Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
ByJoey Klender
Posted on December 15, 2021

Tesla is communicating to customers who have ordered now-discontinued variants of vehicles that it will not honor retroactive pricing of the Full Self-Driving suite to when they reserved their vehicle.

In February, Teslarati reported that Tesla would not produce the Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel-Drive variant. CEO Elon Musk later stated that the reason was that Tesla has ā€œtoo much product complexity already.ā€ However, Tesla had originally planned to honor the price of the FSD suite when customers had reserved their vehicles. For example, if the FSD suite was priced at $7,000 at the time of the reservation, Tesla would only charge the customer $7,000, despite its current $10,000 price tag. This was confirmed by Tesla employees in February.

Tesla officially eliminated the Model Y Long Range RWD earlier this month, finally communicating to reservation holders that it had no plans to produce the vehicle. Tesla advised Model Y LR RWD reservation holders to revise their orders by choosing a vehicle that it currently produces and pay the additional price, as Teslaā€™s vehicle prices have increased since then.

ā€œWeā€™re contacting you regarding your Model Y order [VIN] placed on March 15, 2019. Weā€™d like to help you update your configuration, as we do not build the configuration you originally selected. Weā€™re excited to support you through the process and deliver your reconfigured Model Y at your earliest convenience,ā€ Tesla wrote in an email on December 8th to one Model Y reservation holder, who agreed to pay the additional cost of the vehicle but requested a retroactive FSD pricing as a small discount for having to choose a new vehicle over two-and-a-half years after placing the order.

ā€œI tried to update the design, but the price jumped $20,000! And full-self-driving is now $10K, when I first reserved it, it was less than half that price. Can TESLA honor my original price for FSD since Iā€™m an early adopter?ā€ the reservation holder asked.

However, the reservation holder, who asked to remain anonymous, was told by Tesla staff that the company would not be honoring any old pricing.

ā€œThank you for your note. We will not be honoring any previous pricing. Once you update your configuration it will update to the current pricing,ā€ a Tesla employee told the reservation holder in an emailed statement.

Tesla did not immediately respond for comment.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-will-not-honor-retroactive-full-self-driving-pricing-model-y/
Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Fed says : Officials now project rates to stand at 0.9% at the end of 2022, 1.6% at the end of 2023 and 2.1% at the end of 2024.

Cost of the Cybertruck will increase a bit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is likely only affecting a couple dozen people at this point who have had the opportunity to switch to the Model Y SR when it was briefly online or the Model Y AWD LR.

Itā€™s best to think of Tesla as a sociopathic entity that happens to have similar goals in common with us (and makes great products!). They frequently do stuff which is shitty and arguably unfair and arbitrary. If they werenā€™t so damned good at making cars and pushing ā€œThe Missionā€ forward, weā€™d probably hate them. (PS and good for my portfolio)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Iā€™m not surprised by the move.

Cybertruck reservation holders will be in for another financial jolt when new Cybertruck MSRPā€™s and trim levels are announced.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is likely only affecting a couple dozen people at this point who have had the opportunity to switch to the Model Y SR when it was briefly online or the Model Y AWD LR.
It will affect Cybertruck orders as well.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It will affect Cybertruck orders as well.
That's where they're in trouble.

However, as I've been pointing out, Tesla will try to upsell you when they start production. These people were probably given a bunch of offers since, somce of which may have grandfathered their FSD price.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance
I donā€™t really care about the FSD price because I donā€™t have an FSD reservation for my Cybertruck.

That said. I choose not to invent problems or buy into your invented ones. You might be right. But at this point itā€™s an assumption and no more.

Lots of people running around spouting off FUD and claiming it as fact. Itā€™s just that. FUD. Assumptions.

It might happen, it might not. Worrying about it now accomplishes ZERO.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Might be the fate of those who reserved the tri-motor CT.

That sucks bigly.
Why would you say such a thing? Are you looking for a fight? Tesla will surely find one if they try this kind of thing.
Sponsored