Benefit to unpainted CT. I don’t like paint on trucks. I use Linex, no paint no scratches.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm waiting for the first CT owner to report a stain !

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
The Cybertruck isn't supposed to be a pretty boy's truck.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
What do you mean "no paint"? Paint is simply a generic word describing a protective coating. Line-X is a polyurethane paint and the fact that it has abrasion resistant solids and is designed to be applied thicker than most paints does not change that fact. Line-X requires a polyureathane primer before being applied to stainless steel too. All of this will add well over 100 lbs. to a Cybertruck and will make it more damage prone and harder to repair. The cold-rolled 3mm thick stainless steel will be more damage resistant than Line-X.

Line-X is tougher than standard automotive paint, but it is still paint. I'm just wondering what you get for your $1000's of dollars besides a different look and over 100 lbs. of dead weight that reduces range and payload capacity. The whole beauty of the 3mm thick cold-rolled stainless steel is that it avoids the need for paint. Adding paint to such a breakthrough vehicle is just plain dumb.

OP
OP

packman

First Name
packman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck on order. F150
Occupation
therapist
Country flag
HaulingAss, you missed my point. The fact that the Cybertruck is bare metal is pure genius. I bought my F150 new in 2012 and if anything hit the paint it chipped. I could scape it with my fingernail. I know the owner of my local Linex shop so I covered the bottom half, the roof, mirrors and running boards. This was years ago and it’s held up perfectly. Weight was not an issue because I run Fab Four bumpers front and rear and have a custom 1/4 inch aluminum skid plate under the chassis. These additions already added 300 pounds. I have always felt that manufactures should offer trucks with a working man’s / off road option with an easy to touch up flat black, desert tan or camouflage paint. I’m very fussy about my possessions and with the Linex I couldn’t wax it even if I wanted to, just brush it off once a week, that’s it. That’s one reason I want the Cybertruck, no paint to worry about, just stainless steel. Perfect for a fussy owner.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
HaulingAss, you missed my point. The fact that the Cybertruck is bare metal is pure genius. I bought my F150 new in 2012 and if anything hit the paint it chipped. I could scape it with my fingernail. I know the owner of my local Linex shop so I covered the bottom half, the roof, mirrors and running boards. This was years ago and it’s held up perfectly. Weight was not an issue because I run Fab Four bumpers front and rear and have a custom 1/4 inch aluminum skid plate under the chassis. These additions already added 300 pounds. I have always felt that manufactures should offer trucks with a working man’s / off road option with an easy to touch up flat black, desert tan or camouflage paint. I’m very fussy about my possessions and with the Linex I couldn’t wax it even if I wanted to, just brush it off once a week, that’s it.
OK, so you were saying Cybertruck doesn't benefit from Line-X? If so I agree.
But I don't understand your contention that your current truck is so overweight already (with it's 1/4" skid plate and heavy bumpers) that adding more weight doesn't negatively impact the capabilities of the truck further.

The last I checked, weight was additive. For every hundred pounds added, subtract one hundred pounds of payload capacity and reduce performance and efficiency by an amount determined by the amount of added weight.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
You expanded on what I started in the late '80s.....

Somewhere in here I posted a picture of a recent model year 'Yota completely sprayed in line-X. Looked surprisingly tough!

Tesla Cybertruck Benefit to unpainted CT. I don’t like paint on trucks. I use Linex, no paint no scratches. ToyTruck1

OP
OP

packman

First Name
packman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck on order. F150
Occupation
therapist
Country flag
Yes, we are on the same page. Southern California is the land of inefficient vehicles. All kinds of super expensive hyper cars corvettes, lambos, etc. Then there are the lifted trucks. It’s nothing for someone to spend 90K on an F350 and then spend a fortune on the suspension, wheels, monster tires, paint etc. We also have so many fabrication shops, engine builders, custom vehicle builders. The off road, desert vehicles are a huge thing out here, I won’t even get into the Harley Davidson chopper community. Teslas all over the place. Whatever you want, if you have the money, some shop will build it for you. I fully expect to see the Cybertrucks rolling around once production starts and trust me, these guys out here will figure out how to lift them and turn them into monster trucks.