John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
No, it's not quite that simple. The mean is the average, the standard deviation is a "standard" measure of the dispersion of values about the mean and the median is the value that splits the set of numbers into two equal halves. Half of people have phantom drain less than the median and the other half, above.

estimate deviation, array range, largest and smallest value in the array, divided by six yields an estimation deviation. Not standard deviation.

it was a tongue in cheek response to, “you know what that is?” Of course I know standard deviation. ?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don’t think your data shows what you think it does. I think it shows you’re only doing better than 23% of users and you need to make some adjustments in your settings so you can get back down where most of us are at around 0.2 mph phantom drain.
Now don't take this as a personal remark but you have admitted that you are not that familiar with statistics. The data is not my data. It is Stat's data. I very plainly shows that my drain is better than only 23% of users i.e. worse that the other 77%. Now what settings do I need to adjust? Why do you think a phantom drain of 44 mph would be a problem for me? Why do I need to get down to where most of you are? And what does most mean. 25% of users experience drain between 0.15 and 0.25 mph. 40% experience drain greater than 0.3 mph etc. The only way to get the whole story is to look at the cumulative distribution function as shown below.

Tesla Cybertruck ☀️ New Cybertruck tonneau patent mentions potential use as Solar Panel Phantom

It also shows your estimate of 9 miles per day loss for the CT (for most people) would be incorrect, but I don’t expect you to admit that.
Well the data from the fleet isn't applicable to the CT i.e. it doesn't show anything about what phantom drain on the CT will be. We know the CT will have a bigger battery and will be subject to somewhat greater loss from that alone but the big driver is going to be how much is going in the "housekeeping" functions that look after the truck when it is off and how much the truck is being "pinged" which is a function both of how closely coupled the truck is to the mother ship and how many Stats, TeslaFi and other apps the users will employ. Will the CT have more whizzbang features that need to be fed or will it not? Who knows.

So as the data does not show that my estimate, which is, of course, a WAG is wrong I can't admit that it is wrong.

I think the data says what I think it says. I've been interpreting and analyzing data like this for 50 yrs. Had I been doing it wrong all that time I think someone would have noticed.

Last edited:

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
Why do you think a phantom drain of 44 mph would be a problem for me? Why do I need to get down to where most of you are?
Sorry, I meant if you were concerned about how much phantom drain you were experiencing because you wanted to waste less energy.

Well the data from the fleet isn't applicable to the CT i.e. it doesn't show anything about what phantom drain on the CT will be.
Not from the entire fleet but from the X. And comparing it to the X was my premise for the reasons I laid out in my earlier post. I would debate with you further but the condescension and personal attacks are really tiresome and irritating, so I think I will end it here and concede all future points to you. Cheers!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Sorry, I meant if you were concerned about how much phantom drain you were experiencing because you wanted to waste less energy.
I'm seeing about 3 kWh per day. Even were I paying Dominion's rates that would be 39 ¢/day. But I'm not. It doesn't cost me anything. If you are thinking of environmental concerns the 3 kWh either hits the earth and warms it or hits my panels, gets converted to electricity, goes to my car, runs the electronics which emits 3 kWh (10 kBTU) of heat which warms the earth same as if the solar array weren't there so this energy is "wasted" with or without my phantom drain.

I think the way I'd be able to reduce my phantom drain would be to stop using TeslaFi and Stats as they poll the car. I am not willing to give up either as I find both of them very useful.

Not from the entire fleet but from the X. And comparing it to the X was my premise for the reasons I laid out in my earlier post.
As I think you are pretty entrenched in your belief that CT and X consumption figures are going to be quite close I don't see much point in trying to reason with you. I think, based on analysis and common sense, that you are going to be disappointed in this. Peace

Monkchoi

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza 5Dr Wagon
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Country flag
That would be an awesome feature for my boys to just jump in and head out to the countryside and spend the weekend roughing it. lol ?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Along with the mid gate, I would like the front and back row to convert flat for another air mattress surface.

A couple of these could be used as an alternate option for front cab

https://www.amazon.com/Grassman-Inflatable-Dirt-resiatant-Universal-Activities/dp/B08BYM487L/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1PWPY4U739D1K&dchild=1&keywords=back+seat+air+mattress+for+trucks&qid=1623031076&sprefix=Back+seat+air+mat,aps,243&sr=8-9
I had an air matress like that before in my car, my friends and I tested it when it arrived. As a tall man, it was very uncomfortable, my friend who was about average height could manage but he was still in a partial fetal position, my girlfriend was the only comfortable person since she is only 5' tall.

One of the things that I want to know the most when the Cybertruck finally gets delivered to people and youtube videos start poping up is what are the dimentions pretty much everywhere. while a fully flat cabin surface created by the seats would be pretty nice for a mattress, it's possible with just the wide interior of the cybertruck and the leg room when the front seats are moved up, a simple back seat air mattress like the one you liked might be good enough if even a tall person lays diagonal.

Still have my fingers crossed for a midgate.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My thoughts on the cabin versus the bed was for kids. I would take the bed.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Remember that the truck is >6' inside the cab, so that may totally work. In contrast to the sedan version, anyhow.

-Crissa

Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
.. 1.2KW per hour.
That is a lot more than just a trickle charge.
I hear you, but our existing level 2 charger at home runs 220V x 32A or 7kwh, and still it can take nearly all day to fully charge our M3, so how can you not say that this is any more than a trickle?

Furthermore inverters are also not 100% efficient. 90% would be a reasonable guess I think. So that also subtracts. And solar panels when they are not aimed directly at the sun must be de-rated. ..AND also when panels warm up you must de-rate them further, and anyone who has had solar knows that atmospheric conditions like cloud cover can further reduce things. Add all of those together, and it will be a lot less than 1.2kwh. I would hope for only 300 or 500W when all is said and done.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A 7kW charger is considered 'fast' and a Level 1 is considered 'slow' or a trickle.

However, solar on a vehicle doesn't have to go through the inverter/rectifier, so it's much more efficient than a standard Level 1 AC charger.

-Crissa
Sponsored