust someone. Nowadays it's difficult to trust what anyone says, except for all of us on this forum. ;) I guess my opinion of what I use and have used only matters to me, everyone else needs to figure out who they can trust and whether they can even trust themselves to make the proper decision. I know I've made bad decisions in my six decades of life but hope I've learned from most of them. As for CR, I don't care what they say because their agenda is not the same as mine. I want ICEs gone, the sooner the better. We will always use oil and natural gas for products other than powering ICE engines and generators but getting rid of ICEs is a great first start. --my opinion as always.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It really wasn't that different in the past. I had the following chat with my father about 40 years ago:
"Hey Pop, Ma says you went to the allergist. What did he say?"
"Nothing I didn't already know. I'm allergic to the New York Times".

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It really wasn't that different in the past. I had the following chat with my father about 40 years ago:
"Hey Pop, Ma says you went to the allergist. What did he say?"
"Nothing I didn't already know. I'm allergic to the New York Times".
Ha, that reminded me 50 years ago. My dad was a union sheet metal worker, and he always referred to the LA Times as "that republican rag".
I guess the point is that print media has historically had bias. :)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, they all did but they used to confine it to the editorial page and they used to use phrases like "it seems to us".

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'm trying to remember a day when I actually thought news was real and what people wrote in newspapers and magazines was the truth. I remember walking Walter Cronkite and believing what he said. Those days are gone but when did this change? Was I naive back in the 60's and 70's? I know politicians have always had a difficult time telling the whole truth, salesmen hardly ever tell the truth (especially car salesmen) but I had to try and trust someone. Nowadays it's difficult to trust what anyone says, except for all of us on this forum. ;) I guess my opinion of what I use and have used only matters to me, everyone else needs to figure out who they can trust and whether they can even trust themselves to make the proper decision. I know I've made bad decisions in my six decades of life but hope I've learned from most of them. As for CR, I don't care what they say because their agenda is not the same as mine. I want ICEs gone, the sooner the better. We will always use oil and natural gas for products other than powering ICE engines and generators but getting rid of ICEs is a great first start. --my opinion as always.
Indeed.

The best we can do is equip ourselves and our children with the critical thinking skills to be able to analyze the situation and read between the corrupted lines....

Seriously, the sooner we hand control over to our AI overlords the better. All praise our positronic masters.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
"The shape and structure raise all kinds of questions that will eventually be answered, including outward visibility, pedestrian compatibility, and most important, whether it is just a prank."

.... So, are trucks like this more outward visible and or pedestrian compatible?
Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck Dodge truck

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
"The shape and structure raise all kinds of questions that will eventually be answered, including outward visibility, pedestrian compatibility, and most important, whether it is just a prank."

.... So, are trucks like this more outward visible and or pedestrian compatible?
I keep wondering if trucks like those are just a long-running prank.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I keep wondering if trucks like those are just a long-running prank.

-Crissa
I commented about this above, I really really don't understand these statements. Is there something I'm missing here which makes the Cybertruck particularly dangerous compared to the monster trucks Ford and GM produce with 5 foot+ hoods?

Maybe I need to sit in one, but everything I've seen suggests it is far better than the competition in that regard.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Consumer Reports policy has always been to purchase the product they’re reviewing and conduct a thorough review of the said item. Did they change that policy recently?
They have 'reviews' 'preliminary reviews' 'previews' and then the full reviews which are included in their charts.

This is one of those preliminary ones.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Consumer Reports policy has always been to purchase the product they’re reviewing and conduct a thorough review of the said item. Did they change that policy recently?
No, but they have shown the occasional editorial lapse in the recent past.

Maybe one of their automotive writers -- always used to scrupulous cooperation from makers -- ran into Tesla's practice of ignoring journalists' questions and became peeved.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I commented about this above, I really really don't understand these statements. Is there something I'm missing here which makes the Cybertruck particularly dangerous compared to the monster trucks Ford and GM produce with 5 foot+ hoods?

Maybe I need to sit in one, but everything I've seen suggests it is far better than the competition in that regard.
I agree, and I submit a more extreme example... the Chevrolet Yeti:

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck 20210731_134532

Tesla Cybertruck Consumer Reports reviews the Cybertruck 20210731_134234

I'm not sure if it's made by Chevy in this configuration or if someone built it on a Yeti truck, but it has to be licensed.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I'm not sure if it's made by Chevy in this configuration or if someone built it on a Yeti truck, but it has to be licensed.
Those are Rockwell axles under the rear.
I cut up a lot of military trucks and parted them out to the rock crawler crowd.
Those are either 2 1/2 or 5 ton military axles.
The may have just put that body on a military chassis. There was a lot of that going on in the military vehicle collector hobby.
We still have an 04 Dodge dually for the farm but it has never been lifted or equipped with other than stock sized tires. The stupid thing is 2wd and will get stuck in it's own shadow.
Sponsored