truck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X 2017 100D LR/S 2015 P85D/Cyberbeast
Country flag
I was honestly thinking that the truck was going to drop next year, but Elon blessed us just in time for Christmas. That means I have to scramble to prep for it though. I don’t have any room in my garage, so I’ll have to leave my truck outside. I don’t want it to get damaged though, and I don’t want to be getting out of the car to open the gate. Here’s the details: (although I’m fine with general suggestions as they’ll give me a picture of what I should be looking for)

My gate is pretty heavy as we have a huge screen on it (kids like to mess with my dogs). It’s a long gate that has a single hinge, like a very long door. Don’t know if this matters but the gate opens towards the outside and not inside my backyard. Looking for homelink or myq and HomeKit (Apple smart home) compatibility (can be modded) although HomeKit isn’t a requirement. It’s a metal gate and I want to make sure nobody can break in if they shove the gate (I want it to require as much (preferably more) effort as breaking down a door/window). Also need something that can handle Texas weather (extreme heat and freezing). Also prefer for it to be able to be installed without professional help (my dad will be installing alongside me)

For the car canopy, I’m fine with basically anything. I just want it to be rugged, bolted into the ground, not too tall, and preferably not require professional installation.

I’ll try to get dimensions of my stuff tmrw, as I’m also using this to just jot down my list of requirements. Feel free to drop any brands if you can’t think of anything specific.
Sponsored

Ckra2048

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck TriMotor
Country flag
I have had a Ghost Controls brand opener on my driveway gate for about 4 years with no issues. they have a lock latch called the "Zombie Lock" that latches the gate at the end of it's closing cycle, and unlatches with opening. I have been very happy with the system. As long as your gate is free-swinging then it should be a pretty straightforward DIY install. It runs off of batteries that are either charged by solar or being plugged in with low-voltage wire. It can be set up to either be push to open (which sounds like your case, gate swings out) or pull to open. I have a smart relay attached to mine that then incorporates into my Hubitat smart hub so I can set up automations and control it from my phone.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I have had a Ghost Controls brand opener on my driveway gate for about 4 years with no issues. they have a lock latch called the "Zombie Lock" that latches the gate at the end of it's closing cycle, and unlatches with opening. I have been very happy with the system. As long as your gate is free-swinging then it should be a pretty straightforward DIY install. It runs off of batteries that are either charged by solar or being plugged in with low-voltage wire. It can be set up to either be push to open (which sounds like your case, gate swings out) or pull to open. I have a smart relay attached to mine that then incorporates into my Hubitat smart hub so I can set up automations and control it from my phone.
Nice suggestion.
https://ghostcontrols.com/

Tesla Cybertruck Best Car Canopy and Gate Opener? Wot4Oa

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
Sounds like you need a used shipping container to park the CT in..

Rick

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
I was honestly thinking that the truck was going to drop next year, but Elon blessed us just in time for Christmas. That means I have to scramble to prep for it though. I don’t have any room in my garage, so I’ll have to leave my truck outside. I don’t want it to get damaged though, and I don’t want to be getting out of the car to open the gate. Here’s the details: (although I’m fine with general suggestions as they’ll give me a picture of what I should be looking for)

My gate is pretty heavy as we have a huge screen on it (kids like to mess with my dogs). It’s a long gate that has a single hinge, like a very long door. Don’t know if this matters but the gate opens towards the outside and not inside my backyard. Looking for homelink or myq and HomeKit (Apple smart home) compatibility (can be modded) although HomeKit isn’t a requirement. It’s a metal gate and I want to make sure nobody can break in if they shove the gate (I want it to require as much (preferably more) effort as breaking down a door/window). Also need something that can handle Texas weather (extreme heat and freezing). Also prefer for it to be able to be installed without professional help (my dad will be installing alongside me)

For the car canopy, I’m fine with basically anything. I just want it to be rugged, bolted into the ground, not too tall, and preferably not require professional installation.

I’ll try to get dimensions of my stuff tmrw, as I’m also using this to just jot down my list of requirements. Feel free to drop any brands if you can’t think of anything specific.
I would change to a gate that rolls to the side.(like a sliding or pocket door).

OP
OP
truck

truck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would change to a gate that rolls to the side.(like a sliding or pocket door).
I can't; there's not enough room. I'd upload a photo, but the site refuses to upload it.

OP
OP
truck

truck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My gate has a built-in lock. We used to have an old gate opener from Mighty Mule (we sold it after we sold our old tundra), but one thing that I always hated was the fact that I had to unlock/lock the gate to secure it manually, so I just decided to leave it unlocked during the day (big security risk). Will the Zombie Lock be able to replace the whole locking system, as it's really rusted and looks like it's going to break off soon?

CyberTruck46290

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Liftmaster makes swing gate openers that work with a lock that integrates with them.

Ckra2048

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck TriMotor
Country flag
My gate has a built-in lock. We used to have an old gate opener from Mighty Mule (we sold it after we sold our old tundra), but one thing that I always hated was the fact that I had to unlock/lock the gate to secure it manually, so I just decided to leave it unlocked during the day (big security risk). Will the Zombie Lock be able to replace the whole locking system, as it's really rusted and looks like it's going to break off soon?
Yes, Assuming that you are able to mount both the lock, and the receiver on the gate as well as the pole. Look up some youtube videos on how it works and see if it will work in your scenario.

OP
OP
truck

truck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I decided to get a ghost controls opener + various accessories in the photos. I’ll try to install it over the weekend.
Tesla Cybertruck Best Car Canopy and Gate Opener? IMG_8856

Tesla Cybertruck Best Car Canopy and Gate Opener? IMG_8857

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I decided to get a ghost controls opener + various accessories in the photos. I’ll try to install it over the weekend.
IMG_8856.jpeg

IMG_8857.jpeg
Sounds good let us know how it works out.
Sponsored