Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y traded in for Foundation Series Cybertruck
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So recently I had to discuss a possibility of returning my cybertruck due to issues in my condo with parking the truck, and several other issues. I ended up going to the local tesla dealership to inquire and was told the truck cannot be accepted back under any circumstances until a year after delivery date. While the contract states

"For Cybertruck Only You understand and acknowledge that the Cybertruck will first be released in limited quantity. You agree that you will not sell or otherwise attempt to sell the Vehicle within the first year following your Vehicle’s delivery date. Not withstanding the foregoing, if you must sell the Vehicle within the first year following its delivery date for any unforeseen reason, and Tesla agrees that your reason warrants an exception to its no reseller policy, you agree to notify Tesla in writing and give Tesla reasonable time to purchase the Vehicle from you at its sole discretion and at the purchase price listed on your Final Price Sheet less $0.25/mile driven, reasonable wear and tear, and the cost to repair the Vehicle to Tesla’s Used Vehicle Cosmetic and Mechanical Standards. If Tesla declines to purchase your Vehicle, you may then resell your Vehicle to a third party only after receiving written consent from Tesla. You agree that in the event you breach this provision, or Tesla has reasonable belief that you are about to breach this provision, Tesla may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of title of the Vehicle or demand liquidated damages from you in the amount of $50,000 or the value received as consideration for the sale or transfer, whichever is greater. Tesla may also refuse to sell you any future vehicles."

I wasn't even given an option to provide the Trade-In team an in writing response to dispute before being pushed away. I was stunned.
I had went through the $250 process to attempt to secure a Model X and attempt with the Trade In Team to see the value on the truck prior to making a decision. I wanted to see If there was any loss associated if any if I made the swap due to these unforeseen reasons with Cybertruck and the app Tesla Trade In Team stated, No trade in can occur. Like swapping one Tesla for another. really? why?

Moral of the Story: I tend to get the cybertruck wrapped, tint the windows, and find a better parking spot for the truck.

Second Moral: Watch out buyers! If you decide at all to possibly swap the Tesla for another one or realize the car isn't for you for odd reasons: ( job loss, death in family, etc. ) within the first year the contract rules stated above are falsely represented. You cannot submit in writing to Tesla any correspondence, to evaluate your claim. It's sad this section exists, since YOU OWN the ASSET, .... OR DO YOU? with strings attached. Just remember when you buy your truck you're a prisoner on probation with Tesla for 1 yr. This is truly SAD on Tesla's part and really wrecks the overall culture imo.

PS - Does anyone know when were getting Tesla Vision, Park Assist, FSD, AutoSteer, or any of the other 20k worth of software updates? I still don't even have my hubcaps from the original pickup. ugh lol ...
Sponsored

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
So recently I had to discuss a possibility of returning my cybertruck due to issues in my condo with parking the truck, and several other issues. I ended up going to the local tesla dealership to inquire and was told the truck cannot be accepted back under any circumstances until a year after delivery date. While the contract states

"For Cybertruck Only You understand and acknowledge that the Cybertruck will first be released in limited quantity. You agree that you will not sell or otherwise attempt to sell the Vehicle within the first year following your Vehicle’s delivery date. Not withstanding the foregoing, if you must sell the Vehicle within the first year following its delivery date for any unforeseen reason, and Tesla agrees that your reason warrants an exception to its no reseller policy, you agree to notify Tesla in writing and give Tesla reasonable time to purchase the Vehicle from you at its sole discretion and at the purchase price listed on your Final Price Sheet less $0.25/mile driven, reasonable wear and tear, and the cost to repair the Vehicle to Tesla’s Used Vehicle Cosmetic and Mechanical Standards. If Tesla declines to purchase your Vehicle, you may then resell your Vehicle to a third party only after receiving written consent from Tesla. You agree that in the event you breach this provision, or Tesla has reasonable belief that you are about to breach this provision, Tesla may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of title of the Vehicle or demand liquidated damages from you in the amount of $50,000 or the value received as consideration for the sale or transfer, whichever is greater. Tesla may also refuse to sell you any future vehicles."

I wasn't even given an option to provide the Trade-In team an in writing response to dispute before being pushed away. I was stunned.
I had went through the $250 process to attempt to secure a Model X and attempt with the Trade In Team to see the value on the truck prior to making a decision. I wanted to see If there was any loss associated if any if I made the swap due to these unforeseen reasons with Cybertruck and the app Tesla Trade In Team stated, No trade in can occur. Like swapping one Tesla for another. really? why?

Moral of the Story: I tend to get the cybertruck wrapped, tint the windows, and find a better parking spot for the truck.

Second Moral: Watch out buyers! If you decide at all to possibly swap the Tesla for another one or realize the car isn't for you for odd reasons: ( job loss, death in family, etc. ) within the first year the contract rules stated above are falsely represented. You cannot submit in writing to Tesla any correspondence, to evaluate your claim. It's sad this section exists, since YOU OWN the ASSET, .... OR DO YOU? with strings attached. Just remember when you buy your truck you're a prisoner on probation with Tesla for 1 yr. This is truly SAD on Tesla's part and really wrecks the overall culture imo.

PS - Does anyone know when were getting Tesla Vision, Park Assist, FSD, AutoSteer, or any of the other 20k worth of software updates? I still don't even have my hubcaps from the original pickup. ugh lol ...
Just curious? Would any other car manufacturer let you return a new car simply because it didn’t work out for you? Promise I’m not being snarky, I’m just genuinely curious.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Just curious? Would any other car manufacturer let you return a new car simply because it didn’t work out for you? Promise I’m not being snarky, I’m just genuinely curious.
Irrelevant. He wants to trade it back in for a new car, which would certainly be allowed.

Even if it wasn't, resale would be allowed. Tesla says you can't sell it unless you offer it to them first. They can't refuse to refuse to buyback. They can buy it back, or allow OP to sell it. They can't refuse both. Even if you think I could sign a contract that someone could kill me and it wouldn't be murder, the contract doesn't say you are required to keep the truck for a year no matter what

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
None, but pretty sure all of them will let you trade a vehicle in immediately, granted at a loss but reading the OP post it looks like they won't buy it back or let him trade it in, which seems odd. You would think they would just take off 30% of the value like most car dealerships do when you drive it off the lot.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Did you offer it to Tesla to buy it back with - 25c per mile? With really low mileage that should be MOST of your cost, and if they say no you should be able to get $120k on the open market after they cleared it by refusing.

OP
OP
4Frodo

4Frodo

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You have to write to Tesla to sell your truck back to them. Service center can't help. It's purchase price (before Tax) minus 25 cents per mile.
Ok great. and how to get in touch, I couldn't find anything and the tesla service team was no help. I am just curious on the potential loss if I swap the truck for the X. I'd love to know if im out $5k? $10k. it was more of an inquiry to understand my options

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok great. and how to get in touch, I couldn't find anything and the tesla service team was no help. I am just curious on the potential loss if I swap the truck for the X. I'd love to know if im out $5k? $10k. it was more of an inquiry to understand my options
How many total miles on the odometer, including what it came with + how many you have added so total. Multiply that by .25 and then subtract that number from the purchase price and that is Teslas stated buyback price, minus any additional discounts for damage.

OP
OP
4Frodo

4Frodo

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Irrelevant. He wants to trade it back in for a new car, which would certainly be allowed.

Even if it wasn't, resale would be allowed. Tesla says you can't sell it unless you offer it to them first. They can't refuse to refuse to buyback. They can buy it back, or allow OP to sell it. They can't refuse both. Even if you think I could sign a contract that someone could kill me and it wouldn't be murder, the contract doesn't say you are required to keep the truck for a year no matter what

Yes I find it strange that TESLA wouldn't make an offer, and if they choose to not make an offer, does that mean that the car could be sold to another party? I mean my intention is to STAY in the TESLA family and possibly swap to another model, im not looking to turn a profit, or scam or anything. I honestly just wanted to know my options and my outs if things within the condo become a problem.

IF I do need to write to tesla team about this issue where would you even find this info since the service teams are not helpful

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Yes I find it strange that TESLA wouldn't make an offer, and if they choose to not make an offer, does that mean that the car could be sold to another party? I mean my intention is to STAY in the TESLA family and possibly swap to another model, im not looking to turn a profit, or scam or anything. I honestly just wanted to know my options and my outs if things within the condo become a problem.

IF I do need to write to tesla team about this issue where would you even find this info since the service teams are not helpful
Find your order agreement through your account. There's a contact email for arbitration. Explain the situation to them and how you would like it resolved. Since there's no actual way to contact tesla this is the only logical step

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
You can read the contract/agreement on how to contact them.

Plan to lose out on the tax and fees you paid. You can calculate the 25 cent per mile. You get your total on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement from your Tesla accout.

Also, Tesla doesn't want to deal with taking them back so in the end, you will be free and clear to sell. They will decline the buy back.

Once you are exempt, you can list the truck for however much you like. Current used AWD Cybertruck market is probably at $155k.

SteelMyHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Email them and write them a letter. In both give them 7 days to reply. If they do not reply with a repurchase offer or a trade for an x then sell the vehicle and tell them you intend to do so. 7 days is reasonable time given tesla thinks 3 days for delivery of 100k vehicle is reasonable. If they tell you that you can't sell it because your reason in their mind isn't good enough then you can choose to lease to own to another driver, sue tesla or sell it anyway and fuck 'em.

I highly doubt Tesla would black ball you from future orders or sue you if you go through their channels but if you sell truck for 150k and they do sue you and win 50 grand then you break even and move on...knowing you can't likely get another new tesla.

The reality is that Tesla neither wants flippers nor people selling them back to Tesla as then Tesla has to wait years and years to sell it used so it wont undercut new vehicle orders or put it to work at space x etc instead. They can't have unwanted trucks piling up. I don't understand the 1 year timeline and I think the secondary sales at high prices help tesla. Let people do what they want with the product they paid in full for.

Allan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If everyone that buy a cybertruck new resell it at a higher price, it will take much longer for tesla to bring the price down and those people that are waiting in line for so long will be screwed because of a greedy few.

kpanda17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag

lesson learned, if you were not a truck person, unsure, size issues, etc
do a one week Turo rent and use, live with the CT
feel for you, but as with any purchase, do your homework, be prepared
at this point, I'd try and live with it, its an amazing vehicle

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
Maybe if you are uncertain about keeping the CT for a year, buy it in your name only. Then, if by chance you want to buy another Tesla, and Tesla is still mad with you, buy your new Tesla in your wife’s name? Don’t know if that would work.
Sponsored