Australian scientists to power Tesla on 15,000-km trip with printed solar panels

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The wind would be an issue.. It will be pegged down, but it would need a lot of pegs and will be a bother setting up and packing away.

However, seems perfect addition for future RV awnings.

Maybe can also be glued onto existing awnings. Just need a wider box.
Doesn't seem too thick, the extra protrusion of the box would probably still keep existing caravans within legal widths.

tcmccormick

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hmm so each of those printed (not 3D printed btw) 18m long panels makes around 1.2kWh per day to achieve that 180km range per day? Or is the equivalent of a 5kW array on a sunny day.

Sorry, takes up to much space for that, and work out to be more expensive than off the shelf PV panels, so why do it?
Science?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Misterbee

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y + T@g teardrop, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Film Editor
Country flag
too bad Tesla doesnt let u charge while driving.

Also I would REALLY like to know more about this printed panel
If what evsolarkits.com says is correct, apparently you will be able to soon.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
So you think its even worse than 15W sqm?
I have not been able to find info on the efficiency of the cells used in this project but there are some thin lightweight flexible cells that achieve higher than 21% efficiency.

-------------

21.4% record efficiency for flexible solar cells
A new efficiency record of 21.4% for flexible CIGS solar cell on polymer film has been achieved by scientists at Empa. Solar cells of this type are especially suited for applications on roofs, transport vehicles or mobile devices.
Sep 7, 2021
By RAINER KLOSE
https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/cigs-efficiency-record-2021

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I have not been able to find info on the efficiency of the cells used in this project but there are some thin lightweight flexible cells that achieve higher than 21% efficiency.

-------------

21.4% record efficiency for flexible solar cells
A new efficiency record of 21.4% for flexible CIGS solar cell on polymer film has been achieved by scientists at Empa. Solar cells of this type are especially suited for applications on roofs, transport vehicles or mobile devices.
Sep 7, 2021
By RAINER KLOSE
https://www.empa.ch/web/s604/cigs-efficiency-record-2021
So from what I can tell these are proprietary made in Australia solar cells, that are manufactured using some sort of photosensitive dye that can be printed using a normal large format office printer. (Not a 3D printer).

Typically, these types of electro-photochemical, rather than "flexible" photovoltaic cells have a low efficiency. A quick google came up with this, where it says they have one fifth of the efficiency of normal PV, which would be around 30W sqm.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/printed-solar-cells-mb1481/

Which is in the ballpark of my calculations based on the energy required to drive a M3 15,000km in 84 days. Either way not that great yet. They also only last a few years and will only be offered on a subscription basis.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So from what I can tell these are proprietary made in Australia solar cells, that are manufactured using some sort of photosensitive dye that can be printed using a normal large format office printer. (Not a 3D printer).
Also, since they are made in Austrailia, they are designed to harvest sunlight will opposite spin. Wouldn’t work up here regardless.
Sponsored