SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Btw, dropping the single motor seems to be dropping the lowest price target from availability they were marketing the cyber truck as. So that also contradicts everyone's certainty that prices wouldn't rise.
That also conflicts with making this truck a mass produced success to compete with ICE F150s and the like. Hopefully, they'll keep a low end model at a reasonable price.
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I want a dual motor, more for the battery, I would be happy with a single motor if it came sooner. I really don't care if it will come in a 4 motor configuration, I can't even afford the 3 motor one at the 2019 price, and I would love to have that 500 mile battery.
That's the sweet spot! Dual motor with 500+ mile range.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I always wondered why a 4 motors version was not planned. Rivian boasted it. I think this time Elon wants to destroy the competitors. More insane things will be revealed for sure
The real competition he needs to focus on is the Ford F-150 Lightning. The F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the US, so the Lightning already has a potential huge market. If Tesla doesn't capture that segment, the CT will be more of a boutique vehicle. Continually revising the CT to have the "best" specs pushes it in that direction, and conflicts with Tesla's goals of widespread mainstream adoption of EVs.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Why?

The Cybertruck has to wait for the factory and batteries to be ready anyhow.

We were already waiting on the new schedule to be announced 'some time in 2022'.

And Elon didn't say it was delayed, or the price increased. Nothing has really changed, except we now know the top trim is the quad-motor instead of the tri-motor.

-Crissa
Elon said initial production would be quad. He previously said they would likely produce tri and dual first given the breakdown of preorders. Sounds like a delay to me.

However, I also said I would wait for more information.

I think the quad is cool, but this appears to be bad news for me.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.
They never gave a price commitment from a legal sense, so they can do whatever they please, whenever they please, up until the point you sign the contract for delivery.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
They never gave a price commitment from a legal sense, so they can do whatever they please, whenever they please, up until the point you sign the contract for delivery.
Of course, but from a customer’s perspective it’s also BS.

I haven’t completely given up on Tesla offering some pricing roughly similar to the initial claims. I’m increasingly skeptical though, especially with the announcement of the quad.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
A few thoughts here...

I could be wrong, but because in the specs each motor provides extra range, I'm assuming that each extra motor also means more/better batteries per motor added.

Tesla took a risk when they started taking deposits on vaporware. This is the risk of such business practice and Tesla knew the risks (design & production issues, inflation, and lineup changes) when they started taking deposits. Don't cry for Elon.

I also don't think Elon is the type of guy who wants any bad press or bad karma that would come from any poor handling of pre-orders. Sure he may delay the production of your CT but he won't screw you out of the deal you made, but that doesn't stop Tesla from trying to entice you to change your order. Elon loves the flashy presentation and the bold proclamations, he won't tarnish his reputation by screwing over those who have placed deposits on the base model.

Omitting the single motor versions will be a business decision with a cost/benefit. I would have to re-read the contracts we signed but I don't think Tesla can just cancel the single-motor orders. Best case, I think they would offer a free 2-motor upgrade. They may do this with smaller or less battery capacity though so 1-motor orders would get a 2-motor "short range" version and 2-motor orders would get a standard range version (just speculating). If they can't afford to give an extra motor to the 1-motor folks, then they will build the 1-motor version but I bet it is a cost they can absorb.
Tesla's risk was minimal and the upside large.

TESLA draws interest on all the deposits and gets to use it as working capital. This is essentially a loan to them with *extremely* favorable terms, zero percent interest with no real expiration date.

Meanwhile, the value of your initial $100 decreases a small bit with inflation every year.

The only risk is to their reputation if they don't deliver something that is even remotely similar to what they initially stated.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think the Single Motor model will be delayed until 2026 or dropped altogether.

No other Tesla to date uses four independent electric motors for propulsion. I don’t see it happening but you never know with Tesla.
I have speculated for awhile that the single motor would actually be two motors but RWD. There might be some efficiencies with a rear casting and drive train that was the same across all models. That said the hp to the rear wheels of the Plaid will be ridiculously high so maybe the motors will be smaller. On the other hand the price differential between a 100 HP and 300 HP is maybe $1000 so maybe the RWD will just be hot.

Either way I hope they don't drop the affordable version.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Of course, but from a customer’s perspective it’s also BS.

I haven’t completely given up on Tesla offering some pricing roughly similar to the initial claims. I’m increasingly skeptical though, especially with the announcement of the quad.
Maybe. From this potential customer's perspective, I won't get worked up about it until they are actually making the darn thing. ;)

As I said above, from a broader perspective, if they don't have reasonable pricing for an entry level version, they are doing themselves and the EV market a huge disservice.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
EDIT** Confirmed by Elon himself!!

From a few reliable sources in conjunction with the recent release of CT-related merchandise and the anticipation of a supposed 12/9 announcement, there's speculation that there will be a Quad-Motor variant. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on a 4-motor set up and it's benefits over a tri-motor configuration. I'm wondering if it is also in response to the off-road capabilities of Rivian's R1T with its 4-motors.
How is a quad-motor variant considered speculation when you are frikkin' quoting the man, Elon Musk, saying the first Cybertruck production will have 4 motors?

And, no, this is not in response to any of the supposed competition! No one who understands just how superior the Cybertruck in general (regardless of configuration) will be to anything offered by the supposed 'competition' would entertain the idea this was a 'response' to anything other makers will be selling in low volumes.

I've always said eventually all EV's will have four motors, one for every wheel, and this is just the natural progression of moving towards that inevitability. It's probably also related to getting a little better performance and functionality out of that rear-wheel steering.

This is really exciting. Cars are gaining new capabilities at such a rapid pace with the ability to perfectly control every wheel with precision. We really do live in great times for auto enthusiasts!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am concerned about how FSD price lock-ins will be affected by changing configuration from Tri to Quad-motor configs.
My speculation on pricing without FSD is:
Dual-Motor: 65k (300+ miles)
Tri-motor : 80k (500+ miles)
Quad-Motor: 90k (600+ miles)
Don't mess with the configuration. How many times does this need to be said. Elon said that everyone would have the option to upgrade.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Btw, dropping the single motor seems to be dropping the lowest price target from availability they were marketing the cyber truck as. So that also contradicts everyone's certainty that prices wouldn't rise.
I don't see it that way because we all knew the single-motor was years away and was just Tesla's technique to preventing the legacy makers from announcing an even cheaper model that will be unobtainable so every mainstream article can say how much more the Cybertruck costs than the Ford. Anyone who thinks they want a $39K Ford Lightning is going to be super disappointed with the functionality of it, the availability of it and the real-world range of it. It's a mythical beast that will take years to get here.

Dropping availability of the single motor can't be considered a price rise. It's a drop in availability. It was never going to be available in any reasonable time frame anyway.
Sponsored