4680 cell improvements by 10-20%

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Rumor is that Tesla is finalizing a new cell format which has 10-20% more energy density. If true the cybertrucks battery would have a pretty good gain in range. With the same amount of cells. Now Tesla could just use less cells than and keep the range the same but let's say they give us the gains. My question is would you wait say 3-6 more months for a 10-20% increase in energy out of your battery?
Sponsored

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
As much as I want them to implement this I don’t see them doing it solely to save on cost.

OP
OP
Darth abbott

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Keep in mind that 10-20% less batteries is a weight reduction, which would increase range as well. Many different ways to look at a change like that.
Yeah from Tesla standpoint, if they reduce the weight and that increases range, and they can reduce the amount of cells which also reduces their cost on the truck, they could go that route. I mean I hope they don't do that I hope they keep the amount of cells that are currently there and just give us the added range, which I'm kind of thinking they would do because they're not increasing the amount of cells they're just increasing the energy efficiency of them. And it would help to increase positive information about the cyber truck and range.

Nabilriaz69

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Rumor is that Tesla is finalizing a new cell format which has 10-20% more energy density. If true the cybertrucks battery would have a pretty good gain in range. With the same amount of cells. Now Tesla could just use less cells than and keep the range the same but let's say they give us the gains. My question is would you wait say 3-6 more months for a 10-20% increase in energy out of your battery?
Really 20% ? That will require whole battery chemistry to be changed. Sounds like more rumor to me. Tesla just reduced range estimates for model y,s and x

OP
OP
Darth abbott

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Really 20% ? That will require whole battery chemistry to be changed. Sounds like more rumor to me. Tesla just reduced range estimates for model y,s and x
The rumor comes from the employees building the cells. Supposably. It is changing the chemistry of the cells. If you Google it you can find YouTube videos and articles on it.

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
The 4680 is already a new chemistry that has gone through several iterations already. If they have made an improvement to a specific part of the anode, or cathode then it will not need a complete overhaul of the battery. When Tesla purchased Maxwell for their dry electrode tech they had a planned roadmap for achieving higher density each year but certain hurdles have obviously been difficult to overcome. Just like the other vehicle components, I would assume a change in the chemistry will not set them back more than a couple months at the most to implement. It’s like swapping out one specific part on the assembly line. It would be amazing news if they achieved another 10 or 20 percent energy density. Makes the range extender all the more desirable to act as a home power wall for less money.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Rumor from where?
I saw a thread about it yesterday
Title: New 4680 battery chemical makeup coming [link]
and then an article about it last night.
Article:
New Chemistry Set To Give Tesla's 4680 Battery Cells a Significant Energy Density Boost [link]

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
Keep in mind that 10-20% less batteries is a weight reduction, which would increase range as well. Many different ways to look at a change like that.
Which allows you to remove even more batteries, to keep the range the same. $$$

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Reposting this from another thread since I think it's very relevant to this discussion:

My Yukon holds 26 gallons of gasoline, which at 33.7 kWh/gallon is energy storage of 876 kWh. The engine's thermal efficiency is about 30%, so in terms of useable power that isn't wasted to heat that's an effective energy storage of 263 kWh. The Yukon's drag coefficient is about 0.38 compared to the Cybertruck's 0.34, both vehicles with a comparable height and width, so you can further factor down the effective useable propulsion energy to (0.34/0.38)*(263) = 235 kWh in order to make an apples-to-apples comparison with the Cybertruck.

This tells me that if they put a Hummer EV battery pack (200 kWh) into the Cybertruck's streamlined body you would get highway range comparable to my Yukon's. Until we see energy density in batteries double compared to today I think that you're always going to take a big hit switching from ICE to EV for highway driving and towing.
Sponsored

Reactions: REM