Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The midgate passthrough is actually what I desire the most out of all the 'this may happen' sort of features that have been mentioned in tweets.

Without the midgate, it will still be very good for camping. If you wanted to sleep with the vault closed, like you said you have lots of headroom, but there is also light bars on the sides of the bed so you have that, plus the possible window that you can open for fresh air and a little light so it's not pitch black. If you sleep with the vault open, the tesla camping set tent is perfect for bed camping. I love the design of it and it is elevated so the counter and oven top can be stored under. i'm hoping that even without purchasing the kitchen part of it, that you can still have a sleeping platform to store stuff underneath.

Now if there is a midgate, you add another like 3-4' of space for more bed space if you have a few people or just a family camping trip with kids. Not only this but now you have a glass roof to sleep under with your feet going towards the tailgate and you can stargaze in bed while falling asleep.
Obviously there are also a lot of benefits for just a massive cargo area that could store almost anything. This would be perfect for anyone who goes to the timber yard a lot for work or home projects.

Something that i've mentioned on other threads and this is a little more specific but it's something I would really benefit from as well as a lot of other people i'm sure. I use my car a lot instead of a hotel, i'm pretty cheap despite my company giving me an allowance for a hotel. If I don't provide a receipt, they give me an average rate at the nearest hotel to where I'm sent. I am going to love having the Cybertruck when I am going on these trips because I will have a much more comfortable sleep. If there is a midgate, it also gives me more discretion when i'm doing this. With a midgate, I can just leave it open with the vault closed and when I leave the gym, I can just go to the back seat, and it wouldn't really draw any attention. But I don't really want to go to the bed, open the vault, climb in, and close the vault. looks a little weird.
If the window rolled down you could at least shimmy over into the cabin. That would be something at least. I feel like the midgate is too much to hope for, but fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
No.

I think the last we heard was 'no door handles'.

-Crissa
Just a little correction Crissa, Elon’s tweet indicated “no handles“ and yes all of us are assuming that he is referring to door handles but seriously you just never know with him. He can be quite cryptic!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
For all that are getting anxious in this waiting game, we are not alone. How would you design a CT version of this Rivian T-shirt?

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? 1624368366478

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Just a head on image of the lightbar.

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? tesla-cybertruck-outdoor-image

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cancellation of Plaid Plus doesn't really tell us anything.

-Crissa
I respectfully disagree. Tesla is one of the most forward thinking companies out there and nothing they have made has happened by accident. They plan much of what they do far in advance. The cancellation tells us their plans did not line up with facts on the ground. I do not want to speculate if that misalignment was due to battery, chip,…shortage or something else because I simply don’t know. Being surprised by circumstances happens regularly to any car company regardless of how much planning they do and thinking Tesla is an exception is wishful thinking. 500 mile range was something Tesla customers expected and Elon knew they did. We know Elon likes to deliver more than people expect, yet the best S is a 400 mile sedan. The cancellation tells us, just because Tesla announced something about CT and because we expect it, it does not mean we will get it. This may sound like stating the obvious but Tesla’s great track record make us forget that it is a possibility. I personally believe the likelihood of us not getting what we have reserved is very low but cancellation tells me it is not zero.

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
I hear ya! It's kind of getting a bit frustrating. We are like 6 mos away from Giga Texas completion/orders (supposedly).

After watching a review of the new F150 Hybrid Powerboost and all the cool features, I was somewhat intrigued.

I'm not going to run out and cancel my single motor CT order because the CT is still $20k cheaper and has the same features and then some, but it is still frustrating. I just want to see some damn cool features and some renewed inspiration. Give me a video presentation/break down of all the cool things the Cybertruck has! Even down to the floor mats and technology! Come on Elon!! Let's get the cat out of the bag!!! We've waited toooooo long!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I don’t think having some sort of pass through is a big deal and most likely is already included. It does not need to be an innovative or genius solution. Tundra has had a back window that operates just like side windows for years.

I doubt this or solar cells are much of a concern for Elon. He said design is complete a while back. Manufacturing is where most of the frustration will be. If 4680 is not ready for prime time to meet the deadline, adjustments will have to be made that may reduce production volume. If the cast has a problem, it could be a major process challenges.

As we saw after a delay for model S they delivered 25 units that were not ready just to meet their second deadline. Many more waiting for update before they can be distributed. Cancellation of plaid Plus tell us things are not always peachy. And model S has been around for many years. CT is a radically different beast that may have challenges Tesla (or any car manufacturer) has never seen before. Just because Tesla does difficult stuff regularly, it does not mean all difficult problems can be solved quickly all the time. We have to expect some delays even if production CT looks exactly like the one revealed.

I know I am being a buzz kill but if I am wrong, we will be pleasantly surprised.
Directly addressing production, Austin is behind schedule. That can’t be made up. Tesla Cybertruck SOP is going to get pushed. Watching drone footage Austin isn’t fully at dry-in yet.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Honestly, I'm not even sure how practical it will be to sleep in the bed
It’s all you need. Everyone will be surprised. It’ll give bivouac a whole new spelling!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
For all that are getting anxious in this waiting game, we are not alone. How would you design a CT version of this Rivian T-shirt?

1624368366478.png
2 weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
It’s all you need. Everyone will be surprised. It’ll give bivouac a whole new spelling!
Good to hear. As I said, never had a truck before so not sure how common this is. Done lots of camping, but it was always in a tent or under the stars. Bit older now, so like the idea of a mattress and A/C plus it's a gentle introduction for the kids. :)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Directly addressing production, Austin is behind schedule. That can’t be made up. Tesla Cybertruck SOP is going to get pushed. Watching drone footage Austin isn’t fully at dry-in yet.
Robots seem to be very excited about getting ready for Y:

Can’t wait to see YouTube videos of folks camping in CT

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I'd notice it. I drive about 14 miles to work and park in the CO sun everyday for the next 8-10 hours. It would make my commuting costs next to nothing.
Until those 3 pm daily t-storms roll in... :)

From one (former) front range resident to another, make sure you understand if those panels are hail safe before choosing that option. You know what I mean....

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Watching drone footage Austin isn’t fully at dry-in yet.
It's not behind from any visual and was never meant to be 'fully' dry-in at this point. But parts of the factory have been dry-in for months. The parts we can see with drones are always the parts that aren't dry, and there are entire lines we can't see.

I said I didn't expect an update until after the Rivian rolled out. And they're running late.

Tesla isn't big on giving out details between launch and ship for any product.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If the window rolled down you could at least shimmy over into the cabin. That would be something at least. I feel like the midgate is too much to hope for, but fingers crossed.
I've considered this as well and I'm really really really hoping for a midgate if the passthrough is an option...or even a bigger window. I'm sure I could make it through but I'm 6'3" and I am not the most flexible person. If you look at the pictures showing the back seat of the Cybertruck, the middle seat headrest would be slightly in the way. If Tesla wants to add a kind of small paththrough but still functional for people, they could add a slightly bigger window and have the rear seats still fold down so i'm not damaging them as I climb in and out all the time.

Not really something I think would be likely. A larger window would make it more likely to damage it with cargo in the back, also if it's just a window that rolls up and down, it'll probably just function for providing HVAC to the bed.
Sponsored