5 Yr timeline, EV truck market poll

Within 5 yrs, which trucks will make into U.S market? Select all that you think will be available.

• Tesla CT

Votes: 90 100.0%
  • Rivian R1T

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • Electric Ford F-150

Votes: 82 91.1%
  • GMC Hummer EV SUT

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • Electric Chevrolet or GMC 1500

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Toyota A-BAT or Full size truck

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Electric Nissan Truck

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Bollinger B2

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Neuron EV T.One

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Fisker Alaska

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Atlis XT

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nikola Badger

• Hercules Alpha

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Dodge or Ram Electric Truck

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Tesla "Wolverine"

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Alpha Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canoo EV Pickup

• Nissan Titan EV

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Ford will make it. Ford is partnered with Rivian, and with Rivian already out. Nice thing about this is that Elon will likely buy a Rivian and pull it apart. Maybe that's why he waits. Look into a Rivian and see into an eF150. And, Ford guys tend to be ride or die Ford. Chevy, no will have something. I hope they take Elon's advice and start from scratch, and not do what Ford may do - take the Rivian and add Ford badging. We will see. The reality is on that list, I only believe in the Tesla. Tesla has been doing this a lot longer. These other guys still have to earn their stars, so to say. There are many lessons in EV, and Ford, GM, and Dodge only know a. few of them. Elon made it happen, and he's still learning. peace
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This is obviously not a scientific poll, but I'm curious why some view the topic and opt not to vote on the subject. None voters please weigh in.

My guess is that it's because the poll is really not relevant in any meaningful way and satisfying some stranger's curiosity about what the group thinking is doesn't matter to them. I respect that. But I'm still curious what you all think.
I didn’t vote because I am not informed enough about all options and didn’t want to push your results the wrong way. And I was not sure how the results could be meaningful as far as it’s predictive powers.

My perception (Not based on any real insight) is as of now there is no real threat to big 3 ICE Makers. Rivian is closer to finish line but no one can mass produce EV Trucks cheap AND capable enough. CT specs and price may have put our purchases on hold for a while but even with 24/7 construction, Tesla is still at least a factory behind some of the competitors that have a hard time with this. Of course the fact that I am here means I want Tesla to succeed but it is far from slam dunk. Even Elan said prototype is only one percent of the deal. I am just trying to keep my excitement in check until I see a mortal (someone who won’t pay over $50K for a vehicle) behind the wheel in one of these on the street.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I didn’t vote because I am not informed enough about all options and didn’t want to push your results the wrong way. And I was not sure how the results could be meaningful as far as it’s predictive powers.
I wish my posts had predictive powers! My guess is that the poll rates about 0 on the 1-100 predictive power scale.

I am just trying to keep my excitement in check until I see a mortal (someone who won’t pay over $50K for a vehicle) behind the wheel in one of these on the street.
As someone who has never paid much more then $30k for a truck (I buy used) I'm curious and I don't want to start too much of a side conversation here, but do you think the CT is not competitively priced in the new truck market? I know I will put tens of thousand of dollars of gas into my Ford over a 10 year period. The cost to fuel the CT will be about 1/4 of that. So someone willing to buy a new full size ICE truck will spend close if not more then $70k over a decade.

In full disclosure I admit I personally see the break even point at closer to 20 yrs for the CT vs what I would typically buy. But for those out there buying new King Ranch, Platinum, Raptor, Trail Boss, High Country, LTZ, Limited, Laramie, Rebel, TRX or custom models I would put the break even at 10 years or in some cases...day 1.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I bet you'll find very few ride-or-die Ford guys once the Cybertruck is half the price.

-Crissa
Are you talking about the used market? I can't imagine the CT3 price coming down to $35k new.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
do you think the CT is not competitively priced in the new truck market?
I got all my vehicles used and over 3 decades total cost of my mobility has been less than a single motor CT but I do believe CT pricing is competitive today. In fact so competitive that I have to see it to believe it. Since none of the competitors can come close To it. Some of them are twice the price. I know Elan is good but that good?

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Added the Alpha Wolf and Canoo EV pickup to the list of options.
Also, going to close the poll on Sept 16th. It'll be interesting to see who actually brings something purchasable by 2025; who's out of the game; and who we didn't see coming.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ram...it's about time they at least said something. Still got time to make/change your vote.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...150-lightning-ev-truck-party/?sh=7e3edb846654

U.S. truck maker RAM will join the EV truck party by 2024 with a 500-mile EV RAM 1500, it was revealed in Paris today.

Most of the RAM range will have a full battery electric (EV) option by 2025, though it will be 2030 before every single RAM model has an EV counterpart.

There will be a full ladder-on-frame EV architecture, too, just for use in heavy trucks like RAM, Dodge and even Jeep.

RAM has been questioned about why it was lagging behind in EV technology, with Tesla claiming the high ground with its controversial Cybertruck, followed by Ford’s F-150 Lightning announcement last month.

RAM’s parent company, Stellantis, claims new battery technology, including solid-state batteries by 2026, will allow it to recharge at 20 miles a minute.

Stellantis announced four new EV vehicle platforms at its EV conference today, and backed it up with a commitment to spend €30 billion ($35.54 billion) on EV hardware and software by 2025.

The 14-brand automaking giant expects more than 40% of its total sales in North America to be EVs by 2030, which will lag significantly behind the 70% EV target it has for Europe in the same timeframe.

CEO Carlos Tavares says the plan for Stellantis, whose most famous brands include Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Citroen, Jeep, Opel and Dodge, will see it end up with five battery plants, with more than 260gW of capacity, by 2030.

The four planned chassis architectures will cover small, efficient city cars, premium cars, all-wheel drive cars, muscle cars and heavy-duty trucks.

Each of the four platforms are planned to carry up to two million sales a year, with the STLA Small architecture boasting up to 500km of range, the premium STLA Medium architecture coping with up to 700km and both the STLA Large and the STLA Frame capable of up to 800km (500 miles) of range.

Stellantis will mix and match three electric drive modules (containing the e-motors, gearboxes and inverters in one casing) to create front-, rear- and all-wheel drive models.

All new EVs will accept over-the-air updates, while hardware upgrades are already planned to keep the platforms fresh “well into” the 2030s.

“Our electrification journey is quite possibly the most important brick to lay as we start to reveal the future of Stellantis just six months after its birth, and now the entire company is in full execution mode to exceed every customer’s expectations and accelerate our role in redefining the way the world moves,” Tavares told the Group’s EV day today.

“We have the scale, the skills, the spirit and the sustainability to achieve double-digit Adjusted Operating Income margins, lead the industry with benchmark efficiencies and deliver electrified vehicles that ignite passion.”

Created in a merger of Groupe PSA and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in January, Stellantis controls the Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lancia, Abarth, Fiat Professional and Fiat badges from Italy, Peugeot, Citroen and DS from France, Germany’s GM refugee Opel and Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and RAM from the US.

Meanwhile Opel, expunged from the GM fold in 2017, expects to be a fully electric brand by 2028, according to its CEO Michael Lohscheller.

The brand will also be introduced to China, with the charge lead by a retro coupe based on the popular 1970s model, the Opel Manta.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would have been down for a Bollinger but they are years behind initial forecast and now double the price with half the range of other offerings. They are no longer worth it for the "everyday consumer" IMO
If I was a tycoon with a large spread somewhere in a hilly/mountainous area with lots of boulders or other obstacles, I could totally see myself buying a few of the Bollinger rigs to use on the spread. Possibly to go into town for supplies.

But even then, I'd be driving a CT for my regular vehicle.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Potentially new truck to vote on.
I didn't see it before, but just read that Nissan might partner with Hercules to build an E-Titan.

This poll closes in about a month. Are there any other consumer trucks (defined as vehicles with open bed storage that you would park at your house.) that I need to add?

https://insideevs.com/car-lists/electric-trucks/

Nissan Titan Electric Truck
According to unofficial sources, Nissan soon might also join the growing number of manufacturers that are working on a full-size electric pickup for the U.S. market.

The Japanese company reportedly is in talks with the Hercules Electric Vehicles startup (founded in 2018). Hercules would like to offer a "rugged luxury" pickup called Hercules Alpha (from mid-2022).

Nissan would buy "a battery-electric powertrain" from Hercules Electric Vehicles to use in the EV version of its Titan model, while Hercules Electric Vehicles would use Titan parts in its project.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Damn...I guess I did already have a Nissan Truck option. Missed that. The poll doesn't let me delete any options I add, so we'll just have to live with it. Unless someone knows how to delete options...in which case I'll also delete the Badger option.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Ryan Shaw just put out a video on EV trucks coming to market.

Sponsored