Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here Jordan Giesige covers how the new gigacastings work with the exoskeleton.

-Crissa

PS, the meat is nine minutes in, but we've discussed this so much, his diagrams and background should be helpful.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Here Jordan Giesige covers how the new gigacastings work with the exoskeleton.

-Crissa

PS, the meat is nine minutes in, but we've discussed this so much, his diagrams and background should be helpful.
I love how this man thinks though - first he's like 'robots, lots of them!' and now he's like 'alright that didn't work, um, big robot - SMASH!'

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Good info..

If some aluminum panels had to be stamped one could stamp them at a mild Tensile strength, then after stamping heat treat them to a higher Tensile strength.

But using mild steel on internal panels will be good too.

For added rigid features for between skins (outer / inner Panels) Aircraft type
usage of ribs, stringers are a good choice.

Tesla Cybertruck Exoskeleton, Gigagasting, and The Limiting Factor aircraft stringer panels

Let's see what Sandy says when the final product is produced.

Tesla Cybertruck Exoskeleton, Gigagasting, and The Limiting Factor Lucid air talk

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I'm a little concerned that he didn't consider that the sail pillars open, since a lot of people don't know that, and therefore contribute nothing to the exo-skeleton's strength for the 'triangles are the best' part.

Really useful to hear how the inner casting for the doors might work. Where the hell did he get that door teardown??? Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Good info..

If some aluminum panels had to be stamped one could stamp them at a mild Tensile strength, then after stamping heat treat them to a higher Tensile strength.

But using mild steel on internal panels will be good too.

For added rigid features for between skins (outer / inner Panels) Aircraft type
usage of ribs, stringers are a good choice.

aircraft stringer panels.jpg
That's more how they're making the structural battery pack. The cooling fins are used as ribs while the cells take the translative forces.

Really useful to hear how the inner casting for the doors might work. Where the hell did he get that door teardown??? Lol
There was a description when explaining how the window broke. They hadn't had enough isolation of the window while down. Anyhow, the description came with that diagram. Not sure who made it.

-Crissa

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I'm a little concerned that he didn't consider that the sail pillars open, since a lot of people don't know that, and therefore contribute nothing to the exo-skeleton's strength for the 'triangles are the best' part.

The inside panel if it does not open too will still provide lots of rigidity.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
That's more how they're making the structural battery pack. The cooling fins are used as ribs while the cells take the translative forces.

There was a description when explaining how the window broke. They hadn't had enough isolation of the window while down. Anyhow, the description came with that diagram. Not sure who made it.

-Crissa
The strongest lightest methods of construction are used on large transport aircraft. Monocoque construction is a stressed skin with supporting ribs and attach structure. The idea of a stressed, exterior load bearing skin gets a boost due the angular panels of the CT. All of this should lighten the sub structure and allow for much more interior space.
The skate board of a structural battery pack also adds ridgitiy and again should free up interior space.
I have built Composite and aluminum aircraft from scratch and been working on large transport aircraft for over 30 years. Crawling into every imaginable space on all the Boeing and Douglas models as well as several others.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Finally, a very good explanation that shows you can have Exoskeleton, gigacastings and structural battery packs. This should cut back on all the posts that say things like "Now they have a structural battery pack the exoskeleton and 3mm stainless is a waste and just adds weight".

Awesome video!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s funny, the examples they had in Berlin had those cooling fins between cells, but the “leaked” packs Jordon showed in one of his recent videos does not. And Jordon seems to assume they will be cooled from below. Essentially his “version” shows what looks like a foam mat with hundreds of holes in it that the cells slot into.

I noticed those fins right off when I saw the Berlin photos and thought they‘d given up on cooling from the bottom. But I’ve heard elsewhere that the 4680 with fin design they put in Berlin was not based on the final.

It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Finally, a very good explanation that shows you can have Exoskeleton, gigacastings and structural battery packs. This should cut back on all the posts that say things like "Now they have a structural battery pack the exoskeleton and 3mm stainless is a waste and just adds weight".

Awesome video!
I found his weight estimates interesting as well. His guess of around 5600 pounds means at least some of them would not be able to be registered as Light Duty trucks.

Tesla Cybertruck Exoskeleton, Gigagasting, and The Limiting Factor 1647466840764

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am still wanting to see a machine that can laser etch, bend 3mm SS and handle a 20' x6' structure.

Also I thought it was interesting that the inter panels could be aluminum. I am not aware of an aluminum to stainless weld process. If that is the case I guess they would use some type of glue. Maybe a UV activator?