But How...?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
The tonneau could roll to the top of the bed. Not sure how large the roll is, but position it to minimize blockage of the rear window, and of course minimize the projection into the area fo be used for passthrough. peace
Sponsored

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
When Motortrend got a sneek peak of CT before the reveal, they indicated that there was a cylinder underneath the bed (similar to where the pass through is of a Rivian R1T) where the value pulled and rolled into.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
During rides the driver says it rolls up under the back seat.... I don't believe he meant literally rolls up into a roll or literally under the seat.
My personal favorite totally unsupported belief is that it rolls as a flat panel under the bed remaining a flat panel. By my guess distances it appears to me that sufficient room exists to pull the cover to the point of the under bed storage.... this would mean the trailing edge stops just below the rear window, this is important to prevent foreign object intrusion into the gap between the bed head and the cab. When the cover is closed a cover would need to be held in the gap.
Additionally a flat configuration allows a simple cable loop to pull open and PULL close the cover with the cable running from the rear of the cover down through the bed wall just inside the tailgate. The pull open cable is of course attached to the front of the cover and it's path is the cover track.
The rapid smooth operation of the cover sure makes it look like the cover is not pushed close, but Tesla engineers are amazing and they could do something amazing.
Before you say but that means the bottom of the bed is not attached to the frame! The frame is at the sides of the bed!

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Here's the article - https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

The cylinder is just over 12" in diameter. Keep in mind this is for the prototype so the production version could differ.
Its a good article... do you think the author actually saw the tube? I don't. He makes it sound like Tesla let him look under the vehicle, perhaps measure.... also that they said a double stack battery.... I cannot imagine that Tesla would do that for an automotive journal... Also if you got to look at such intimate details would you ignore the suspension?

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its a good article... do you think the author actually saw the tube? I don't. He makes it sound like Tesla let him look under the vehicle, perhaps measure.... also that they said a double stack battery.... I cannot imagine that Tesla would do that for an automotive journal... Also if you got to look at such intimate details would you ignore the suspension?

Yeah, MT did a whole series of articles on CT that has nice little bits of info here and there.

At the moment, I have no reason to doubt the author. If I remember from the written article in MT (December 2019 or January 2020 issue??) they saw the running prototype while it was on a lift. Their visit might have coincided with the 2-week build window which is how they managed to see details like the vault cylinder.

I don't think the double-stacked battery is anything worth keeping secret. It makes sense given space constraints and stacking battery packs would also be used in the Tesla Semi.

I have to look for my copy of the magazine but the author said that while CT was on a lift in the Design Studio, he did comment how the wheels were at full suspension travel when they saw it. Qualitatively he did say the length looked similar to that of a Raptor.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
During rides the driver says it rolls up under the back seat.... I don't believe he meant literally rolls up into a roll or literally under the seat.
My personal favorite totally unsupported belief is that it rolls as a flat panel under the bed remaining a flat panel. By my guess distances it appears to me that sufficient room exists to pull the cover to the point of the under bed storage.... this would mean the trailing edge stops just below the rear window, this is important to prevent foreign object intrusion into the gap between the bed head and the cab. When the cover is closed a cover would need to be held in the gap.
Additionally a flat configuration allows a simple cable loop to pull open and PULL close the cover with the cable running from the rear of the cover down through the bed wall just inside the tailgate. The pull open cable is of course attached to the front of the cover and it's path is the cover track.
The rapid smooth operation of the cover sure makes it look like the cover is not pushed close, but Tesla engineers are amazing and they could do something amazing.
Before you say but that means the bottom of the bed is not attached to the frame! The frame is at the sides of the bed!
One design consideration may be having the track and moving parts serviceable by mobile tech. If it gets stuck between the bed and the battery pack housing when open, it may be more difficult to get to. But if it is rolled in a Rivian setup, it would be more accessible.

Not that any of this matters since design is complete.

I am thinking, why else the design took so long if they were not working on the pass through problem?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
One design consideration may be having the track and moving parts serviceable by mobile tech. If it gets stuck between the bed and the battery pack housing when open, it may be more difficult to get to. But if it is rolled in a Rivian setup, it would be more accessible.

Not that any of this matters since design is complete.

I am thinking, why else the design took so long if they were not working on the pass through problem?
Yes I hope the mid gate can be done! It would be so nice for camping! Darn it Elon, a month or so does not mean a month or 6!

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
I dunno, I'm no expert, but I would guess any large cylinder under the truck is an air tank for the mac daddy air-suspension coming on the CT. I think Sandy Munroe mentioned it during the Y teardown video, referring to it as a can, and pointing to where it would likely be on the CT.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, we don't know what the design is, and it's always worth thinking about how and why something was chosen.

-Crissa
I used to think for the sake of thinking. Then I thought because they payed me to. Now I just flip a coin because thinking just hurts.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
It’s not under the rear seat, no. It’s under the front of the bed.
There is also a video of the test rides where one of the passengers ask where does the cover go and the driver replies its right there behind you...Meaning behind the seat he was sitting in. The the video kinda flashes a quick view of the referenced area. The cover was on the floor behind the seat, not under the floor. (the passenger was in the back seat)

Of course this was the prototype things could change.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Directly behind the back seat:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One thing about a pass through...

It would necessitate that there be open seams in the bed where the passage folds. So if you were to carry a load of sand for instance it would end up getting all up in those seams. Which would then necessitate a way to clean that out.

I'm not intending to carry a load of sand though. If I were, I would add some liner of some sort to keep the sand out of those seams. But from an engineering perspective, this is one of the little details that would have to be thought out and planned for.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What do you guys think are the chances pass through is standard or an option only on Tri-motor?

I really want it bad but I doubt that I will fork over the additional $20K for it.
Sponsored