OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Along with the Delorean I also see how the designers got inspiration from these two other movie cars. Elon currently owns the Lotus Espirit from the Bond movie.

“It's the Storage Wars dream scenario: You buy a storage unit, sight unseen, for $100, and some rich guy, in this case Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk, buys the contents off you for almost a million bucks.

Back in 1989 a couple in Long Island, New York, paid about $100 for a storage unit without knowing the contents. Once they popped the door, we’re assuming with a dramatic shot of a cutting wheel shooting sparks as it slices the padlock, the couple found not just A 1976 Lotus Esprit, but THE 1976 Lotus Esprit used in the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me as a submarine.

It was one of eight used in the film, but the only one actually in the underwater scenes. It was used, stored there and forgotten.“

Tesla Cybertruck 3mm thick 30X stainless steel body panels / exoskeleton 94205466-C523-4C37-9B2A-F1A87D19E1A3
Tesla Cybertruck 3mm thick 30X stainless steel body panels / exoskeleton 7BFB9C4F-EB52-4AEE-9547-A9D97AE225BE
Sponsored

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Along with the Delorean I also see how the designers got inspiration from these two other movie cars. Elon currently owns the Lotus Espirit from the Bond movie.

“It's the Storage Wars dream scenario: You buy a storage unit, sight unseen, for $100, and some rich guy, in this case Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk, buys the contents off you for almost a million bucks.

Back in 1989 a couple in Long Island, New York, paid about $100 for a storage unit without knowing the contents. Once they popped the door, we’re assuming with a dramatic shot of a cutting wheel shooting sparks as it slices the padlock, the couple found not just A 1976 Lotus Esprit, but THE 1976 Lotus Esprit used in the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me as a submarine.

It was one of eight used in the film, but the only one actually in the underwater scenes. It was used, stored there and forgotten.“

94205466-C523-4C37-9B2A-F1A87D19E1A3.jpeg
7BFB9C4F-EB52-4AEE-9547-A9D97AE225BE.jpeg

And looking at the Lotus Espirit you see where Delorean got its design from!

Cool story story about L.I. couple. After reading your post I came across The Robb Report article about it, interesting.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Hello members. The CT body panels will be made of 3mm thick 30X stainless steel which is ROUGHLY 1/8” of inch. For a visual of how thick the Cybertruck SS body panels will be simply stack 2 quarters together. I can see why Tesla says it’s dent resistant.

41238142-4FCE-478D-B777-8F00FA3757D9.jpeg
This is 1/8 inch steel

Tesla Cybertruck 3mm thick 30X stainless steel body panels / exoskeleton 20200613_114424

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would be more concerned about damage to the hangers and locking mechanism! Did you see how the door and door handle jumped when the door was hit sledge hammer????

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
3mm was in the original cybertruck presentation directly from tesla. edit...hmm I could have sworn i heard it on the presentation but I rewatched and didn't see it. Perhaps a tweet was said or perhaps it is just rumor. People getting confused by the starship skin being 3mm and tesla saying its the same alloy

It is this thick because the outer skin or the truck IS STRUCTURAL.
Meaning, its required to be this strong for the truck to hold itself together.

Realistically the doors and other parts dont need to be 3mm, and I'm sure some won't be, but why not? It will help sell it for not too much more money
Nothing worse than some moron denting a panel of your pride and joy by being careless In car parks, at least on your side of the pond the parking spaces are more generous whereas ours hasn’t been increased for decades, would be priceless to see them on the receiving end with the damage only on their own vehicle.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Nothing worse than some moron denting a panel of your pride and joy by being careless In car parks, at least on your side of the pond the parking spaces are more generous whereas ours hasn’t been increased for decades, would be priceless to see them on the receiving end with the damage only on their own vehicle.
You mean like this when some bozo decided to try "auto park" with his Model S next to our Model 3?

Tesla Cybertruck 3mm thick 30X stainless steel body panels / exoskeleton IMG_8138.JPG

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I sincerely hope they box critical areas. Many of these will not spend their life trolling malls and skating rinks. I plan to have mine high up in the mountains of Idaho, and don't want anything to fail, no matter the hole, the rock climbing body twisting, river fording, and more. It's going to be a blast! peace

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
If they could also install stiffeners between the outer skin and inner skin will enhance strength.
Outer and inner?

car doors are hollow.
1. 3mm metal outer skin (exterior body panel)
2. hollow space (for window glass, & mechanisms, handle)
3. light weight (.5-.8mm) metal inner skin
4. cheap plastic/fabric decorative panel or if a real luxury car, fine cornithian leather :).

cargo bed area of truck
3mm metal outer skin (exterior body panel) - hollow space - 3mm metal inner skin (cargo bed wall) .

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I am can't wait for Sandy Monroe to perform a "tear down" video of the Cybertruck once it goes into production. I will be very interesting to say the least. I am very interested to see all of the design and engineering under the skin.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I know this is an old thread...

I knew it was thick, but seeing it visualized is a little mind boggling. This is going to be a beast.

Off-roading and you bump into a boulder and dent the boulder instead of the truck.

Definitely not going to be pussyfooting through the brush worried about dents and paint scratches with this.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
3mm thick over the entire area of the vehicle (and the rumored bottom skin) plus the bed, plus the interior compartments like the frunk and the bed cover would be way too heavy. Do the math. Simple example - if there is a bottom skin that covers the entire length say maybe 20' long x 6' wide x 0.11" thick x about 500 lbs / cu ft is over 500 lbs of weight right there.

There is a reason Ford is making parts of their trucks out of aluminum and NOT 3mm thick steel. Hauling around excess weight is just a waste of energy and resources and cuts into performance for driving, cornering, and stopping.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am can't wait for Sandy Monroe to perform a "tear down" video of the Cybertruck once it goes into production. I will be very interesting to say the least. I am very interested to see all of the design and engineering under the skin.
No better way of learning what the actual CT will be.