John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you all did not laugh at frunk-gate, we could lay in the cabin with feet in the Frunk. Bollinger is onboard
Sponsored

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Until those 3 pm daily t-storms roll in... :)

From one (former) front range resident to another, make sure you understand if those panels are hail safe before choosing that option. You know what I mean....

Colorado front range resident as well... solar tonneau aside, I am happy that my CT will be able to withstand hail better than my house likely can :)

pagesix1536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Nissan Leaf SL, 2014 Tesla Model S P85DL
Country flag
No one's talking about this idea.... The bottom of the truck is smooth. Tesla could create a compartment under the truck for you to slide long items like 12-footer 2x4's.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
No one's talking about this idea.... The bottom of the truck is smooth. Tesla could create a compartment under the truck for you to slide long items like 12-footer 2x4's.
Actually, I think I did come across a thread here about just that. If I remember correctly, future made some good points? . It was quit hysterical.

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Great idea! Should be a simple enough bracket design provided that there are existing accessible fasteners…

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Great idea! Should be a simple enough bracket design provided that there are existing accessible fasteners…
Yeah, just take out the batteries and add more storage, seems like a great idea.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, just take out the batteries and add more storage, seems like a great idea.
I think they mean to put a box underneath and then instruct the truck to remain at full height and full stiffness while the auxiliary box is on the belly.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Hmmm… would you want a detachable box?

When time to load

1 fill box
2 straddle box at full height
3 kneel to attach
4 Drive at full height, reduced ground clearance with box
5 At destination, kneel to drop box.

tail of box has a gate to slide load or empty when attached.

when not in use, leave box at home. Box may only have 6 inches or so height capacity. Is that enough room to shell out the other leg for the box?

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I can already see the first story of someone not securing it enough, it falls off, sticks into the ground, snaps and pierces the battery.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can already see the first story of someone not securing it enough, it falls off, sticks into the ground, snaps and pierces the battery.
That would require you to drop it and reverse into it at 60mph which I don't think would happen.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That would require you to drop it and reverse into it at 60mph which I don't think would happen.

-Crissa
Not really. it depends where someone would place it. If the front part slips out and sticks into the ground while you are driving, unless it just slips out the back, it could snap right there against the battery pack, then instead of a 2x4, you have more of a pointy stick is aimed at the battery.

That just requires it to be still held in place at the back or at least the back end held up wth the back of the lumber pressed up against whatever is used to hold the lumber or even just being pressed up against the motor, or something else under the truck.

One thing I would never do as a company, is assume that people aren't dumb enough to do something.

Like Elon tweeted that the Cybertruck should be able to float for a while. I estimate that within the first two years, depending who gets their trucks first, someone tests that theory. Can't wait for the youtube videos of floating teslas, tests to see how bullet proof it is, and people throwing metal balls at the windows.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The battery pack is in the middle, protected by a sheet of metal.

You need to be going freeway speed to penetrate it with metal, let alone a piece of wood.

You would have to:
  1. Not secure your load.
  2. Hit a big bump and lift the truck high enough to break the load.
  3. Break in just the right place in the middle.
  4. Hit the load at a high speed.
  5. Have the load, the road surface, and that hot be hard enough to hit and penetrate the most solid skid plate under the cabin.
You're imagining the wood somehow comes out of the box, breaks in a way that wood is the strongest, and then you run into it at freeway speed. All of these would have to happen for your situation to be a problem. You might as well imagine dropping a piece of your load out the back and then backing over it,

No only is that unlikely, you're ignoring the basic premise of a box to hold it all from being muddy or loose.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The battery pack is in the middle, protected by a sheet of metal.

You need to be going freeway speed to penetrate it with metal, let alone a piece of wood.

And you're imagining the wood somehow comes out of the box, breaks in a way that wood is the strongest, and the. You run into it at freeway speed.

No only is that unlikely, you're ignoring the basic premise of a box to hold it all from being muddy or loose.

-Crissa
I was imagining highway speeds. also the idea of a box isn't the only way that this could be done. Also we could forget the stuff inside of the box all together and there is still the possibility of the box itself coming loose and causing damage to the truck.

Also I was just making a joke in my initial response. Personally I don't like the idea for the reason of possible damage, but that's just me.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's a chance for the wheel or raising kit to come off, too, but I don't see you arguing against that.

-Crissa
Sponsored