Warbird

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S 75
Country flag
The ends may be all aluminum castings that do not require paint. But as we can clearly see from the recent pictures, there is clearly a body in white. I for one never could imagine an exoskeleton. Anyway, a body in white consists of various metals, aluminum and steel reinforcements bonded together in many ways. Now correct me if im wrong but any body in white needs to be coated or painted to prevent rust? So does that not mean that the CT assembly process will include at least one painting step, thus a paint shop is unavoidable?
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
The ends may be all aluminum castings that do not require paint. But as we can clearly see from the recent pictures, there is clearly a body in white. I for one never could imagine an exoskeleton. Anyway, a body in white consists of various metals, aluminum and steel reinforcements bonded together in many ways. Now correct me if im wrong but any body in white needs to be coated or painted to prevent rust? So does that not mean that the CT assembly process will include at least one painting step, thus a paint shop is unavoidable?
I think a paint shop for never/rarely seen parts is WAY different than the type and cost of a paint shop of the exterior of a vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost and effort was a 50:1 difference.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, colored and enameled exteriors have to be delicately sprayed and laid in layers of coatings to be baked and dried between each.

Part rust corrosion just needs to be dipped and tossed into the next bin and baked or dip-set. Nothing sprayed, no extra layers, no worry about drips or ripples.

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Really the only parts not seemingly covered and thus potentially needing paint over the corrosion protection would be the pillars and the interior body around the door panels. in recent images it looks like they are trying to get them to match the stainless on the doors and i believe the b pillar is black. There will be some painting step but since its concealed and non aesthetic it will be a very simple paint step.

OP
OP
Warbird

Warbird

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S 75
Country flag
Really the only parts not seemingly covered and thus potentially needing paint over the corrosion protection would be the pillars and the interior body around the door panels. in recent images it looks like they are trying to get them to match the stainless on the doors and i believe the b pillar is black. There will be some painting step but since its concealed and non aesthetic it will be a very simple paint step.
Ok fine. So the cost of a protective paint process for only the body in white is much lower, less calibration required, excetera. I get that. But I'm referencing Jeff Lutz's (our trusty supply expert) comment that CT is going to be much cheaper to produce because "there will be no paint shop, no permitting required, etc." And I am saying that even though the painting process may only involve "a very simple paint shop", it is still a vat of volatile chemicals and machinery that will require permitting and all that goes along with it. That is not "no paint shop". Whether its one half or a quarter of the cost, there will be a significant non-zero cost for that step . Thats my only point.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Ok fine. So the cost of a protective paint process for only the body in white is much lower, less calibration required, excetera. I get that. But I'm referencing Jeff Lutz's (our trusty supply expert) comment that CT is going to be much cheaper to produce because "there will be no paint shop, no permitting required, etc." And I am saying that even though the painting process may only involve "a very simple paint shop", it is still a vat of volatile chemicals and machinery that will require permitting and all that goes along with it. That is not "no paint shop". Whether its one half or a quarter of the cost, there will be a significant non-zero cost for that step . Thats my only point.
There is definitely a protective coating process. Whether that coating is the finish product on the exposed pillars and around the door is the final question. They could be wrapping all that in plastic. i hope they don't because i dislike plastic on vehicles. They will be painting a lot of other products on site so i dont think the permitting or regulator process is where the cost is. Its the machinery, material and extra steps, time and QA in production. The CT definitely greatly reduces and likely eliminates actual finish painting and a paint shop. The paint shop would be required for an aesthetic and high quality visible finish. The CT will not have that.

OP
OP
Warbird

Warbird

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S 75
Country flag
There is definitely a protective coating process. Whether that coating is the finish product on the exposed pillars and around the door is the final question. They could be wrapping all that in plastic. i hope they don't because i dislike plastic on vehicles. They will be painting a lot of other products on site so i dont think the permitting or regulator process is where the cost is. Its the machinery, material and extra steps, time and QA in production. The CT definitely greatly reduces and likely eliminates actual finish painting and a paint shop. The paint shop would be required for an aesthetic and high quality visible finish. The CT will not have that.
If you spot weld steel its got to be coated with something or it will rust. Call it what we will that "coating" process for the body in white will have a cost. I agree one that is much less than a finish paint job. I do not think wrapping the exposed metal is enough, #1 water would be trapped by the wrap (you wrap a painted part, not bare metal), and #2 the non-exposed parts (all surfaces inside and out) need to be coated as well. To me it seems like dipping would be the most cost effective. But knowing Elon he will figure out the least expensive way to do it. How about an arny of CyberBots armed with cans of Rust-O-Lium. :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dipping doesn't require the level of air controls, filtering, and emissions permitting as spraying does.

-Crissa

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
There is a world of difference between corrosion protection dips and a "paint shop" though.

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
Just run online that sucker and sick the panels in while the lining is still tacky. It’ll never squeeze or rattle, in the words of T. S., “like, ever”

zuowen

First Name
Zhang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruk, ModelY
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So, the conclusion is: Does CT has painting on body-in-white?
confused.

zuowen

First Name
Zhang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruk, ModelY
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes. Although apparently the technical term for internal parts is 'body in black'.

🤷🏼‍♀️

-Crissa
The answer is YES, CT has painting shop, and the guys use "body in black" instead of "body in white" on CT.
Does this answer come from our analysis via pictures?
Or the answer comes from measurement on CT body frame?
As an engineer, i have to figure it out.:p

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The answer is YES, CT has painting shop, and the guys use "body in black" instead of "body in white" on CT.
Does this answer come from our analysis via pictures?
Or the answer comes from measurement on CT body frame?
As an engineer, i have to figure it out.:p
It came from some YouTube engineers.

And the pictures? 'Cause we can see the steel pieces are painted grey.

-Crissa
Sponsored