Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Obviously, the F150 will notice. Fans like you are drawn to the Cybertruck despite it being a "weirdo-mobile". I'm drawn by its capabilities as well as the fact that it looks different than any other truck out there. And, I actually really like the way the Cybertruck looks. I think it looks rugged, fast, and bad ass.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Big 3 are very conservative. Company culture does not promote or reward “thinking outside the box”.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
F-150 is the new Model T.

I don't see FORD or your guy's, radar blips notwithstanding, proudly driving anything other than an F-150 with antique plates on the back reading- " built tough" a Ford legend.

CT is the new Black paint on black privacy glass wrapped '57 Chev 2 dr. HT NOMAD -Cybertruck will point to the future. It will command awe and respect for an intellectual design ahead of its time.

Jon Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS85D
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Regarding pickup trucks, I've owned the following:

1989 Isuzu (2.2L)
1970 F250 (360)
1971 F250 (390)
1977 F150 (351)
1992 F150 (4.9)
1995 F150 (4.9)
1998 E350 (7.3)
2002 F250 (7.3)
2003 F250 (6.0)
2009 F150 (5.4 3V)
2013 F250 (6.7)
1997 F250 (7.3)
2004 Tundra (4.7)

1992 Dodge D2500 (5.9)
2006 Dodge D250 (5.9)

I doubt the young yankee that made that video knows why people buy trucks (in Texas anyway). He sounded like he lives deep in a NY burrough and has never seen a truck? Just guessing. People own trucks for different reasons, but the CT isn't going to bankrupt Ford anytime soon. Oil is currently 20 a barrel (temporarily)? I'm not a fanboy of Ford by any means but I prefer them over Dodge. And Duramax trucks are high priced.

I can't think of anything I've been more excited about than the CT, but it's not going to bankrupt Ford. Body on frame design and ICE make sense until batteries improve. I'm thinking about buying a Bolt to drive around and keep my diesel for truck duties because the CT isn't going to cut it based on my analysis. I'm on the fence though.
In my experience, it is people who do not have much experience with EVs that are worried about range, refuelling, etc., Sounds like you want to gain some experience .. so that is awesome. I think once you experience the EV lifestyle you will have more confidence in Cybertruck meeting your needs. Im a contractor as well as a farmer .. and based on life with a Model S after 250,000 km, I have no doubt my tri-motor Cybertruck will meet my needs and more.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
From my recent learnings.... The parts business forms a big part of the bottom line. In the past, all 'real' competition failed because they didn't have this cashflow.

EV's changed that. Real competition is coming, and it's a broad front. More than enough will survive.

Legacy is caught behind. First the edges fray, then big chunks break away, until almost unrecognisable parts are left.

Fear not. As insurance, government needs to keep these type of manufacturers alive
 This will save them.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Fear not. As insurance, government needs to keep these type of manufacturers alive
 This will save them.
God prays that’s correct! You are right
cashflow is EVERYTHING.
tl:dr
GM found Wabtec stumble into its Ultium battery factory. GM motors may not power cars but its battery could be an industrial power. Toyota cars may give way to a hydrogen fuel cell dominance just as Toyoda san dreamed. Future could get really weird.

With over 400 automotive OEM’s vying for EV, the carnage will be brutal. It will be quick and overwhelming. Even insurance is no guarantor of survival among heritage marques without a second lifeline on the back burner. Even that may not suffice.

FORD literally is tightrope walking conventional pickup trucks into an EV future – without a net. BMW isn’t even considering tightropes but keeping powder dry as a net strategy. They may be onto something.

New technology BEV OEM’s aren’t sure bets either. Neither are state-owned China conglomerates. Consolidation will be, cash is king, a literal Dutch penny auction. Most worrying is wildfire
auctions.

Collateral damage will kill famous, promising brands that all had a future. Scalpers, schleppers, opportunists and brilliant financiers all take a beating. The aftermath
now that will be interesting. Transition, what transition?

That there is somehow an orderly move from entrenched petro-dollar interests to lithium mining raw potentials with no infrastructure? Tesla vertical integration will look more genius than it is already. Smart money is playing on a transition over three decades.

FORD is brilliantly handling Lightning standing in rising water. It cut sedans before it went under water but failed to BEV its golden F-150 until Cybertruck did it. Retro-Bronco is providing FORD second chances yet even then no BEV. Ditto trucks! IDK if insurance and gov’t subsidies save a storied blue oval under water.

Rivian is a solid BEV prototype. Rivian, the company, needs to scale up to production. Volvo is making solid BEV moves. MB is moving as slowly as its customers demand BEV?. BYD is strong and organized around BEV. BYD survives well whatever happens.

Lucid, BAIDU, SAIC, LI, NIO, XPENG, and BAIC are all more than promising BEV sucess candidates. Everyone else? History will be written. Tales told. And most unlikely a few will emerge. No one can identify those heroes.

TSLA? Tesla’s greatest risk is #1 Elon Musk. Without a #2 beside EM, Tesla - future Tesla - is dependent upon EM. However genius Elon’s flat hierarchy operationally is functioning in hivemind mode, its not a succession plan.

Insurance and subsidies are doorstops for closing doors. At best, shock absorbers for an economy. Elon Musk is single-handedly standing up a new industry, economy and transportation system. The world will live with that.

FORD and other naysayers like them may not.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Photos or it didn’t happen â˜ș
No crash photos Miguel. I took that FORD working without a net metaphor from this analysis:
Tesla Cybertruck Clickbait or valid prediction? "Tesla Cybertruck Will Be Ford's Demise Towards Bankruptcy" 20D264CC-8FE9-4992-B69F-706EB973A113

Youtube URL here:

FORD has to do more than F-150 Lightning. Its more than doubling just production that they have already announced. FORD is working F-150 without a net.

Its dramatic highwire act is unsustainable.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
But the iPhone directly competed with Nokia and Motorola products. The Cybertruck does not compete with anything Ford produces.

Tesla may be considered direct competition to Ford; the Cybertruck not so much.

Conclusion: clickbait. :)
the CT does not compete with anything Ford produces? Umm..... how about the f150 ???

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But the iPhone directly competed with Nokia and Motorola products. The Cybertruck does not compete with anything Ford produces.

Tesla may be considered direct competition to Ford; the Cybertruck not so much.

Conclusion: clickbait. :)
The Cybertruck competes with the F-150 exactly as the iPhone competed with the Nokia. It is different. But scratches the same itches. Maybe not a 100% perfect match, but very likely close enough.

The article has one premise wrong. The iPhone didn’t wipe out Nokia by itself. It got the smartphone ball rolling, but Android did as much or more damage to Nokia as Apple.

The Cybertruck won’t eat up the entire truck/ SUV market, but it will take a good chunk of it. But when this ends, ICE vehicles will be very niche and expensive. Some combination of the Cybertruck and some other electric trucks will own the market.

If Ford doesn’t figure out how to do electric trucks profitably, it will be a near perfect parallel.
Sponsored