Are you using a Residential-rated receptacle Then an EV Industrial Rated receptacle to charge?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have never heard of that kind of dryer.....what is it and how does it work
It uses a heat pump to condense the water humidity in the air which results in super dry but only slightly warm air to pass over the clothes to dry them. The effect is the air has better capacity to absorb moisture from the clothes, and the clothes are not heated to evaporate moisture, meaning an energy saving from the lack of high temperature heating, and clothes fibers that aren't damaged from the heat, which in turn is what clogs your dryer air filter and is essentially "deconstructing" your clothing. It also connects to and gets rid of the water via your drain, meaning there is no high humidity in closed space cellars or wash rooms, that also promotes mold etc growth and requires adequate or forced ventilation.

Obviously, consuming less power also means it can more easily be run on off-grid solar, or allow more capacity for EV charging in a household.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I saw that video and it was intended to scare the S#$T out of people and I found it scary. We have 2 Tesla wall connectors for our Model 3 and Model Y/Cybertruck. Both were installed by an electrician that has done a lot of this kind of thing. Both are on a separate panel from our home, with each having a 60-amp breaker. There is nothing special about the breakers and they are no knife type disconnects. I mention all of this because a couple months ago we had an event where we were charging both of the cars and running the washing machine all at the same time and, somehow, there was a disconnect from the grid and our generator kicked in. But there was still service from the grid. I checked all of the breakers and everything was fine. I called the utility and they sent out someone to look at it and we found that my transfer switch was stuck open. We turned off the generator, closed the switch, and all was back to normal, but I suspect that we pushed the system too hard. Long story short, I agree with the video that these high-load BEV residential charging scenarios have not been (and need to be) addressed. For our purposes, we are now only charging one vehicle at a time and after the wife has stopped doing anything with appliances. No new events since then.
It sounds like you just need a better automatic transfer switch. With good equipment and good system design, there would be nothing to worry about. It sounds like you are over-looking a potential problem by trying to manually reduce usage to hide a problem with the system.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It circulates slightly warm air over the tumbling clothes and rather than exhaust the warm, humid air, it passes it over a chilled condensor which removes the moisture from the air and continues to circulate the same air over the clothes. The water condensed from the air is typically directed into a drain.
It's not, as far as I know, actually cheaper to run, tho. I have two. (And hate that the new one does not run in low-heat mode like the old ones. It's like the made it stupider when they made it 'smart').

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It uses a heat pump to condense the water humidity in the air which results in super dry but only slightly warm air to pass over the clothes to dry them. The effect is the air has better capacity to absorb moisture from the clothes, and the clothes are not heated to evaporate moisture, meaning an energy saving from the lack of high temperature heating, and clothes fibers that aren't damaged from the heat, which in turn is what clogs your dryer air filter and is essentially "deconstructing" your clothing. It also connects to and gets rid of the water via your drain, meaning there is no high humidity in closed space cellars or wash rooms, that also promotes mold etc growth and requires adequate or forced ventilation.

Obviously, consuming less power also means it can more easily be run on off-grid solar, or allow more capacity for EV charging in a household.
thank you

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It circulates slightly warm air over the tumbling clothes and rather than exhaust the warm, humid air, it passes it over a chilled condensor which removes the moisture from the air and continues to circulate the same air over the clothes. The water condensed from the air is typically directed into a drain.
thanks....who makes that type of dryer

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
thanks....who makes that type of dryer
Most major appliance makers have condensing dryers. They are more sophisticated than traditional dryers so I would be wary about shopping in the lower price ranges. A better option is to choose the base model of a higher end brand like Miele or Bosch. European companies have more experience with these because they have been doing them longer.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Most major appliance makers have condensing dryers. They are more sophisticated than traditional dryers so I would be wary about shopping in the lower price ranges. A better option is to choose the base model of a higher end brand like Miele or Bosch. European companies have more experience with these because they have been doing them longer.
Europeans are far more conscious of efficiency. Sucking massive amounts of heated interior air and blowing it outside is pretty wasteful If there are alternatives.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Europe has insane electric rates, so that makes sense. Although I’d rather not waste out cooled indoor air, the math on a payback is much lower at 5.1 cents per kW.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Europe has insane electric rates, so that makes sense. Although I’d rather not waste out cooled indoor air, the math on a payback is much lower at 5.1 cents per kW.
Our power rates are cheap too, but I’d still like to have efficient appliances and wouldn’t mind paying more for them. You buy a drier once and keep it for 10+ years, the cost per load of the purchase spread over that much use is trivial. But I don’t need to change out appliances right now.

I have a weird alternate reason for wanting one. Putting holes through our exterior wall is difficult and paying more for a drier to gain a utilities hole will probably be worth it. Particularly when I can save that money back in reduced electric bills.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would say Asian brands - ones with settings for silks and synthetics - but like my new LG they dumbed it down for the US market, So disappointing compared to my two previous machines.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
We’re going on 15 years on a used drier that I bought for $20. I can’t make an $800 purchase make sense. Also, working from home reduces laundry a lot.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We’re going on 15 years on a used drier that I bought for $20. I can’t make an $800 purchase make sense. Also, working from home reduces laundry a lot.
That only works if you can find someone selling an $800 drier for $20.

Not saying it doesn't happen; our second machine we bought for $50 plus $50 parts I installed. A replacement is $800 new.

-Crissa
Sponsored