Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck “New” Cybertruck Photos with vault cover closed FDE25B43-4AE9-4569-9161-5ACE9216ACA1

You could dummy in some cells to get the voltage but not the range. Or smaller cells to replace the larger ones. No different than running the standard range model vs the long range. It's still a structural pack.

But they have the cells, so it's probably the 4680s.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
We're not really disagreeing beside trying to figure out what's going on and how. It keeps us from reliving that fateful announcement in January...

*Sigh* ... January..... Psssssss.... That announcement... That was some BULLKJHD*@^IwANTMYM&F(&@d)CYBER(@_(FH*@@!#NA W

Tesla Cybertruck “New” Cybertruck Photos with vault cover closed mad-kid

[Connection Lost]

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think we’re seeing a fairly complete/ near final version of the truck.

That simple. Something as close as possible to the gigacasting. Some kind of structural pack (maybe incomplete), the “exoskeleton”, etc etc.

Not something which is just visually similar, but something which is very close to final. Anionic was suggesting there was some kind of ladder frame or something rather than a structural pack.

To me that makes no sense.

I would have guessed that the original prototype did have a ladder frame and probably model S modules. It would have served the purpose. Just a couple steps more developed than the dancers in the Omnibot outfit, but still mostly a visual aid.

The test mules we see today most likely have a 4680 structural pack of some sort. I would guess the front casting as well. The rear casting is something else for the time being, unless they made it in Italy.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Badass that we can look at two Cybertrucks at the same time. I want to look at a sea of Cybertrucks as far as the eye can see!!! GT...make it happen.

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
If anything, the sightings will become more common . . .

Then we're going to see the CT doing some cool shit . . .

Then there will be the final reveal . . .

Then the day will come when the order books open.

Girthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
This is it. No way they are tooling a casting machine to make prototype parts. CNC machining will make what you want in one off production cheaper than tooling a giant press.

A part destined for casting mass-production could be CNC machined for low-volume prototyping.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Don't have to cast to get a structural pack.
If you are only making a few, 5, 6, 20...
Milling or welding one together is trivial.
That's what buildings full of engineers and skipping lunch breaks are for.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is it. No way they are tooling a casting machine to make prototype parts. CNC machining will make what you want in one off production cheaper than tooling a giant press.
I am not saying you are wrong, especially for the one or two unit prototypes that they have or may building in the next couple months, but doesn't casting/pressing a certain metallurgy create different properties than milling? Usually stronger right? Maybe they use a block of different material to try to get as close to megacasting properties.

When they get to the rigorous testing phase, certainly crash testing early pre production models the mega casted parts will need to be there and they may need to tweak them a couple times to account for observations in their test.

Everything prior to the last 2-4 months of prototypes could probably be modeled, milled or otherwise simulated without an actual mega cast assembly.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The cast is better, sure, but like I said, that strength means it ends up lighter. No reason you can't just make a prototype part that has bulky flanges to bolt it together. It's a prototype, no one will be living with the compromises.

And besides, how do you think they make the original molds for the castings? They have to make them.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I am not saying you are wrong, especially for the one or two unit prototypes that they have or may building in the next couple months, but doesn't casting/pressing a certain metallurgy create different properties than milling? Usually stronger right? Maybe they use a block of different material to try to get as close to megacasting properties.

When they get to the rigorous testing phase, certainly crash testing early pre production models the mega casted parts will need to be there and they may need to tweak them a couple times to account for observations in their test.

Everything prior to the last 2-4 months of prototypes could probably be modeled, milled or otherwise simulated without an actual mega cast assembly.
Y’s from Texas or Berlin will have more casting than Fremont. They don’t need to re crash them.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if they only offer white or black (like the 3/Y).
Trucks are America’s luxury vehicle. I expect the CT offerings to mimic the S/X more than the 3/Y. Probably have a diver screen, and offer that brown colour.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Y’s from Texas or Berlin will have more casting than Fremont. They don’t need to re crash them.
I don't know what you are saying here. I am not talking about model Ys. This is a CT forum. I am pretty sure any major structural change requires new certification (crash test) and Tesla won't bother crashing a CT until both megacastings are integrated into the final design.
Sponsored