John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Oh for eff sake, read the article about nickel, please.

He says they will be supply constrained, but the supply is out there, just needs to be extracted.

Yeah, if we actually built as much urban housing as people wanted, it wouldn't be so expensive. And mass transit wouldn't suck so much.

Literally there are guys standing in the way of us putting an electric trolly on the tracks that exist in our county today. Like, why?

-Crissa
Oh for eff sake, read the article about nickel, please.

He says they will be supply constrained, but the supply is out there, just needs to be extracted.

Yeah, if we actually built as much urban housing as people wanted, it wouldn't be so expensive. And mass transit wouldn't suck so much.

Literally there are guys standing in the way of us putting an electric trolly on the tracks that exist in our county today. Like, why?

-Crissa
Oh for eff sake, do your homework. There is plenty of nickel. You can say that about everything in the supply could be a problem three to four years out . You really the people in industry are that stupid and are not planning ahead…give me a break. Take a few minutes to study a topic you know nothing about…..sorry for being so blunt but you can really nag. Stop screaming the sky is falling.

Regarding supply of class 1 nickel, Jarvis said, “We think class 1 nickel is going to start getting really tight two, three, four years out. Once the cars start rolling out and more of the class 1 gets sucked into batteries that could get to a crunch point when there is not enough for everybody, including the 5% necessary for stainless-steel.”

The nickel price has been fluctuating in the last month between $5.50 and $6.00 per pound. Jarvis said, “it is a volatile commodity that has ranged between $4 and $24 a pound over the last 15 years.”. He concluded, “$9 per pound is the incentive price for large new nickel projects to get built, according to Wood MacKenzie.”

Jarvis updated Resource World on Giga Metals Corp.’s [GIGA-TSXV; HNCKF-OTCQB; BRR2-FSE] Turnagain Project located in north-central British Columbia. Turnagain is a large, low-grade sulphide nickel deposit with measured and indicated resources of 5.2 billion pounds of nickel and 312 million pounds of cobalt and inferred resources of 5.5 billion pounds of nickel and 327 million pounds of cobalt.

The company is currently working on a PEA, expected to be out in Q2 2020. Jarvis told Resource World that Giga is conducting metallurgic testing that can increase recoveries which will significantly improve the project’s economics and the PEA’s numbers. The open pit mine being modelled is expected to have a 38-year-mine-life and has a strip ratio of less than 1:1.

Jarvis said the company is looking for investors/partners to bring the project to feasibility and to do an environmental assessment.

A brief survey of nickel companies’ activities:

BatteryOne Royalty Corp. is a private royalty company focused on nickel and copper deposits in Tier 1 one jurisdictions with an emphasis on proven mining camps. BatteryOne’s secondary emphasis is on cobalt, tin, lithium, graphite, lead and zinc deposits. The company reports that it will, “shortly commence the listing process with the TSX Venture Exchange with the objective of completing it later in 2020.”

Bolt Metals Corp.’s [BOLT-CSE] (formerly Pacific Rim Cobalt) flagship Cyclops laterite nickel-cobalt property is in Papua Province, Indonesia. The project has environmental and mining permits, year-round access, good infrastructure and a local workforce.

In 2020, Bolt Metals’ plans include “preparations to commission and operate a pilot process test plant in Canada, which will contain an integrated circuit to produce high purity nickel and cobalt strip solutions, required to develop battery-grade material,”

According to a February 24 news release, the company also plans to produce a maiden 43-101 resource estimate.

Canada Nickel Company Inc. [CNC-TSXV] announced, February 28, a maiden mineral resource estimate for its 100% owned Crawford nickel-cobalt sulphide project in the Timmins-Cochrane mining camp in Ontario.

The company reported a maiden resource with a higher grade core of measured and indicated resource of approximately 263 million tonnes at 0.31% nickel, 0.013% cobalt, and 0.038 g/t Pd + Pt within an overall measured and indicated resource of approximately 600 million tonnes at 0.25% nickel, and 0.013% cobalt, and an additional higher grade inferred resource of approximately 66 million tonnes at 0.29% nickel and 0.013% cobalt within an overall inferred resource of approximately 310 million tonnes at 0.23% nickel and 0.013% cobalt.

Mark Selby, Chair and CEO of Canada Nickel said, “With exploration activities and mineralogy work well underway, we expect a steady stream of news flow that will underpin an exciting inaugural year for the company.”

In an April 6 news release, Canada Nickel reported the discovery of a new palladium-platinum zone discovered while drilling the remaining holes from the initial drilling campaign on the main anomaly at Crawford.

FPX Nickel [FPX-TSXV] is developing the large-scale Decar Nickel District in central British Columbia which hosts their 100%-owned, PEA-stage, Baptiste awaruite deposit, which the company says, “has the potential to become one of the largest nickel mines in Canada.”

On February 25, 2020, FPX announced the appointment of BBA Inc. as lead engineer and consultant for the preparation of an updated NI 43-101 preliminary economic assessment (PEA) expected in Q3 or Q4 2020.

The company’s recent successful leach testing of high-grade nickel concentrates confirmed nickel recoveries up to 99.5%, producing a high-concentration nickel-cobalt chemical solution suitable for electric vehicle batteries. Martin Turenne, FPX President and CEO said, “This testing confirms the potential for the production of nickel sulphate and cobalt sulphate from awaruite ore in a simple three-stage process encompassing ore beneficiation, pressure leaching, and solvent extraction.”

FPX’s other 100%-owned nickel properties include the Orca Wale and Klow in BC and the Mich property in Yukon.

Garibaldi Resources Corp. [GGI-TSXV; GGIFF-OTC; RQM-FSE] continues to report impressive drill results from their Flagship Nickel Mountain Project near Eskay Creek, in British Columbia’s Golden Triangle. This magmatic nickel-copper-rich massive sulphide deposit also includes palladium, platinum, cobalt, gold, silver and PGE rare metals including rhodium.

February 21, 2020 reported highlights include, from drill hole EL-19-82, 9.83 metres of massive sulphides grading 7.2% nickel, 3.6% copper and 4.8 g/t palladium-platinum-gold, expanding and thickening the Lower Discovery Zone (LDZ) to the north. Three metres above, in the same hole, is an extremely high-grade 38-cm vein that returned 10.0 g/t palladium, 4.3 g/t platinum, 0.12% cobalt, 3.4 g/t gold, 26.0 g/t silver, 6.5% Ni and 4.8% Cu.

The company states, “A total of 84 drill holes have now been completed at Nickel Mountain since the initial discovery in 2017. The extent of the E&L Intrusion and associated nickel-copper-rich mineralization has yet to be delimited.”

Garibaldi has several additional exploration projects in British Columbia and Mexico.

Lundin Mining Corp. [LUN-TSX; LUNMF-OTC; LUMI-Sweden] produces nickel and copper concentrate from their 100%-owned, underground Eagle Mine in Michigan, USA. Production guidance and outlook for 2020 – 2022 for Eagle is 15,000 – 18,000 tonnes of nickel and 15,000 – 18,000 tonnes of copper. The mine produces ~2,000 tpd and transports ore to the Humboldt mill for processing using a three-stage crushing and single stage ball mill process flotation to produce separate nickel and copper concentrates.

In September of 2019, Lundin announced an increase in the Probable Mineral Reserve estimate for the Eagle East ore body extending Eagle Mine’s life by over a year to mid-2025.

The company expects cash costs in 2020 to reduce year-on-year to $1.00/lb nickel after by-product credits as higher grades from Eagle East reduce per pound unit costs.

Lundin operations include the Candelaria copper gold mine (Chile), the Chapada copper gold mine (Brazil), the Neves-Covo copper zinc mine (Portugal) and the Zinkgruvan copper zinc mine (Sweden).

Nickel Creek Platinum Corp. [NCP-TSX; NCPCF-OTCQB; P94P-FSE] is advancing its 100% owned Nickel Shaw Project towards becoming Canada’s next nickel sulphide mine. The Yukon property is host to over 2 billion pounds of nickel, 1 billion pounds of copper, 6 million ounces of platinum group metals (PGMs) and 120 million pounds of cobalt in the measured and indicated categories. The company describes the deposit as large, open pittable with significant payable metals.

A 2019 geophysics program that tested the Quill exploration target area identified several strong conductors that warrant drilling.

Nickel Creek reported, April 7, that it has closed tranche 1 of its private placement of 13,436,635 units for gross proceeds of ~$672,000 to be used for the investigation of strategic transactions, permitting activities and holding costs, general corporate and working capital purposes, and a 2020 field exploration program.

RNC Minerals Corp. [RNX-TSX; RNKLF-OTCQX] has a 28% stake in the JV that owns the Dumont Project in Québec’s Abitibi mining camp.

RNC describes the Dumont Project as one of the world’s largest undeveloped, permitted and shovel-ready nickel sulphide deposits containing approximately 6.1 billion pounds of nickel in the proven and probable reserve categories and 9.75 billion pounds of nickel resources in the measured and indicated category, enough nickel for a 30-year-mine-life.

RNC also has 100% ownership of the producing Beta Hunt gold mine in Western Australia and a 33% interest in Orford Mining Corp. exploring underexplored areas of Northern Québec and the Carolina Gold Belt in the United States.

RNC estimates a construction schedule of 2 years after securing financing and completing detailed engineering.

Sherritt International Corp. [S-TSX], one of the world’s largest producers of nickel from lateritic sources, has operations in Canada, Cuba and Madagascar.

The company’s Moa Joint Venture (50% Sherritt, 50% General Nickel Company S.A. of Cuba) mines and refines nickel from lateritic sources located in Moa, Cuba and Fort Saskatchewan in Alberta, Canada, producing class 1 nickel and high-grade cobalt products. In 2019 Moa produced 33,108 tonnes of nickel and 3,376 tonnes of cobalt.

In Madagascar, Sherritt’s Ambatovy nickel cobalt JV (operator Sherritt 12%, other partners include Sumitomo and Korea Resources Corporation) mines, processes, refines and markets Class I finished nickel. In 2019, production at Ambatovy was 33,733 tonnes of finished nickel and 2,900 tonnes of cobalt.

Sherritt licenses its proprietary technologies and provides metallurgical services to mining and refining operations worldwide.

Glencore PLC [GLEN-LSE; GLN-Jo’burg; GLNCY-OTC] owns and operates the Raglan Mine located 15 km south of the northern tip of the Ungava (Nunavik) Peninsula in far northern Quebec. The company is currently operating four underground mines at Raglan that generate 100% of the project’s total ore production: Katinniq, Mine 2, Kikialik and Qakimarjurq.

Approximately 1.3 million tonnes of ore is treated annually at the concentrator resulting in more than 39,000 tonnes of nickel-in-concentrate annually. Mill capacity is 3,000 tonnes per day.

The nickel concentrate is trucked 100 km to the Deception Bay seaport facilities, where it is stored in a dome warehouse until shipped to Quebec City via the 27,000-metric tonne capacity ice breaker (MV Arctic). Upon arrival, the concentrate is shipped by rail to Glencore’s smelter in Sudbury, Ontario. There the concentrate is melted and cast into matte, which is sent back to Québec City via rail, then shipped to Glencore’s refinery in the coastal city of Kristiansand, Norway, where the unwrought mineral is turned into pure metals before being sold globally.

Vale [VALE-NYSE], headquartered in Brazil, is the world’s largest producer of iron ore and iron ore pellets and the world’s largest producer of nickel with nickel mines and operations in Brazil (Onça Puma), Canada (Sudbury, Ontario; Thompson, Manitoba; Voisey’s Bay, Labrador), Indonesia (PTVI), and New Caledonia (VNC) as well as fully-owned and joint venture refineries in China, South Korea, Japan, the U.K. and Taiwan.

Vale’s reported production of finished nickel reached 208 kt in 2019, in line with the annual guidance of 210–220 kt, and 15.0% lower than 2018. Vale stated, in the production report, that lower 2019 production “reflected lower feed from third parties, lower source ore from Thompson and VNC, the latter due to limited availability of process plant operational assets during the year, as well as lower production from Onça Puma prior to receiving judicial authorisation to resume both mine and processing activities in September.”

The company stated that nickel operations were also impacted during the year due to maintenance shutdowns at the North Atlantic refineries, which have been resumed and are now operating at regular rates.

The refining activities in VNC, responsible for processing the feed into nickel oxide, will cease from April 2020 onwards, as part of the process to improve short-term cash flow. With this flowsheet simplification, VNC’s nickel product mix will be solely comprised of nickel hydroxide cake.

KGHM Polska Miedz SA’s [KGH-Warsaw] is a multinational miner whose assets include the 100%-owned copper nickel Victoria Project, located in Ontario, 35 km west of Sudbury. KGHM says, “The project is currently in the phase of development and analysis.”

Based on 2017 analytical work, the baseline scenario assumes two phases of development: the sinking of the first shaft, with additional exploration work and, later, the sinking of the production shaft. KGHM plans to process the ore at Vale’s Clarabelle plant in Sudbury.

In Sudbury KGHM also has McCreedy West underground mine now in production.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Plus Musk needs to secure suppliers for Teslaquila.

For some reason I hadn't noticed you were from Mexico previously (I'm kind of oblivious to those little flags). How hard would it be to import yours if you weren't able to take delivery in Mexico?
Tesla has been in Mexico for several years. The three largest cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey) have Tesla service centers and I saw Tesla job postings that hint there will be a couple more soon.
https://www.tesla.com/es_mx/findus?...5.49677099904481&zoom=6&filters=store,service

I have friends that are electronics or mechanical engineers at various Mexican component suppliers to auto OEMs (Ford, GM, Toyota, VW, etc) in Mexico & USA.
I know some of these plants ship components to Tesla Fremont factory & the new Rivian factory.

Tesla has applied to become energy supplier to Mexico national grid ( CFE ).

There are jobs at Tesla Mexico in areas
Sales & Customer Support ( including service centers).
Supply Chain ( component development & qualification activities with suppliers in Mexico).
Service & Energy (Commercial solar PV systems, batteries, and electric vehicle charging stations).
Engineering & Information Technology.
https://www.tesla.com/es_MX/careers/search/?country=MX

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
How hard would it be to import yours if you weren't able to take delivery in Mexico?
Oops, I forgot to answer your specific question.

I expect to pickup my Cybertruck at my local Tesla service center with Tesla doing all import stuff just like it does today for Models S/3/X/Y .

What I don't know is if I could pickup in Austin, TX and drive it home to Mexico without having to do the vehicle's import myself.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I expect to pickup my Cybertruck at my local Tesla service center with Tesla doing all import stuff just like it does today for Models S/3/X/Y .
Full sized trucks are fairly common in Mexico aren't they?

So you won't have to worry about the truck being too big like the Europeans/ Brits do.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Full sized trucks are fairly common in Mexico aren't they?
Yup, very common Ford-F150/F-250/F-350, GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado, RAM 1500 / 2500 HD

and all the other big trucks

-------------------

Ford Super Duty F-250 2022 La Pickup con Más Torque del Mercado (The Pickup with the Most Torque on the Market )
https://www.ford.mx/camiones/f250/2022/

PICKUP RAM 1500 TRX: Vehículo de Aventura del Año en su debut (Debut Adventure Vehicle of the Year)
Ciudad de MĂ©xico, 16 de junio de 2021
https://www.ram.com.mx/blog/noticias/pickup-ram-1500-trx-vehiculo-de-aventura-del-ano-en-su-debut

------------------------

So you won't have to worry about the truck being too big like the Europeans/ Brits do.
Only areas that might be a problem is if you go to tourist areas of old town, blocks of buildings from 150 years ago that have very narrow streets. Most now are pedestrian only but a few still allow cars.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Plus Musk needs to secure suppliers for Teslaquila.

For some reason I hadn't noticed you were from Mexico previously (I'm kind of oblivious to those little flags). How hard would it be to import yours if you weren't able to take delivery in Mexico?
Mexico is too northern.... Tesla will need a south America factory.

As for the democracy thing, politics don't need to factor into this. and there are better models of democracy than the sh**storm in the US.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
With all of these Giga factories taking up new soil, why are old manufacturing plants being ignored. I understand that the old Packard plant needs Giga TLC but it's not taking up new ground. It's over 3 million sq ft of unused space. Build the new Model 2 in Motor City. I understand that it costs more to renovate than build from scratch but why isn't Detroit (and the feds for that matter) practically giving this property to someone who will turn that city around. Or is it just too late for Detroit? Average home price in this city is under 60K.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Mexico is too northern.... Tesla will need a south America factory.

As for the democracy thing, politics don't need to factor into this. and there are better models of democracy than the sh**storm in the US.
Americans from the North have roadtripitis with freeways everywhere. An EV in every garage in N.A.

Americans in South America never had post WWII economies to support infrastructure investment in Interstate highway systems. Countries control the number, size and powertrains to avoid congestion, pollution and competing with their mass transit bus systems.

An EV will be a status symbol vehicle for those who can afford import and duty fees imposed(read control). Like most of the AG product grown for export not for local consumption BEV cars would be export products.

Political reality isTesla makes a huge contribution to economic stability for free economies suffering migration drain to North America. BIG question is where can Tesla make the biggest impact?

Colombia is the country which is most benefited in scale and impact at a precipitous moment in its struggle toward economic independence. It also has ports on the Atlantic that positions it for EU, Middle East and African continent distribution after Central and South American deliveries.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Because Tesla found they basically had to rebuild the NUMMI plant. There was no value in buying the existing facility because they would have to level it.

And some existing facilities come with Union deals which tie what they can do with it - whether or not you like Unions, existing workforces might not suit their needs.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
With all of these Giga factories taking up new soil, why are old manufacturing plants being ignored. I understand that the old Packard plant needs Giga TLC but it's not taking up new ground. It's over 3 million sq ft of unused space. Build the new Model 2 in Motor City. I understand that it costs more to renovate than build from scratch but why isn't Detroit (and the feds for that matter) practically giving this property to someone who will turn that city around. Or is it just too late for Detroit? Average home price in this city is under 60K.
old factories are likely not to spec, for starters. Building new can be cheaper.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to one of the Tesla talking heads on YouTube there is not enough income in India (population yes, income no) to warrant a plant there. Average income there is $3,168.00 per year.
Giga Berlin can send cars to India.......mayhaps the 25K model we are hearing about for the more affluent Indians. .
South America is the next logical place for Tesla EV production.
And what if they build cars there for export?

Deleted member 12457

Coming in late but looking at all the trouble Apple had with the government of India I'd recommend that Tesla not bother. Too many restrictions and requirements Tesla would have to meet. If you think Berlin had issues, India would have ten times more issues.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
A lot of these people will be low income types (and maybe low IQ types) but as the number of EVs increases and the demand for gasoline and diesel wans the price of fuel will go up.
It will be hard to justify ten buck a gallon gas or diesel.
Big Oil will cut production and as we all know when the supply tightens the price goes up.
Pipelines and distribution costs (trucking fuel to the stations) will not get any cheaper and will have a direct effect on price. Truckers still have to be paid.
It would be ironic to have Tesla semis delivering gas and diesel.
States may also increase the fuel tax to make up for lost revenue which will further increase the price of dino juice. Of course they may jack up fees for registering an EV too.
At some point the even the most obtuse EV resistors will be priced out of ICE ownership.
This is a complicated equation over the next several years, fuel prices will go up and down. Without a carbon tax, fuel may actually come down in price if the demand falls off enough. If this happens the math shifts and some people will simply do what cost them less.

I know many of the big tar sand projects were built for 40 year life spans and can make money around $40 per barrel. Some of the wells in Saudi produce for less than $15 per barrel and likely will for some time. Fracking will get a little more efficient as well. If there is a profit to be made, big oil will do it.

I could see us eliminating the road fuel tax altogether and have everyone go to transponders. that might have a huge effect on the cost per gallon.

Then we have the 3rd world countries. If they have oil reserves what will they do?
Sponsored