John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Grape nuts with Silk almond milk is really good. If you don’t like grape nuts, almond milk elevates the flavor.

edit, there was never a typo
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Those photos are good and confirms the Z bend is still in the midgate, although the diagonal is longer. Despite the open window, definitely doesn't indicate any folding down mechanism.

That Z bend also means that when folded down it will not be flat and even with the bed floor at all, it will either run upwards with that angle, or have a bump at the bottom and top of the midgate, both of which negate the practicality of extending the bed into the cab. A midgate needs to end up with a flat floor front to rear tailgate, and this won't do it. Better off having lights in the folded down tailgate and a load stop.

As for midgate window size, I don't think anybodies head is going to fit through it, and it looks like they have made it intentionally so small that you can't get through it. The question if it has been removed or you can open it also remains, because once again it doesn't fit in the top part of the midgate Z bend, so where can it go when open and by what mechanism does it get there.

If anything it looks less likely to be a midgate, but...these models also don't have curved windscreens, so it can all still change.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As for midgate window size, I don't think anybodies head is going to fit through it, and it looks like they have made it intentionally so small that you can't get through it. The question if it has been removed or you can open it also remains, because once again it doesn't fit in the top part of the midgate Z bend, so where can it go when open and by what mechanism does it get there.
I think @John K should have to climb through the window before he collects his truck.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
That Z bend also means that when folded down it will not be flat and even with the bed floor at all, it will either run upwards with that angle,...
I have an adjustable bed and sleep with my head up. I could live with this angled bed floor if it was the case.

The question if it has been removed or you can open it also remains, because once again it doesn't fit in the top part of the midgate Z bend, so where can it go when open and by what mechanism does it get there.
Well, they do make phones now that the screen can fold in half. The required bend for this window isn't as extreme as being folded in half. I seriously doubt this is the case, but who knows. "There is no other truck"

If anything it looks less likely to be a midgate
I agree. I'm far from convinced of a midgate happening.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I think @John K should have to climb through the window before he collects his truck.
If that is a requirement, my front and backside will be shaved clean after making it through.

Observers may throw up a little in their months watching. 🤮

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If that is a requirement, my front and backside will be shaved clean after making it through.

Observers may throw up a little in their months watching. 🤮
For months I'm sure. :)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yeaaa, it looks like a hump.

Does it drop into the bed forming a bed head... and then .......wait for it.......

It slides across and down over the seat backrests

After all, why are we giving world-class engineers 3 billion $1 McDonald burgers.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
My guess is the roofline is extended so the window, hinged from above, can fold up and back and nest in the extended roof. As long as the window is (fully) open or closed, the operation of the tonneau isn't affected. Doesn't look like there is a folding midgate though.

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Lets see, do I want 500 miles of range, 3500 pounds of capacity and 14,000 pounds of towing capacity, adjustable air suspension, 35 Inch off-road tires with 16” on tap clearance, and Tesla technology stack plus Supercharger

OR

a Midgate.

:ROFLMAO:

I don’t think Tesla is or should be overly worried about the Silverado. Right now the Midgate is it’s only trick. It’s a neat one, but one most people get by without already. The Avalanche wasn’t a smash hit because of it.
I completely agree that those are the specs that should not be compromised if at all possible. However, I would offer two reasons why a midgate is a compelling feature for "real" truck buyers. First, truck beds keep getting shorter and shorter. Gone are the days most full size trucks had 8' beds. Now even a 6.5' bed is becoming a rarity and should be a minimum IMO. I am concerned if the CT follows suit and reduces the bed length below 6.5'.
The 2nd reason is that the vault makes the CT unique. A midgate amplifies the utility of the vault greatly almost creating an SUV like trunk. This is useful to give easy access to my dog, comfortably overland camp, and provide inside access to other more climate sensitive gear.
That said, I think a fully retractable rear window and a form of a smart extendable tail gate like the GMC's offer, would be an acceptable alternative if a midgate means having to compromise in those other important specs. I for one am not jumping ship for the Silverado, but you can't blame anyone for wanting the best of all feature from the CT.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Big question is if when closed, the end of the tonneau cover clears the rear window and you can still see through it into the vault?

If not, that would indicate to me that the rolling mechanism is located in the "mid-gate" area, and therefore the tonneau must always have some contact there.

If however, they were able to have TWO areas of pinion mechanism, where the pinion ABOVE the mid-gate could operate until the tonneau (rack) is in contact with a LOWER pinion (which would then take over for moving the tonneau).... THEN you would have removed all tonneau mechanics from the mid-gate area, and could maybe allow it to fold down.

But all that would be exposed when the mid-gate was down then. Would be ugly, and probably a safety hazard (exposed moving parts and little fingers)

I think it's unlikely.
If we believe we are still getting a 6.5' bed plus a rolldown rear window we will be ok. The midgate becomes more critical when you get into the shorter bed lengths. We can still have a fully supported 8' sheetrock and with a little creativity a 20' stick of molding resting on the dash to the tailgate. The wet dog can still be part of the family by sticking it's head through the window for some lovin.

Must of us are under 6'-3" and can sleep under the stars. When the storm rolls in you push a button on your phone and the tonneau will roll up to protect you. Drop the window and you can get a little heat from the cab. ( maybe drop a little fan in the corner to circulate the air)

The CT with tonneau is better that Silverado with midgate comparing just the bed versatility.
The CT is the best combo.

Now there is no need to compromise on the interior seat configuration. What Tesla needs to do is flop the 60/40 to put the 60 behind the passenger seat. If the front seats fold to the same elevation as the rear seat, someone will make a board or inflatable to span the gap between the rear head rest and the back of the front folded seat. I guess short people could just sleep on the back seats.

This all said, I can't tell if the bottom of the rear seat flop up. I really liked that on my last F150. Another 40"x70"? flat space for gear is really nice.

Combine all this with the new patent for the liquid coil heating and cooling of the seats and we are really cooking with fire.

We are on the right track folks. BTW I called it.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck's folding mid gate and roll-down rear window confirmed! 1649601070146

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck's folding mid gate and roll-down rear window confirmed! 1649599586420

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I completely agree that those are the specs that should not be compromised if at all possible. However, I would offer two reasons why a midgate is a compelling feature for "real" truck buyers. First, truck beds keep getting shorter and shorter. Gone are the days most full size trucks had 8' beds. Now even a 6.5' bed is becoming a rarity and should be a minimum IMO. I am concerned if the CT follows suit and reduces the bed length below 6.5'.
The 2nd reason is that the vault makes the CT unique. A midgate amplifies the utility of the vault greatly almost creating an SUV like trunk. This is useful to give easy access to my dog, comfortably overland camp, and provide inside access to other more climate sensitive gear.
That said, I think a fully retractable rear window and a form of a smart extendable tail gate like the GMC's offer, would be an acceptable alternative if a midgate means having to compromise in those other important specs. I for one am not jumping ship for the Silverado, but you can't blame anyone for wanting the best of all feature from the CT.
I think we’ll have a 78” vault. Which solves for a lot, well sort of 78”. Front wall slopes rearward so 78” at the bottom and a bit less at the top of the tailgate.

I’m not opposed to the midgate, I’m just kind of doubtful it’s coming.
Sponsored

Last edited: