HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If driving range is an concern, I'll take along a couple of 30 lb propane tanks and this Westinghouse Dual Fuel iGen4500 generator:

Generator.jpg

I can add 30 kWh of charge to CT's battery from a 30 lb bottle of propane. The iGen4500 generator has a continuous power output of 3300W on propane, 3700W on gasoline. At 3.3kW, it takes 9 hours to add 30 kWh to CT's battery. Fortunately, it's one of the quietest generators of its size for camping.

The Cybertruck doesn't come with a spare tire, so I ordered one from TSportline. It's a full size steel wheel with 285/65R20 tire. I'll carry the spare in the vault if possible. I want to avoid a tire carrier that would increase aero drag. Unfortunately, it's on back order at present.

Speaking of tires, I bought a 4 ton Yellow Jacket bottle jack. It's much smaller than the Tesla jack with a lifting range from 7 3/8" to 14 5/16". I raise the truck to "Extraction Level" first (16") then set the jack on a 4" block and raise the truck to 18 1/4" to remove and replace a tire. The tires weigh 87 lbs, so putting a tire on without lifting it requires aligning the studs with the wheel holes as closely as possible.
I would probably skip the spare tire and scissors jack (use a plug kit since you already have a compressor). I would skip the propane and generator too, and add around 1000 watts of solar and a battery power generator since it doesn't sound like you will be on a tight schedule and could just camp and hang out and let the sun do it's thing, if you needed the juice. This would eliminate the need to fill the propane tanks when resupplying.

I think you might need to adjust the amount of charge you would get on the generator from 30 kWh to more like 25 kWh in 9 hours and the propane will probably not power the generator as long as you think at full power in most cases. It would make more sense to visit the closest campground with level II charging the day before you go off-grid so you enter the backcountry with a full charge rather than charging in the field.

But there are many ways to skin a cat, I just think you might find charging in the field is not a great solution. A solar backup can ensure you are never stranded but plan your trips to not need it.
Sponsored

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Solar backup is not an option. With current idle consumption you would need 3-4 full size panels just to run the trucks battery management and computer when off.
If you wanted to compete with a generator you would need a small field of solar panels, more than would fit in the bed of the truck

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
when we set a route in a CT, Tesla needs to download base map advance. we shouldn't need google maps. 🙄

Anyway, I'm in AZ and this is exactly the type of trip I'm hoping to get back to doing. Thanks for the post @Cybergirl !
It doesn't.
The maps that you see and the maps that the vehicle uses aren't the same ones. You see Google maps, but it uses some open source maps. It has the maps when you are offline. That's why you can manually enter destinations (not using voice) and it will still route.

BUT, off-road trails aren't necessarily on maps.

Yes, the way Tesla does it's maps is a little weird. But it works. Once you think about it, it actually starts to make sense, to enable off-line routing.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Or carry a real GPS, like a Garmin with you. Garmin has a lot of map options, specifically including trails
TOPO U.S. 24K - West | Garmin
Trailhead Series-Pacific NW National Trail | Garmin
Garmin HuntView™ Plus Maps | TOPO Mapping

And topo maps are infinitely more useful than a road map when off-road.
It even appears that Garmin has an explicitly designed device for off-road now.
Garmin Tread® XL - Baja Chase Edition | Baja Racing GPS

You won't see this type/amount of information from any standard nav solution.

1711556953149-d4.png

And even with communications to the rest of your team
1711557000871-lb.png

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Solar backup is not an option. With current idle consumption you would need 3-4 full size panels just to run the trucks battery management and computer when off.
If you wanted to compete with a generator you would need a small field of solar panels, more than would fit in the bed of the truck
Solar backup is definitely an option, for those who think they might need it. I didn't suggest it would compete with a propane generator, I said the trip plan could be to not need additional charge to complete the trip but that solar panels could be used as a failsafe, to ensure you didn't need to get rescued in the backcountry. 1000 watts worth of panels is more than enough, assuming a sunny climate and no need to get back to work immediately. I suggest the frameless flexible ones that can be easily stacked. When they are not needed to self-rescue, they can be used for camp lighting, espresso drinks, to keep devices charged, etc.

The Cybertruck's phantom drain will decrease with future software updates, just as other Tesla have, so I'm calculating the phantom drain as being about the same as the Model Y, maybe 20% more (but I can't imagine why). I wouldn't use this strategy in the middle of winter but in mild/warm/hot weather it work fine.

I would feel more comfortable planning my trip with lower margins, particularly as I'm headed back to civilization, if I knew I had a backup plan that didn't involve backcountry rescue.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Solar backup is definitely an option, for those who think they might need it. I didn't suggest it would compete with a propane generator, I said the trip plan could be to not need additional charge to complete the trip but that solar panels could be used as a failsafe, to ensure you didn't need to get rescued in the backcountry. 1000 watts worth of panels is more than enough, assuming a sunny climate and no need to get back to work immediately. I suggest the frameless flexible ones that can be easily stacked. When they are not needed to self-rescue, they can be used for camp lighting, espresso drinks, to keep devices charged, etc.

The Cybertruck's phantom drain will decrease with future software updates, just as other Tesla have, so I'm calculating the phantom drain as being about the same as the Model Y, maybe 20% more (but I can't imagine why). I wouldn't use this strategy in the middle of winter but in mild/warm/hot weather it work fine.

I would feel more comfortable planning my trip with lower margins, particularly as I'm headed back to civilization, if I knew I had a backup plan that didn't involve backcountry rescue.
Portable solar for the cybertruck is better than nothing but basically useless. 1000w of power is 2-4 panels, an inverter, a bunch of wires. Currently the phantom drain will eat more than 1000w panels will produce on a day of full sun.
Solar for home to power it? Sure if you have the roof space
Solar for a mobile charging option? Cellphone sure, CT not so much

cybercoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYLR
Country flag
I plan to take along a Starlink antenna on my remote off-road trips so that I have internet connectivity. All Tesla app functions will function with Starlink wifi present. A cellular connection is not needed. I have Starlink Mobile service which I can activity for a month at a time for $150, pausing for months I don't need it.
What’s the cheapest starlink dish that works for this? I have a dishy at home, but the cheapest mobile option is $2500 is it not?

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, F150, Sorento
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Question on using solar panels to charge. My Model 3 and Y can charge at a minimum of 5A. On 240V that's about 1.25kW. Is it also 5A on 120V? That would mean you have to have a minimum of 600W to charge at all. That would add about a mile of range per hour of charge time.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Portable solar for the cybertruck is better than nothing but basically useless. 1000w of power is 2-4 panels, an inverter, a bunch of wires. Currently the phantom drain will eat more than 1000w panels will produce on a day of full sun.
Solar for home to power it? Sure if you have the roof space
Solar for a mobile charging option? Cellphone sure, CT not so much

Not really. I guess it is really apples to oranges scenario. An Eco Flow Delta Pro would be what most would use in this case. Maybe even two. Panels and to sit for a week or so. I know that is counterintuitive to many on the go. Boondocking is going to a place and siting, not moving every day. So if you are chill for a bit, it will add a bit, and make you not use the truck for power for other things around camp.

There is napkin math. Sales literature math, and how it actually works. Some just never try because. So if it works with a Rivian, 3, S, and an X, why not a Cybertruck? Even if all it does is keep up. Which will get better.

I think many would be surprised at a small panel setup with an Eco flow Delta pro. One doesn't need 15 panels. Let's stop with that nonsense. That is why batteries were invented.

I know people that use them to power rental tiny homes for a weekend. Drop off a charged battery, and can make it work easily. All from solar.

I have slept 4 nights under the stars. In the back bed open. I truly wonder where all you folks plan to keep all these contraptions. AC air movers. Generators. Batteries.

Where do you put the boots and all those other things. Seems like most of the stuff I read is to make it seem like one is at home.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag

I like the idea of solar, and I'll most likely include it in my travels where it makes sense. It doesn't hurt to have multiple fallbacks on long road trips where charging opportunities are scarce. One reason I chose a dual fuel generator is the option to run on gasoline if it came to that.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What’s the cheapest starlink dish that works for this? I have a dishy at home, but the cheapest mobile option is $2500 is it not?
I have the original round dish which I paid $500 for. I added suctions ups to the three-foot stand so it would stick to the CT's roof. I only use it when stationary to keep my subscription costs to $150/mo. I pause service when not using it.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I've found the reason that so much dust got into the vault on my off-road adventure last week. There's a 1/2" gap at the bottom of the gate as this photo shows:

Gate Gap.jpg

The top and sides of the gate have a rubber seal, but not between the gate and the bed of the truck. Plugging up this gap or installing a rubber seal should solve most if not all of the dust infiltration problem.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I have a solution for mounting my iPad Mini inside the CT for off-road navigation using Gaia GPS, OnX, etc. It's a telescoping mount from Arkon. It's anchored to the A-pillar window with a suction cup. The 18" telescoping bar rests on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It seems stable enough, but needs to be tested on a rough trail.

I may have to use Velcro to attach the iPad to the plate if I want it mounted in landscape orientation.

Arkon Mount.jpg

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question on using solar panels to charge. My Model 3 and Y can charge at a minimum of 5A. On 240V that's about 1.25kW. Is it also 5A on 120V? That would mean you have to have a minimum of 600W to charge at all. That would add about a mile of range per hour of charge time.

Our Model 3s can charge at 120V down to at least 8 amps. I've never seen a 240V battery generator but maybe they exist.

In an emergency, like to prevent the EV from running out of juice before it could get back to grid power, due to poor planning or surprises along the way, use a battery generator and then charge at a higher rate than the sun was producing. This would get the most energy into the battery in the shortest amount of time and let the truck go back to sleep while the battery generator continued to charge itself from the sun. There are some inefficiencies involved, but they could be minimized by charging the EV during the hours of strongest solar production.
Sponsored