500 mile Cybertruck is a must

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The Cybertruck certainly has more than traditional truck buyers in the reservation que. It will bring many non-truck buyers into the truck world. I have never owned a truck and my interest in Cybertruck is only partially inspired buy hauling stuff and, pulling a trailer is low priority.

Tesla goal is to transition us to less pollution & less CO2 transportation as possible in the quickest time to EVs.

I don't think Tesla's intention is for ICE car owners to move to larger vehicles ( EV trucks ) but of course they have no direct control over which vehicle people buy.

Cybertrucks purpose is to to get slow/stop sales of new ICE trucks. Entice people thinking of buying ICE trucks to buy EVs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I do not understand how you read that and concluded the usage number was even lower.

Here is another article

Of new full-size pickup owners, 68% use theirs for recreational towing and 92% for carrying large items at least once a year, according to a survey of 30,000 truck owners from California-based automotive research consulting firm Strategic Vision.

--------------------------------------

* The Detroit News is subscription only. investor.lordstownmotors.com had copy.

Electric trucks are coming — but pickup owners need convincing
The Detroit News
September 1, 2020
https://investor.lordstownmotors.com/static-files/6c73522e-b9bf-49c2-815e-fedfc1c70d26

"I'd consider an electric if it had the capabilities of my current truck, and there was more infrastructure in the state for charging," said Rick Sobus, a Michigan resident who owns an F-150, in a Facebook comment to The Detroit News. "I don't want to be pulling my camper to northern Michigan and have to carry a generator or something to charge my truck."

Truck owners like Sobus say no matter what, they need the capability already offered by their internal combustion or diesel vehicles. Of new full-size pickup owners, 68% use theirs for recreational towing and 92% for carrying large items at least once a year, according to a survey of 30,000 truck owners from California-based automotive research consulting firm Strategic Vision.

"They have to be getting the same idea with a truck in the towing, ruggedness or capability of it," said Alexander Edwards, Strategic Vision's president. "It has to feel like a truck, behave like a truck and do better than a truck because of the electrification. If it does that, there's one in 15 (truck owners) that will go and check out it."

That 7% of the market is a starting point, Edwards said, and the demographics are desirable. These electric-vehicle truck intenders' median age is 50, lower than that of the general car-buying population and current EV owners. They typically have a college degree and report a median household income of $175,000.

They often enjoy outdoor activities, too, which is why a silent and emission-free drive could be appealing. Electric powertrains also provide instant maximum torque. With far fewer moving pieces, electric vehicles require less maintenance.

--------------------------------------
I don't know how you know what my expectations were in the first place? ;)
I thought the usage would be more, but both those prove that they are less than what "I" expected. I was wrong, because I didn't "expect" the numbers to be that low.

Hence my comment that CT would be winner anyway then, because most of the arguments for poor towing performance, would not rear it's head in the real world anyway.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck is not competing with EV trucks. Tesla is competing with ICE trucks like the market leader Ford F-150.

Tesla needs option of more than 500mi range on Cybertruck so the towing range of Cybertruck is closer to the Ford F-150 towing range. 0-60mph times are not the importaant thing it is the towing range that is important. Cybertruck towing range does not need to beat the Ford F-150 but the Cybertruck towing range needs to get closer to the Ford F-150 towing range.
The assumption here seems to be that the Cybertruck needs to beat the F-150 in every way.

Cybertruck will be better than the ICE F-150 most ways. Much much better.

Charging and range have always been the tough sell on electric vehicles, and it’s likely the Cybertruck will be a little less impressive than the F-150 on that front. It’s just the nature of the beast when you can toss an extra 100 kWh on there for a couple hundred bucks on the ICE truck.

It’s very likely Cybertruck is going to be a bit of a struggle if your hearts desire is to tow trailers hundreds of miles a day.

Cybertruck doesn’t need to be this perfect towing machine in people’s head. It’ll do just fine being an “Ok” towing machine that does a lot of other things well.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The assumption here seems to be that the Cybertruck needs to beat the F-150 in every way.

Cybertruck will be better than the ICE F-150 most ways. Much much better.

Charging and range have always been the tough sell on electric vehicles, and it’s likely the Cybertruck will be a little less impressive than the F-150 on that front. It’s just the nature of the beast when you can toss an extra 100 kWh on there for a couple hundred bucks on the ICE truck.

It’s very likely Cybertruck is going to be a bit of a struggle if your hearts desire is to tow trailers hundreds of miles a day.

Cybertruck doesn’t need to be this perfect towing machine in people’s head. It’ll do just fine being an “Ok” towing machine that does a lot of other things well.
I honestly think the best tow vehicle at this time, would be a plug in hybrid. In some ways it's a bit of a shame that Tesla is EV only. A plug in hybrid truck would work well, because you could have basically an EV truck for everyday use. And then when you go on vacations towing, you would have a powerful and efficient vehicle for towing. With good range and not have to stop and recharge all the time.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
My personal position is that Hybrids are the worst of both worlds, and I have absolutely zero interest. My brother has had an old Prius for a while and loved it (well until someone took it out being an idiot in traffic). He's a mechanic and was able to repeatedly fix the battery.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I honestly think the best tow vehicle at this time, would be a plug in hybrid. In some ways it's a bit of a shame that Tesla is EV only. A plug in hybrid truck would work well, because you could have basically an EV truck for everyday use. And then when you go on vacations towing, you would have a powerful and efficient vehicle for towing. With good range and not have to stop and recharge all the time.
I wonder if Tesla is planning something like an F350 class of truck. Ideally something you can repurpose into an ambulance or other utility truck or use for towing. It would have a configurable battery pack and a bed you can replace with a flatbed, a tow hitch, a utility bed (maybe with cherry picker), box truck, etc. An ambulance might only have 200 kWh (they are heavy!!) but some utility trucks would need 300 kWh or more.

I don’t think Cybertruck chassis would work for this.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
An F350 is basically just a 250; same basic chassis. Maybe you mean the F450/550/650?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An F350 is basically just a 250; same basic chassis. Maybe you mean the F450/550/650?
Probably.

I’ve seen F250/ 350s (heck even 150s) build as flatbeds, utility trucks, or as towing specific rigs. Replacing the bed on a truck is fairly straight forward.

One of the underpinnings of a truck chassis is how flexible it really is. Cybertruck can exceed a basic “Pickup Truck”, but truck chassis can be used for a lot of purposes. That’s where I’m thinking a different chassis might be useful.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yep.

My bigger point here is there are a lot of “Trucks”. Cybertruck isn’t going to compete with them all on day 1. They can hit 80-90% of what pickup trucks do and are good for, leaving a fairly big gap to fill in later. It’s important, but low volume.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You have driven 250 miles, about 4 hours of towing.
You stop , plug in the superturbocharger.. look at the flowers.
After 35 minutes of this torture, go back into your truck and drive for another 2 or 3 hours.

Rivian, Lightning, Single, Dual.... forget it.
Unfortunately, its early days and expectations confuse matters.
To be fair, we don't compare an ICE vehicle built for towing with an ICE that isn't.

Towing starts with a vehicle with minimum 500 miles range.

So far, it's the Tri and Quad. Not perfect, but enough for the greater majority. IMO

There will be greater range as manufacturers race to meet all towing needs. And 'affordable'.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Towing starts with a vehicle with minimum 500 miles range.
The idea of 80-90% charge in ~10min is going to erode max batt. Chargedot or whatever the name get 80% in minutes the 500 mi battery is niche for offroaders outback and Seafaring Tesla pontoon boats.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck is not competing with EV trucks. Tesla is competing with ICE trucks like the market leader Ford F-150.

Tesla needs option of more than 500mi range on Cybertruck so the towing range of Cybertruck is closer to the Ford F-150 towing range. 0-60mph times are not the importaant thing it is the towing range that is important. Cybertruck towing range does not need to beat the Ford F-150 but the Cybertruck towing range needs to get closer to the Ford F-150 towing range.
https://www-nextbigfuture-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/02/tesla-cybertruck-will-have-more-towing-range-than-a-gas-ford-f150-tsla.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM=#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=16756166629477&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&ampshare=https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/02/tesla-cybertruck-will-have-more-towing-range-than-a-gas-ford-f150-tsla.html

So a F150 and a CT both towing the same load take off and the CT goes further than the gas powered F150. #enginnering explained.
Because torque matters. It matters so much. Anyone want to explain to me how this happens now? No? Just gonna eat the crow pie?

Last edited: