swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I'm a bit torn about the size: the "bigger" dimensions would mean: More interior/bed space but I would 100% have to park outside (which, if the tonneau has solar panels built-in I would do anyway). If it is small enough to fit in the garage, I won't need to put a charging port outside the garage and my wife is more likely to drive it (although she is in love with the Y...as am I to be fair). I'm buying it either way, so I guess I'll be happy either way?
Sponsored

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Assuming that the 4' bed width is correct for a second.

then add 15" to each side for tire and wheel well clearance so 48+30= 78".

The thing is vehicles over 80" wide changes the classification and DOT requirements so dropping it to below 80" makes sense.

Looking at the front seat, the center console looks narrower than the one on my wife's F-150, but since the tires stick out more it gives me some confidence that the truck is in the 79.5" outside of the wheel to outside of the wheel range.

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
The CT isnt made to be a work truck to carry 4x8 sheets. I’m not sure where everyone came up with that idea. The CT was meant as a weekend “off-roader” to compete with the Raptor and TRX but turns out it’s meant to compete with the Tacoma and Ranger given the specs.

Still a great Truck but best selling truck? That’s laughable especially with a $70k starting price.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
The CT isnt made to be a work truck to carry 4x8 sheets. I’m not sure where everyone came up with that idea. The CT was meant as a weekend “off-roader” to compete with the Raptor and TRX but turns out it’s meant to compete with the Tacoma and Ranger given the specs.

Still a great Truck but best selling truck? That’s laughable especially with a $70k starting price.
If memory serves it was stated in the reveal back in 2019. A 4' bed, likely 4' 1" can still handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall, and on the floor the bed is 6.5' (or maybe 6' we will find out eventually)

C3y3ber

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S 100D
Country flag
Seems like a 4 wheeler or side by side or even lawn mower would barely fit in the bed. Not sure what the ramp would be needed for.. Hope it is at least a bit wider then 48 inches

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If memory serves it was stated in the reveal back in 2019. A 4' bed, likely 4' 1" can still handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall, and on the floor the bed is 6.5' (or maybe 6' we will find out eventually)
It can “handle” it, yes - in a Home Depot run to put 2-3 sheets in the bed sort of way. And that’s fine for most.

But for more occupational uses, where (as someone mentioned elsewhere) forklifts and pallets etc are involved, having near zero tolerance for maneuvering is a bug. It’s generally why 1/2 ton trucks have minimum 50”-51” wheel well space to fit plywood with a working margin of tolerance.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Why do we keep putting any weight to any details he mentioned in the past. Obviously the specs will be what they decide is best for the end result, not just to be constrained by any of the many conflicting statements he made in the past. He liked to basically muse out loud in the past. He's clearly learned that he had to stop that in recent presentations and public statements, because he's gone out of his way to avoid making any declarative statements that everyone would expect him to hold the product to.

My take is the legal department is like bro you need to shut up about specifics because you keep changing the product for good reason, but your public statements on the specs of a yet unreleased product are opening us up to legal exposure.

It will be whatever it will be when it's finally for sale, not constrained to his prior statements.
I'm putting weight on the fact the concept truck was 84" wide, which is not a forward looking statement.

I agree "It will be whatever it will be when it's finally for sale, not constrained to his prior statements" but it would be incredibly silly to unveil a full size truck and then come out with a mid size one.

Duplicating

Interesting

but also strange

I wouldn’t think 79.8” wide would have resulted in the deletion of the 6th occupant seat, or a 6X4 bed, etc., but maybe that’s just the geometry of the thing.

in any event, I’m confused by anything that suggests the on-screen specs at unveil werent the relevant base case - but I’ve been confused before!
What I'm saying is that the dimensions shown on screen at the 2019 presentation were what they had in mind for the production truck at the time which did not correspond to those of the truck that was on stage then. We know this for a fact because the 2019 concept is 84" wide as per Elon's tweet. So when Elon refers to a 3% or 5% reduction in size my view is he does so in reference to the size of the concept truck not the on screen specs. Obviously it is possible they could have changed their mind once again and gone even smaller so that now it's a further 5% smaller on top of that previous 5% reduction from the 2019 concept. Would be silly but I wouldn't put it past him given some of the decisions he's been making as of late.

Last edited:

C3y3ber

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S 100D
Country flag
Lets see the cyber quad fit in the back. Really want the rear window to be removable somehow if nothing else. Interior does look cramped especially compared to an F150. Also a front hitch option.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The back seats look like they have little leg room because the front seats are moved back

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Tesla listened to concept feedback, hence the 5% more compact truck. Buyers want to garage park their new toy.

The CT will not be stealing 3/4 truck buyers but will cut into the traditional 1/2 ton pickup truck market.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
And is this a rear facing in-cabin camera? If the rearview “mirror” is video, then an in-cabin rear camera would make sense for needing to view the back seat (kids in car seats, etc.):

C6B40622-CD3C-477E-9504-494632A2DFC2.jpeg
rear facing interior cam is on all new teslas

also, i think these are the visors (still folded)
Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 1677774680577

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
I really hope it's closer to the F150 than Rivian. Ford has great interior size and the Rivian is basically a Medium sized pickup, kind of like a powerful Nissan Frontier. It looks like the CT interior is smaller than a Y.

Edit: Added this comparison of a Y to a R1T. Hopefully they didn't benchmark this
Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 1677784101409
Sponsored

Last edited: