Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Lots of talk about pass through and frank, bit nothing about a noise canceling cabin.

This inferred from Plaid delivery day discussions. Should be great for those opting for off-road tires, even though it will still be loud for folks outside the cabin :) .
Even with high mileage freeway tires it should allow for a quite cabin.

Of course I am ASSUMING this feature will be available for the CT.
I should do some googling of this, but I'll be lazy and ask here anyway... never had a truck before and I've been wondering about off road tires vs road tires for trucks/4WD vehicles. I assume road tires are going to give better economy, lower noise, better road holding. Of course, off road tires are going to be better off road... duh. But as a kid, I used to go off roading a lot with friends and family and I don't recall them every swapping out tires. They were usually driving things like a Toyota Landcruiser.

I'm trying to picture the practicality of having off road tires sitting in the garage, I'm guessing already mounted on rims ideally and swapping them out before going off road. This might seem less unusual for those living in colder climes but to me who drives on summer tires all year this seems like a PITA.

Is there a compromise? Some kind of all season equivalent for road/off road tires?

These questions sound horribly naïve, but you have to start somewhere.
Sponsored

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I should do some googling of this, but I'll be lazy and ask here anyway... never had a truck before and I've been wondering about off road tires vs road tires for trucks/4WD vehicles. I assume road tires are going to give better economy, lower noise, better road holding. Of course, off road tires are going to be better off road... duh. But as a kid, I used to go off roading a lot with friends and family and I don't recall them every swapping out tires. They were usually driving things like a Toyota Landcruiser.

I'm trying to picture the practicality of having off road tires sitting in the garage, I'm guessing already mounted on rims ideally and swapping them out before going off road. This might seem less unusual for those living in colder climes but to me who drives on summer tires all year this seems like a PITA.

Is there a compromise? Some kind of all season equivalent for road/off road tires?

These questions sound horribly naïve, but you have to start somewhere.
Unless you are going to be seriously offroading (eg, rock crawling or mud bogging) you won't need offroad tires. If you are just going on forest roads and easy to medium jeep trails, regular tires will be fine, particularly if you air down. But yes, true offroad oriented tires will be louder and less efficient on the pavement and will certainly reduce range. I'm very curious to see how the CT will work offroad, the stats look really good. I think it will depend on durability and articulation ability. Ground clearance is going to be great. Instant torque will also be really good. Regen should work well for descents. It will also be dependent on range and proximity to chargers (not a lot in the national forests around here).

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I'm the same as you, but the electricity cost would take you probably 10 or more years before the solar panels would break even. I still want it though
Yup. Probably true. It would also take me at least that long to break even on buying this truck (CT3) vs just another used full size truck that I'd spend ~$35k on. We'll see. Can't wait for the full spec sheet and pricing to be available this fall...hopefully.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Unless you are going to be seriously offroading (eg, rock crawling or mud bogging) you won't need offroad tires. If you are just going on forest roads and easy to medium jeep trails, regular tires will be fine, particularly if you air down. But yes, true offroad oriented tires will be louder and less efficient on the pavement and will certainly reduce range. I'm very curious to see how the CT will work offroad, the stats look really good. I think it will depend on durability and articulation ability. Ground clearance is going to be great. Instant torque will also be really good. Regen should work well for descents. It will also be dependent on range and proximity to chargers (not a lot in the national forests around here).
I agree with this. I've only used AT tires on my trucks for the last 20+ years and I've been fine. Having said that, I do carry chains and I do use them every hunting season on and off for a couple miles or dozen at a time. But, I've never had a need to run MT tires full time. Too inefficient, too loud...which I can only imagine will be more noticeable in a quit EV.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Okay, that helps, thanks. I need to research options in my area, plus do an off-road driving course. I have seen some around.

Yeah, we're all desperate for some more info/specs on the CT, it definitely seems like it should be a capable off roader. As Elon said, it has to kick butt in Baja.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I have only seen “off road“ on YouTube and TV. I still have my doubts that it is real. Everything around me is either pavement or private property. Watching spectacular sunrise while boon-docking look great on YouTube but I have a feeling, after loosing my lunch a few times on those bumpy off-road paths, I would go back to my city slicker roots.

Give me efficient quiet tires or give me death (I hear the sound of shotguns cocking, just kidding)

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think Elon is having a tough time pinning anything exactly, given the issues with circuit boards and the scarcity of them. On top of that, I truly think Elon is concerned about losing interest when he brings the revised and the necessarily limited in options, Cybertruck. So many things he brushed off earlier, are quite possibly haunting him now. I mean, it was leaked that the vault cover would most likely contain the solar PV cells, and serve as the solar he suggested. That is almost crazy to me, because it doesn't help at all if you need to access the truck bed, and it's at a more or less fixed angle, when it does happen to be closed. The best solar will follow the sun. Something loose that can easily be redirected would be much more helpful. But, this isn't best for business, as it adds parts and therefore complexity. That's just the solar. Consider the passthrough, that I think was almost promised, with a/c to the bed. The a/c is relatively easy, but the passthrough I can't even imagine, given the track the tonneau cover requires to open/close. Add in the 5th wheel question, winch options, camper options, etc, etc, etc. It's a pretty long list.
The solar panels on our house are fixed facing east. They are a 4 KW array and we are hooked to the grid. On a hot stretch and we have plenty in Vegas we still only pay the meter fee $14. Point is as long as sun hits those wafers it excites them and generates electricity. If you had a smaller array you may need directionality but if it is for a trickle charge the vault cover will give you some.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wouldn't think the packaging sucks if they don't have some massive frunk space for the Cybertruck. Bigger would be nice and I don't see any reason that it won't be bigger, but I also don't think it's all that important to match the size of the lightning frunk.

The biggest question I would ask myself as an engineer is what is it going to be used for. I don't know if ford really thinks they need space for two sets of golf clubs or if they just wanted the lightning to look like any other f150, my guess is the latter.

I would be interested in what most people would use it for. Personally I plan to use it for groceries, shopping, keeping my jacket if it's going to rain, maybe an umbrella, and probably my gym bag.
I'll be really happy if it turns out bigger than I expect, I'm just not going to really expect a frunk as big as the lightning.
Personally I'd like to use the frunk area to install a starlink dish. Just add a port to the CT hood like SpaceX has been adding to its rockets. Hopefully I can get it a little flatter than what is shown in the picture. But even if not it shouldn't kill the range. I wouldn't expect the dish to take over the whole frunk either. Just want to make sure I don't break the dish when closing the hood on a bunch of stuff in the frunk.

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? SPACEX-STARSHIP-SN15-DISH-STARLINK-1-740x555

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For reference a Model X frunk is 100l, so I'd expect the CT frunk to be 300l at least otherwise their packaging sucks. Note the peripheral systems won't be much bigger than the plaids, but CT has more space (1700l) without the frunk etc to put it.

For ref:
F150 lightning frunk: 400l
VW Golf boot: 380l

Visually the CT has a shorter front hood, but this is only due to the extreme rake of the front windscreen that covers half of the "front bonnet" area. The firewall to the cabin is about half way down the CT dashboard. No point it making it further forward because the front passengers legs can't reach it there anyway. Have a look where the pedals are. A kid could sleep on the dash.... ;-)

1624554841843.png
LOL.

So you have just upped the number of sleeping areas I can use in my CT. 2 adults in the truck bed, 2 little kids in the back seat, one 2 teens in the front seats, and an extra middle schooler on the dash. But the dash does have a bit of a slant to it so if that kid has any motion during the night they are going to fall right off the dash.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I recall writing, months ago, that with an expected delivery date around the end of this year, Tesla would necessarily have to get prototypes out on the road for testing around 6 months before (this guess was based purely on how Tesla did it for the Model Y rollout). Well, I don't wear a hat but if I did I'd have to eat it because we are past the 6 month mark and no one has seen any prototypes gallavanting around the country in any capacity. I had 'hoped' for a list of features and specs when Elon said he would produce an update, but in fact Tesla never releases a full set of features and specs. One day the manuals will suddenly appear and people will begin the process of figuring out what the features and specs are from those. Very sad but that is just the way the company works. Another data point I have been looking for is the delivery of the first 8K-ton gigapress because we know from several gigapresses that it takes about 2 months to bring them up from the time of delivery, and of course Tesla needs at least 2 of them, one for the front and one for the rear assemblies. So, 4 months minimum to any production. That has no bearing on prototypes of course; Tesla could build prototypes in any number of ways and still gain good data. The whole thing is frustrating for all of us. I feel like pulling my hair out but that is not a great solution to the anxiety, just a symptom.
Before you eat that non-existent hat...

There was a rumor a short while ago about some CTs being hauled up to a testing ground in Alaska. No pictures provided but if you were needing some sightings that might be it. The thing is though, until the large gigapress gets installed in the Austin plant I'm not sure a true test bed CT could be produced that would closely match the performance of a shipping CT. Last I checked the gigapress wasn't installed yet and certainly not producing anything.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Actually, I think I did come across a thread here about just that. If I remember correctly, future made some good points? . It was quit hysterical.
I've been looking for that older thread. Can't seem to find it anymore. Wish the search capability here worked better. Or maybe someone is just dropping old threads periodically. Who knows.

As a concept, I do find the under-body hauling idea to be interesting. But as others have pointed out there are a number of problems with it. That said though, I can totally see someone creating a harness to do this kind of hauling long materials. When someone does, I want pictures/video. Plus some user testimonials.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
LOL.

So you have just upped the number of sleeping areas I can use in my CT. 2 adults in the truck bed, 2 little kids in the back seat, one 2 teens in the front seats, and an extra middle schooler on the dash. But the dash does have a bit of a slant to it so if that kid has any motion during the night they are going to fall right off the dash.
Thats why they put the screen there to stop sleeping kids falling off! ;)

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was only trying to demonstrate how much of the front hood space of the CT was covered by the sloping front windscreen. Theres not much height there under the windscreen though.

And depending on the camper roof you use you could have more than 2 people in the bed area.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
LOL.

Sounds like it could work for you but others should pick the kid that sleep under the windshield wisely otherwise they may have a permanent fixture in their CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Any updates? 1625023445585

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
The solar panels on our house are fixed facing east. They are a 4 KW array and we are hooked to the grid. On a hot stretch and we have plenty in Vegas we still only pay the meter fee $14. Point is as long as sun hits those wafers it excites them and generates electricity. If you had a smaller array you may need directionality but if it is for a trickle charge the vault cover will give you some.
I understand that monocrystalline PV cells are fine without a direct hit from the sun, in fact it even does well in partial overcast; and polycrystalline requires a direct hit from clear sun or the effectiveness of the charge will suffer. Let's hope it's the monocrystalline PV cells they use for the Cybertruck's vault. peace
Sponsored