Cleaning - BKF not working -scrub harder?

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
Frunk is only area where I have significant staining. Two rounds of BKF; looks better but can still see stains (areas of discoloration). Scrub harder? Orbital polisher?
Sponsored

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Tell us how you are applying it.

it took me two applications, but stains came off. Apply over a panel quickly to let chemical reaction start working. Once on there, polish it in a bit over a 1 minute timer. Wash off and repeat.

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€™24 CT AWD FS; ā€™18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
Using the spray on BKF, are there any known concerns using it with the stainless? I know it shouldnā€™t be left on the rubber or plastic or it will discolor. But, on the stainless there are no issues with ruining the finish?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
It took me a few tries to get some rail dust off, may be the same with significant staining. You have to let it sit a bit, then scrub. Don't be afraid to use a lot (as long as it doesn't drip down on the plastic) and scrub a lot. Just don't let it get past 60 seconds before you neutralize it.

I think one person reported discolorations that wouldn't come out no matter what, but I believe they got the parts replaced.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I plan on using a blue ScotchBrite pad and the spray version of BKF. It doesnā€™t contain the abrasives that the liquid BKF has.

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It took me a few tries to get some rail dust off, may be the same with significant staining. You have to let it sit a bit, then scrub. Don't be afraid to use a lot (as long as it doesn't drip down on the plastic) and scrub a lot. Just don't let it get past 60 seconds before you neutralize it.

I think one person reported discolorations that wouldn't come out no matter what, but I believe they got the parts replaced.
Sorry, what I meant was, Windex has started having some discussion of long term bad effects because of the high pH level.

I know BKF is the exact opposite, but is there any speculated long term concern with BKF on the stainless?

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Yall! Iā€™m reviving this thread bc I tried BKF and I think I was lead astray. šŸ„“ I tried it on a small bit of the hood where the rust spots are. It got the spots off but now that area looks totally different than the rest. So shiny and clean. Is that what the truck is actually supposed to look like? Did I just get myself into a big project? Help!

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Yall! Iā€™m reviving this thread bc I tried BKF and I think I was lead astray. šŸ„“ I tried it on a small bit of the hood where the rust spots are. It got the spots off but now that area looks totally different than the rest. So shiny and clean. Is that what the truck is actually supposed to look like? Did I just get myself into a big project? Help!
What you need to determine is if it is now polished in such a way that it is different than the original finish (scratch). This happened to me in that they cleaned it with some sort of polishing pad at the dealer, but it was a different finish, so I eventually had to redo it myself to make it match again.

Try doing the entire hood top, not just spots on it. That should help with blending.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
What you need to determine is if it is now polished in such a way that it is different than the original finish (scratch). This happened to me in that they cleaned it with some sort of polishing pad at the dealer, but it was a different finish, so I eventually had to redo it myself to make it match again.

Try doing the entire hood top, not just spots on it. That should help with blending.
It looks different for sure. The service center told us they put a ticket in on the finish. No follow up on that. I thought I could use BKF to just get the rust off but the rag was black and the hood where is cleaned is shiny - well more shiny than the rest.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
My SC is a few hundred miles away and it's hard to have them fix such stuff. So I did it myself.

But if yours is closer I'd suggest you continue trying to get them fix the hood to your satisfaction.

Bothwalien

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3LR
Country flag
It took me maybe 6 x 1 minute scrubbing of one area on the door (with BKF More, then wipe off with Windex using Costco microfiber towels for both) to ā€œmostlyā€ get the marks off. I quit at that point to not completely aggravate my carpal tunnel as it was the worst and last of the marks/spots I cleaned off the truck after delivery. To be honest I thought a few of the worst ones were actually scratches but they all came off, except a little of that one. Most took only one or two applications. Totally felt like magic.

The area I worked over so many times is a bit brighter than the rest of the door, but it is the only noticeable place. I am planning on applying Protectaclear in the coming weeks and then I will BKF the entire vehicle for a more consistent look.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It took me maybe 6 x 1 minute scrubbing of one area on the door (with BKF More, then wipe off with Windex using Costco microfiber towels for both) to ā€œmostlyā€ get the marks off. I quit at that point to not completely aggravate my carpal tunnel as it was the worst and last of the marks/spots I cleaned off the truck after delivery. To be honest I thought a few of the worst ones were actually scratches but they all came off, except a little of that one. Most took only one or two applications. Totally felt like magic.

The area I worked over so many times is a bit brighter than the rest of the door, but it is the only noticeable place. I am planning on applying Protectaclear in the coming weeks and then I will BKF the entire vehicle for a more consistent look.
Stop using Windex.

-Crissa

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks different for sure. The service center told us they put a ticket in on the finish. No follow up on that. I thought I could use BKF to just get the rust off but the rag was black and the hood where is cleaned is shiny - well more shiny than the rest.
Are you woking panel by panel with the BKF or doing all panels and then circling back around? If youā€™re doing panel by panel, how long are you letting the BKF sit?

I tried doing the entire truck with BKF and then circling back to clean off (Windex at the time, but now Iā€™ve shifted to a rinseless wash/alcohol/water combo). Letting it sit while I went around the entire truck etched everything and it was a complete mess. Freaked myself out. I now go panel by panel and donā€™t let it sit too long. As soon as Iā€˜ve applied BKF to one panel I clean it off.

My only beef is that I have one panel (rear driverā€™s side) that looks a little darker than all other panels. I donā€™t think that has anything to do with the BKF. I think I just got a weird panel. Not sure if Tesla can do anything about that.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Stop using Windex.

-Crissa
Windex is what the SC told me to use so that might be why itā€™s being used. I tried it on a small spot and it didnā€™t clean anything.

What do you recommend?
Sponsored