Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I've seen it mentioned a couple times. Where is the ~6" spec change speculation coming from?
It is guesswork and speculation, nothing more.

The front of the truck appears steeper, the frunk appears to some of us to be a bit shorter. It might just be an optical illusion. It might also be a steeper front and same length for other reasons.

My wife would suggest that there are too many men in the room so none of us are qualified to know what 6 inches really looks like.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Great observation. The base of the windshield appears to be at the level of the door window sills. The CT is going to have a HUMONGOUS windshield with a stubby front end.

It also appears that the headlights have been lowered slightly but it can't be confirmed from this photo angle. I think the revised "pug" front end looks great!!!

This video is going to be analyzed to death as it's the first real sighting of the production version.
We knew the windshield was going to be huge. It’s just potentially a little more vertical and perhaps curved a touch. The curve we knew about previously from the earlier glass sneak peak (it was clearly deliberate so not a “leak”).

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not the first. That other grainy photos were the first.
This tailgate is different as was the one from the grainy photos.

Screenshot_20210930-172029_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here it is with the mirrors folded in.

Screenshot_20210930-174648_Samsung Internet.jpg
Dual purpose, camera located in the end of mirror and folder like that for counties that allow cameras and opened for those that don’t, as an added benefit have a special tray that clips on for drive throughs so no more reaching out, great for FSD.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've seen it mentioned a couple times. Where is the ~6" spec change speculation coming from?
That's about 3% off the original length. Which Elon said the beta truck would be 'about 3% smaller' but didn't say how. (Length, width, volume?)

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I predict the CT will be slightly narrower as well. It MUST fit comfortably through the Boring Company tunnels. Jay Leno appeared nervous when driving the concept truck through the test tunnel in Hawthorne, CA.

Last edited:

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
Whether the CT we get looks slightly better or worse than at the reveal, many of us fell in love with form following function, so we’ll be happy that the engineers continued to refine function. If another car company had offered something as radical-looking, it would’ve been motivated by styling and marketing something distinct, not by engineering. And I would’ve ignored it.

Before I liked the look of the CT, I’d tell friends that it’s all about why it has to look that way to perform as it will. Now that I like the look(s), that view is still true. Let the engineers design the best truck ever, and I’ll appreciate the look.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
If another car company had offered something as radical-looking, it would’ve been motivated by styling and marketing something distinct, not by engineering. And I would’ve ignored it.
Other car companies ALWAYS release concept cars that are radical looking and get the fans salivating. Then they just keep the name and release something totally different and bland in comparison.

I'm looking at you, Chevy Volt......

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Other car companies ALWAYS release concept cars that are radical looking and get the fans salivating. Then they just keep the name and release something totally different and bland in comparison.
Exactly

Elon said he hates that too and promised Tesla vehicles would be equal too or better than the concept.

Now of course it is not reasonable to expect every feature to be exactly 100% as the concept but I think the goal is most features are there and that overall design & execution is the same.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I predict the CT will be slightly narrower as well. It MUST fit comfortably through the Boring Company tunnels. Jay Leno appeared nervous when driving the concept truck through the test tunnel in Hawthorne, CA.
I would think once The Borings are in real full operation that manual driving will be locked out while in their tunnels and only control by AutoPilot or FSD will be allowed.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I think feedback from reservation holders was that it had to fit in a standard size American garage. The Beta looks a tad shorter in length so maybe they listened. I can't wait for the public reveal with all of the new specifications, especially the length and width.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Does this mean we are going to have to roll down the window and adjust the mirror by hand like animals?

That’ll be frustrating enough to make me want to rip them off by itself. On of my favorite features in the Model Y is driver profiles and not having to fiddle with mirrors and seat height every time I drive.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
That's exactly what I was wondering if they are easily removable. It is a Tesla so I am confident there will be a male/female electrical connection built into the mirror and body mount area to remotely control the mirror adjustments from the cabin like a normal vehicle.

I think the easily removable mirrors was meant to appeal to the off-road crowd.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Does this mean we are going to have to roll down the window and adjust the mirror by hand like animals?

That’ll be frustrating enough to make me want to rip them off by itself. On of my favorite features in the Model Y is driver profiles and not having to fiddle with mirrors and seat height every time I drive.
Excellent Point!!! I hadn't thought about that.
Sponsored