JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I agree it looks like a pretty high ratio for a normal box.
But how they do it is still a valid question.
I'm sort of hoping the front stays mechanical, and rear SbW.
Sponsored

WenssCT88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
The camera crew vehicle had no problem making the U in one shot. That tells you as helpful as rear steering is, with that size and wheelbase, it is just no match for a smaller vehicle when it comes to maneuverability.
It’s a freaking glorified golf cart. Are you joking?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It’s a freaking glorified golf cart. Are you joking?
+

Not at all. If you didn't get my point let me spell it out: I am saying the rear wheel steering for CT definitely makes it turn better than my F150 and it is something I could use but if people are expecting CT to turn as well as "a freaking glorified golf cart" because of those rear wheels, they will be disappointed. Just saying keep your expectations in check.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
+

Not at all. If you didn't get my point let me spell it out: I am saying the rear wheel steering for CT definitely makes it turn better than my F150 and it is something I could use but if people are expecting CT to turn as well as "a freaking glorified golf cart" because of those rear wheels, they will be disappointed. Just saying keep your expectations in check.
Wait until you see it do a tank turn! :ROFLMAO:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It may be able to do it when it is floating.

What?!?!?!

Tesla Cybertruck 4 wheel steering in action at Electrify Expo 1699955822351

Clearly this vehicle is not good enough. Needs another 7 mph.

evazquezcu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Silverado LT
Country flag
I have my reservations on regards this feature, feels like overengineering at most, and is something that most people didn't even ask for or care about, the same thing with the BAW, I mean why...? What was wrong with the usual two..? If wipers are already one of the most overpriced items you usually have to replace in your car can't even imagine how much the BAW will be.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I have my reservations on regards this feature, feels like overengineering at most, and is something that most people didn't even ask for or care about, the same thing with the BAW, I mean why...?
because Tesla was clearly aiming for a truck with the ~agility (and urban appeal) of a mid-sized truck

and while the exterior dimensions of the CT get within spitting distance of a mid-sized truck, the CT’s wheelbase is only 2” shorter than an F150 (likely for reasons of both design, but also payload/towing capacity)

I expect this RWS to get the CT’s maneuverability also to within spitting distance of a mid-sized truck, despite the full-sized wheelbase

4WS entered the chat in order to deliver a ~midsized truck agility, while still having capabilities (and interior/cargo) nearer to a standard 1/2 ton truck

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I expect this RWS to get the CT’s maneuverability also to within spitting distance of a mid-sized truck, despite the full-sized wheelbase

4WS entered the chat in order to deliver a ~midsized truck agility, while still having capabilities (and interior/cargo) nearer to a standard 1/2 ton truck
Not just the maneuverability of a mid-size truck, but Elon said it was at or better than the Model Y. So a mid sized sedan!

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
If he said that, im dubious 🤣

where/when did he say that?
I'm 99% sure I read it here. A tweet in response to the whisperer regarding 4WS. I paraphrased...

Tesla Cybertruck 4 wheel steering in action at Electrify Expo Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 12.00.32 PM

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm 99% sure I read it here. A tweet in response to the whisperer regarding 4WS. I paraphrased...

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 12.00.32 PM.png
roger that - still dubious

unless he’s using some loose sense of “better” (eg, in certain, limited, applications being able to scootch the tail end is more helpful than not being able to)

but assuming for a moment he’s talking turning radius:

Model Y is c2c of 19.9’

Tacoma double-cab 6’ bed: 22.1 ft

Tacoma double-cab 5’ bed: 20.3’

Lightning: 23.9’

so I guess I can’t be too dubious. It a Model Y is about the same as a Tacoma DC with 5’ bed, I can believe a longer wheelbase CT + 4WS could get to about that level of midsized c2c

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not just the maneuverability of a mid-size truck, but Elon said it was at or better than the Model Y. So a mid sized sedan!
A Model Y exceeds the definition of a mid-size sedan by about fifteen cubic feet, although it is inside the length of one.

-Crissa
Sponsored