Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Y’s from Texas or Berlin will have more casting than Fremont. They don’t need to re crash them.
Yes, they do. They also need to re-verify them with the EPA and DOT.

But that's probably already been done, all those cars were being sent places a couple weeks ago.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yes, they do. They also need to re-verify them with the EPA and DOT.

But that's probably already been done, all those cars were being sent places a couple weeks ago.

-Crissa
Any idea what will happen to the 100's of cars produced prior to certification? It appears that a bunch were made in both Berlin and Austin.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Any idea what will happen to the 100's of cars produced prior to certification? It appears that a bunch were made in both Berlin and Austin.
They are different.

In Berlin, Tesla got a temporary permit to produce cars specifically to test and tune the production line. They will never be sellable and must be destroyed.

In Texas, they are just waiting for EPA certification for the new Model Y. The day they get that certification, they can load up the trucks and sell those vehicles.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
They are different.

In Berlin, Tesla got a temporary permit to produce cars specifically to test and tune the production line. They will never be sellable and must be destroyed.

In Texas, they are just waiting for EPA certification for the new Model Y. The day they get that certification, they can load up the trucks and sell those vehicles.
If I remember correctly they were allow to build 2000 units in Berlin...if they couldn't sell those...they would lose 120 million in potential sales..?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If I remember correctly they were allow to build 2000 units in Berlin...if they couldn't sell those...they would lose 120 million in potential sales..?
Yep.

It’s a big turd sandwich.

I have to wonder if Tesla put empty battery packs in them. If they were testing the production line seems like they could have pushed duds through.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The majority would be destroyed anyhow, in testing and tear downs. They get sent to each of the countries for inspection. The same thing they've been doing at Austin the last six months. Tesla also uses them for sales demo models, training, decoration...
https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y...from-giga-texas-ceiling-for-all-to-see-video/https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y...from-giga-texas-ceiling-for-all-to-see-video/

And that's not completed cars, that's just bodies stamped with a number. So many don't get finished - any with flaws, obviously, but validation pieces, too. Also, I don't think all 2000 had to be destroyed: Only if they don't get approval later. That's what the testing vin is for, anyhow.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The majority would be destroyed anyhow, in testing and tear downs. They get sent to each of the countries for inspection. The same thing they've been doing at Austin the last six months. Tesla also uses them for sales demo models, training, decoration...
https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y...from-giga-texas-ceiling-for-all-to-see-video/https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y...from-giga-texas-ceiling-for-all-to-see-video/

And that's not completed cars, that's just bodies stamped with a number. So many don't get finished - any with flaws, obviously, but validation pieces, too. Also, I don't think all 2000 had to be destroyed: Only if they don't get approval later. That's what the testing vin is for, anyhow.

-Crissa
Agree.

The big difference is really that in Texas they have the opportunity to build sellable cars while they wait for approvals. In Berlin they are more or less stuck in a holding pattern. They don’t have to destroy thousands of cars, but they also can’t produce sellable cars. They have a completely idle factory instead of one which is starting to ramp up.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
In High school I took Auto Shop. While I was there we took delivery of a brand new Buick dontated to us from GM. It has a big sticker on the windshield that said something like "Not Street Legal". My guess is it was like these cars, produced for a reason other than for sale like line calibration, testing etc. Guessing GM also got to use it as a tax writeoff.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
They are different.

Crazy process. I wonder if the Ys in Berlin can be disassembled for parts.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
They are different.

Crazy process. I wonder if the Ys in Berlin can be disassembled for parts.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Trucks are America’s luxury vehicle. I expect the CT offerings to mimic the S/X more than the 3/Y. Probably have a diver screen, and offer that brown colour.
I hope you are right. I'd like to see more options, but with Tesla "simplifying" the ordering/build process to maximize the number of vehicles they push through, I have a feeling more options may take a backseat (at least until the capacity of both the Texas and Chinese factories are fully realized and supply outstrips demand).

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Yep.

It’s a big turd sandwich.

I have to wonder if Tesla put empty battery packs in them. If they were testing the production line seems like they could have pushed duds through.
Keep in mind also: the Ys out of Berlin are not expected to have the 4680s starting out, so they could remove any packs installed because they won't be structural. That's honestly my biggest concern about the 4680s: will it be possible to repair/replace 4680 cells once installed?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Keep in mind also: the Ys out of Berlin are not expected to have the 4680s starting out, so they could remove any packs installed because they won't be structural. That's honestly my biggest concern about the 4680s: will it be possible to repair/replace 4680 cells once installed?
I’m not sure what “Destroyed” means. Does that mean disassembled or completely destroyed? Either way, they could have put dummy cells in any cars destined for the chipper.

My understanding is the 4680 cells are there for life. Eventually they go bad and get recycled.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I’m not sure what “Destroyed” means. Does that mean disassembled or completely destroyed? Either way, they could have put dummy cells in any cars destined for the chipper.

My understanding is the 4680 cells are there for life. Eventually they go bad and get recycled.
That's the way I understand it, as well. If that's the case, the 4680s really need to be the "million mile" solution or else you risk a chance your vehicle's value could drop to almost nothing (well, scrap pricing anyway) if the batteries do not last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Sponsored