cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You mean the Cybertruck with the range extender that goes as far with less battery?
you know it's less battery total, how?

you know Tesla will stick to its aspirations on the Range Extender's 130mi better than it did the 2019 "Tri-motor" 500mi, how?

you know the cost of this range extender, how?

I'm all for one-off speculation about where these things might land.

but to begin using them like known-knowns in order to declare the Cybertruck the 'winner' of anything, seems a habit folks might be thinking twice about these days
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
if it makes you feel any better, Tesla's 2019 "500mi" and Tesla's 2023 "340mi" are not a full 160 miles different - likely a good bit less

EVOverlanding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Cybertruck FS Order
Country flag
You're better off buying an all-wheel drive Cyber truck and just getting the extended battery. If Range is the only thing you care about.

Just being a realist based on real owners reporting.... Out of the dozen or so range reports we've seen only one has seemed optimistic in getting close to the advertised EPA range. So based on the majority of range reports right now it doesn't seem likely the CT will even hit the 450 mile range mark with the extender. Plus you'll need to go to a service center to get it installed, it's going to add several hundred pounds of weight to the truck which will impact its range, lower payload capacity, and sacrifice significant bed space. It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla delays it for a few years or scraps the range extender altogether.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just being a realist based on real owners reporting.... Out of the dozen or so range reports we've seen only one has seemed optimistic in getting close to the advertised EPA range. So based on the majority of range reports right now it doesn't seem likely the CT will even hit the 450 mile range mark with the extender. Plus you'll need to go to a service center to get it installed, it's going to add several hundred pounds of weight to the truck which will impact its range, lower payload capacity, and sacrifice significant bed space. It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla delays it for a few years or scraps the range extender altogether.
Don't compare highway to EPA.

And people with a new car aren't driving like an average person would.

-Crissa

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
EPA range test is based on a variation of city and highway driving. Almost all the range testing we've seen has been highway driving. One YouTuber, sorry I don't have a link, was able to get 380 mi out of the cybertruck. This was accomplished by driving under 65 with a good chunk of city driving. I can guarantee you the Chevy is not going to get 450 mi if you're driving 85 mph down the highway. That's the same problem everybody's having with the Cyber truck also is most of them are out west where the speed limit is much higher than the rest of the country. If you drive a cyber truck at country roads and drive at 55 miles an hour you'll probably get over 400 mi.