cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I don’t *think* this is @greggertruck (right?), but echos several items relayed by @greggertruck

in all, starting to feel more towards a Rivian-sized truck, than a 1/2 ton sized truck

Namely:

• bed is “6”X4, from the wheel arch all the way back to rear wall of the bed “that’s because Tesla needs the extra space for the rear wheel steering”

• 5 seater instead of 6 seater

• needed to make it 5% smaller

• no pass through

• will have a frunk

A few other details

• plastic bumpers front and back “so they are 5mph compliant” - and seemingly that front bumper plastic reaches way under the front (note the apparent pop clip back near suspension)

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) D9A22A4D-4F2C-4FC0-AA27-E9AD991D6F14

Also, is that a carbon fiber underbody pan? (Photo enhanced)

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 9473342F-78B4-4C5B-8323-848213CF389E

• multiple tire options, investor day truck is on 35” 285/R18s (note the Franz truck was on a different tire)

• this back seat looks claustrophobic to me; not only is there minimal space between the back and front seats, not only do we know the “5% smaller” means they couldn’t fit 3 across (and so will be considerably narrower than most 1/2 ton trucks), but look at how the doors come up to chin height to back passengers

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) C7A7B21C-F2F6-4044-BB89-6B2D72F82977

• here
might here be an answer regarding the features at the top of the windshield / to either side of the front-facing camera:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 8B6D19E2-82D0-438D-97EF-3D596894BD00

this appears to me to possibly be a padded sun visor that either can be pulled back toward the driver (causing the padded bits to touch) or extended forward from the driver (causing the gap between padded bits seen above) - and when pushed forward like this appear from the outside as we’ve seen in other pics

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 23D1E01A-C887-4819-9A02-F780F1C0EE94

a few other other bits and bobs to pick up from these photos:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) B29457C5-7B08-4E21-80C2-47A1A9C26317

And is this a rear facing in-cabin camera? If the rearview “mirror” is video, then an in-cabin rear camera would make sense for needing to view the back seat (kids in car seats, etc.):

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) C6B40622-CD3C-477E-9504-494632A2DFC2
Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) A9AFD796-9858-4CC2-8CA3-810149C54819

and another pic from the IG post:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 8608B555-F988-4A83-91B2-AD35821A285B

cargo rail system in better view, as are the tie down loops, and I’m getting the impression this tailgait might not be powered - just seems a lack of hinge-located umph for a motor to do the up/down work (but who knows)
Sponsored

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Knowing I’ll catch some hell for the comment about being Rivian-sized:

• photo of back seat speaks for itself

• if we take the “5% smaller” literally (may not be 5% all around, but for present purposes) based on release day specs that would put this 5% smaller CT at: [EDIT TO ADD: Some have said 5% is down from much larger specs (eg 84” wide?) of alpha proto, ignoring the on-screen launch specs - which if so of course all the measurement estimates below are “wrong]

CT: 220” L X 75.8” W X 74” H

Rivian: 217″ L x 79″ W x 78″ H (Ranges 72-78 depending on suspension setting)

Contrast with F150 Lightning (nearly identical to CT’s release day specs):
232″ L x 80″ W x 77″ H

And so then about this “6”X4 bed

First, can’t understate how wild a 4 foot (46”) wide bed would be. For comparison to an F150 that is 50.6” between the wheel wells, and 65” wide elsewhere.

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 23BBD838-A3AF-49FF-B074-4BF1D92DA112

And as for the CT’s purported “6’” length, that’s going to be at the floor only:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 8AAC9A64-2563-4333-A0A3-0AB13E190F35

here I’ve emphasized that geometry:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 441F22E0-5BD3-4063-8E86-B6997B1BD8A5

the floor area in red may be 6’

but the slope back in blue likely sliding to closer to 5.5’ at the green secondary back wall

then the obstruction of the aperture in yellow, to maybe 5’?

that all roughly amounts to a 5’x4’ aperture total, sloping gradually inward to what’s ultimately a 5.5’ to 6’ gradation of space

if a 6’ tall someone thought they could lay down even diagonal in that bed, they might be in for a head-butting surprise (on the blue slope) - but definitely not fitting 2 people side-by-side

Back to the Rivian comparison, its bed is 54” (4.5’) feet long but 51 inches wide. potato - potato.

Maybe a Tacoma option of beds is a helpful comparison:

5-foot bed 60.5 L /41.5 W (btwn wheel wells)
6-foot bed: 73.7 L / 41.5 w (brown wheel wells)

Given the CT’s sloping foreword wall, and 4’ width for most of the length of the bed, it’s certainly seeming like a Tacoma-esque bed, that ranges from a 6’ Tacoma at the floor to a 5-foot Tacoma at the bed height, with the roof overhang further occluding the usable bed space

In all, these Rivian-like exterior dimensions, but with a better-than-Rivian back seat (they’re the worst), and hybrid 6’-5’ bed, mean that the CT will beat the Rivian in some specs, while retaining a similar footprint of the Rivian. (The CT should also best the Rivian in frunk space.)

But it’s no longer seeming as likely that on a size/cargo, interior space level that the CT is beating the F150 or other 1/2 ton trucks.

That said, I half suspect these dimensions sacrifices were made in trade for various performance advantages. By shrinking by 5% does the CT achieve the weight reduction needed for 500mi range? Etc.

Mixed feelings for me. I don’t mind the idea of a smaller footprint truck (and I suspect a lot of Tesla buyers crossing over into a pickup will feel the same). But I really do need the back seat, bed, and other cargo-related dimensions.

madding this photo, that given the lighting really emphasizes and clarifies the interior dimensions of the bed:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 829337C9-CEC5-48D1-9894-C27D8FB647E5

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) A4E195CC-8631-420D-9850-3BB4918B5CE0

Last edited:

Ryuda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser (TRD Special Edition)
Country flag
The rearview mirror does not look like it would display digital camera rear view when tonneau cover is closed.
Also, the seats do not look like it supports both heated and ventilated system, perhaps just the heating.(hopefully I'm wrong)
I was hoping to see a driver display like the S and X models, but I can work without one.
Something tells me the license plates gonna kill the look of this truck.

Overall looks clean and well prepared for final production, hopefully the price is reasonable.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Yes 82" wide:

2019 concept is 84" wide, a 3% reduction is close to 82" wide, a 5% reduction is exactly 79.8" wide.

Taken literally, 220” long X 75.8” wide X 74” tall

Closer in size to a Rivian than a Lightning

But agree, I wouldn’t take “about 5% smaller” so literal yet
I refuse to believe they are so dumb to have turned this into a mid size truck. The dimensions that were shown on screen were not that of the truck on stage but of the aspirational production version. The 2019 concept truck is over sized, we know for a fact it is 84" wide and it almost certainly is longer than 231.7".

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I would take everything the guy guarding the truck said with a grain of salt. He may be right, he may be crazy, but he almost certainly isn't a decision-maker on the vehicle. He may have said 4X6 when it's really 4'2"X6'4", for example. "5%" may actually be "3%", etc. Truck looks pretty much the same size and shape as the original to me.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Everybody was crapping on me when I raised the red flag about shrunken bed among the flurry of sightings of the second version last year. Turns out to be right. It's frustrating but that's the cards dealt. Was hoping for a much bigger bed than my current truck, but looks like I'll have to deal with only marginally larger or essentially the same size to my Ridgeline. Oh well.

If the bed has become that much shorter, then I'll have to join Elon in making new statements that contradict my old statements on the truck by coming out to revise my belief as follows: this truck will no longer become the most selling truck in history. A stubby Ridgeline bed most definitely prevents this thing from overcoming the disdain many truck owners would have for it on visual and EV reasons. A full sized bed would get truck owners who aren't crazy about it to buy into it when they realized how much cheaper it will be to operate. A short stubby bed and they will never even give it a chance.

It will still sell a ton, and be wildly successful, it just won't be the biggest selling truck in the truck market.

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Yes 82" wide:

2019 concept is 84" wide, a 3% reduction is close to 82" wide, a 5% reduction is exactly 79.8" wide.

I refuse to believe they are so dumb to have turned this into a mid size truck. The dimensions that were shown on screen were not that of the truck on stage but of the aspirational production version. The 2019 concept truck is over sized, we know for a fact it is 84" wide and it almost certainly is longer than 231.7".
Why do we keep putting any weight to any details he mentioned in the past. Obviously the specs will be what they decide is best for the end result, not just to be constrained by any of the many conflicting statements he made in the past. He liked to basically muse out loud in the past. He's clearly learned that he had to stop that in recent presentations and public statements, because he's gone out of his way to avoid making any declarative statements that everyone would expect him to hold the product to.

My take is the legal department is like bro you need to shut up about specifics because you keep changing the product for good reason, but your public statements on the specs of a yet unreleased product are opening us up to legal exposure.

It will be whatever it will be when it's finally for sale, not constrained to his prior statements.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
Not buying the "Confirmed" info..... if history has told me anything about Tesla is that ordinary employees know little to nothing more than the public. Proven oven and over again at service centers daily.

Also IMO, no way this magical employee would be the one authorized to release such information to the public vs. Musk himself or Franz for example.

CyberROD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
This thing is Tacoma sized for rear passengers. The information seems legit, just looking at the pictures you can see the lack of legroom in those rear seats, almost like they used an existing CUV platform and just threw a bunch of stainless steel around it…..basically half assd it for a “truck”

HVAC for camping mode? lmao…..just get a Y or X smh

Last edited:

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Not buying the "Confirmed" info..... if history has told me anything about Tesla is that ordinary employees know little to nothing more than the public. Proven oven and over again at service centers daily.

Also IMO, no way this magical employee would be the one authorized to release such information to the public vs. Musk himself or Franz for example.
yeah, “confirmed” is misleading. It’s more like “Tesla security guard: truck is 5% smaller,…”

we can say with certainty no mid-gate though.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Duplicating
Interesting

but also strange

I wouldn’t think 79.8” wide would have resulted in the deletion of the 6th occupant seat, or a 6X4 bed, etc., but maybe that’s just the geometry of the thing.

in any event, I’m confused by anything that suggests the on-screen specs at unveil werent the relevant base case - but I’ve been confused before!

jessholderbaum

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Everybody was crapping on me when I raised the red flag about shrunken bed among the flurry of sightings of the second version last year. Turns out to be right. It's frustrating but that's the cards dealt. Was hoping for a much bigger bed than my current truck, but looks like I'll have to deal with only marginally larger or essentially the same size to my Ridgeline. Oh well.
I actually think the size of the bed on my 2018 Ridgeline is perfect. I've done a ton of home renovations, having to travel 30+ Minutes to Lowes, then back (with a 2,000 ft drop/climb). I can carry 4x8 sheets, and up to 12 ft 2x4s and such fairly easily (using a bunch of straps, due to the aforementioned 2000' climb). If the CT has a similar bed, I'll be perfectly happy.
Sponsored