Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
A lot of grumbling about tow specs and bed size. Something tells me that the CT will still be close enough to 70% of people's usage sweet spots.

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) F-150s2-v3-768x714

It won't be everything to everyone but it'll be good enough at what it does that, when compared as a whole, it'll be a legacy killer. Just my 2 c's.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’d be happy with a mini truck so long as I could get bikes under the vault.

But it’s a full sized truck. Happier with that.

A lot of grumbling about tow specs and bed size. Something tells me that the CT will still be close enough to 70% of people's usage sweet spots.

F-150s2-v3-768x714.png

It won't be everything to everyone but it'll be good enough at what it does that, when compared as a whole, it'll be a legacy killer. Just my 2 c's.
Weird thing about trucks is people buy them for those 2 days a month where they need to haul stuff because it’s it’s such a headache to rent. If you took away the friction in vehicle rental, maybe fewer people would want to own a truck?

Deleted member 3316

I've heard the number coming DownUnder rumoured to be 25,000.
I can't wait to see the first turn up on the streets! There's gonna be people with 'Whiplash' when CYBRTRK is out 'On the Prowl'
25k per year?
if it’s between$70-90k I’m pretty sure it’s going to easy sell 40k units, and be the best selling vehicle in the Australian market… don’t forget 1 tonne Utes are eligible for an instant asset write off for small businesses.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Weird thing about trucks is people buy them for those 2 days a month where they need to haul stuff because it’s it’s such a headache to rent. If you took away the friction in vehicle rental, maybe fewer people would want to own a truck?

I don’t have a truck because it’s dumb, why pay 60k+ for a gas guzzler that’s hard to park for once a blue moon? Large items from Costco cost less than 100 bucks to get delivered and a truck from uhaul is cheap and easy. Enterprise will even pick me up and drop me off for less than 100 bucks a day! Even with that I rented trucks precisely 0 times last year, I don’t need more sh!t in my house!

Most “trucks” are not for hauling anything, main reason is image those who want to “own” the road or compensate for size. CT will be almost as efficient as as my M3 and with the vault it’s a completely different vehicle than a typical “truck”.

The real work have largely transitioned to transit vans, pretty much all the contractors I used for my house drive transit vans of various sizes.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
It looks better shortened. More proportionally appealing. But the expense is clearly usability of the bed. I'm still getting it, but I'm much less enthused about the bed than I was originally. Trade-off is that I'll look better in it now! ;)

The front also looks stubbier from edge of front door to tip of the nose. It looks like they shrunk it 5% by simultaneously shrinking the front end more so they didn't have to shrink the bed as much. But both were required to get to stated reduction.
I agree except, the bed size REALLY bothers me. I’m an 8’ truck guy so 6.5 was a significant issue. Now it looks like only 6’ at the floor level and decreasing toward the top. I’m not as all in as I was. Pricing for the truck and FSD pricing all go into the decision. With this shorter bed I’ll likely need a trailer which means a place to store it - all factors to consider for a state of the art ride. Good news is; I’m not an early delivery so I’ll get to see how good they really are before committing.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I agree except, the bed size REALLY bothers me. I’m an 8’ truck guy so 6.5 was a significant issue. Now it looks like only 6’ at the floor level and decreasing toward the top. I’m not as all in as I was. Pricing for the truck and FSD pricing all go into the decision. With this shorter bed I’ll likely need a trailer which means a place to store it - all factors to consider for a state of the art ride. Good news is; I’m not an early delivery so I’ll get to see how good they really are before committing.
I would be upgrading from a 5' bed to 6', which isn't what I was excited for, but would be a mild improvement. 6.5' bed would be all I really need for 90% of my vehicle transport needs. 6' bed kinda knocks out half my vehicle transport uses, but it would at least make material transport not as stupid as currently.

So I get your frustration. I share it. But what can we expect. I'm willing to bet the majority of reservation holders don't plan on using the bed for that type of crap, but based on this forum most want to camp/sleep in it. Only natural that Tesla would morph the specs to suit the majority of expected users.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t have a truck because it’s dumb, why pay 60k+ for a gas guzzler that’s hard to park for once a blue moon? Large items from Costco cost less than 100 bucks to get delivered and a truck from uhaul is cheap and easy. Enterprise will even pick me up and drop me off for less than 100 bucks a day! Even with that I rented trucks precisely 0 times last year, I don’t need more sh!t in my house!

Most “trucks” are not for hauling anything, main reason is image those who want to “own” the road or compensate for size. CT will be almost as efficient as as my M3 and with the vault it’s a completely different vehicle than a typical “truck”.

The real work have largely transitioned to transit vans, pretty much all the contractors I used for my house drive transit vans of various sizes.
I hear you.

Seems like when I built my house it was 50/50, but here in Oregon having your tools out of the elements is a big deal.

If Tesla released a van first, I’d be getting a van. I do need light off-Roading, but an AWD van with the right tires would do it.

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
As someone who’s seen trucks before, even the prototype at the Peterson seemed small. I can’t see over many trucks, but I could see right over this one. The fact that they’re making it even smaller is baffling.
The interior looks more sedan-sized than a truck, I’m honestly starting to think they discovered the “boring” truck design they made fun of has a damn good reason for it’s prevalence, and that’s why it’s taken them so long to get excited and actually make ththing.

I was trying to overlook so much because there’s so much to love.

It just seems like there’s so much wasted space- from the front windshield extending so uselessly far ahead and creating the worlds longest and most inaccessible dashboard (woe be to those who put a placard on the dash and it slides to the front)
to the bed being 4’ wide,
the backseat passengers seemingly having no headroom, legroom, or windows,
the bed being 6’ long for only the bottom 3” or so,
and the doors looking like they’re 5” deep??

Tacoma’s can’t even fit a car seat in the front middle and it’s the smallest thing you can call a truck but this cyber”truck” is even too small for a middle seat?!

My faith is faltering, it seems this supposed “truck” is only going to be truck sized on external dimensions, and will feel like a sedan with a bed smaller than a rav4 with its seats down (74” x 44” to the wheel wells?!)

Somebody please provide some reassurance that this vehicle isn’t going to need to be replaced like a Miata when the first kid comes along.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Country flag
6 seats can be easily added as an option, but not the overall size.

Ryuda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser (TRD Special Edition)
Country flag
I really hope ventilated seats are added either standard or as an option... for Cybertruck, 3 and Y.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
25k per year?
if it’s between$70-90k I’m pretty sure it’s going to easy sell 40k units, and be the best selling vehicle in the Australian market… don’t forget 1 tonne Utes are eligible for an instant asset write off for small businesses.
Early reservations total 25K.
Wouldn't 40K per year be something!
People will be jumping for them, especially if they build RHD in Mexico!

Deleted member 3316

Early reservations total 25K.
Wouldn't 40K per year be something!
People will be jumping for them, especially if they build RHD in Mexico!
That’s a pretty interesting insight. GigaAustin Cybertruck production just for domestic market, GigaMexico producing international cybertruck… sooooo….. Australian deliveries 2025?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Tracks/Rails and pass-thru (gaps) are not inherently incompatible.

There are many bridges with pass-thru space between the bridge rails/sides and the ties/slats/planks. There are a lot of railroad bridges like this.

Just make sure to NOT occupy the passthru opening at same time the rail/track is also trying to occupy the same space.

1677822605670.png

-----------------------------------

Walking the Goldstream Trestle
Dec 26, 2015
Chris Birkett

-----

Swinging and Swaying on the Hussaini Bridge ** Has more empty space than slats
The Hussaini Bridge in Pakistan's Gojal region is either a spectacular thrill, or a terrifying no-no. Unless you're a local - then it's probably just the way to work.
Oct 8, 2017
UrbanDuniya

-----

12 Most Terrifying Bridges You Don't Want To Cross
Some people have always been frightened of bridges. Gephyrophobia sufferers often try to avoid crossing bridges altogether, driving miles out of their way to avoid them. Of course, quite a few bridges can be rough experiences for those with acrophobia, as well. With some bridges, however, terror seems to be the only sensible response. Here, we look at 12 bridges that would turn anyone’s legs to jelly. Read on, but don’t look down.
Jan 6, 2019
Mind Boggler

*** the following bridges in video have significant openings between ties/slats/planks or use glass for slats/planks.

01:40 Royal Gorge Bridge, USA * occasionally they allow cars to drive across despite the gaps
03:42 Puente de Ojuela, Mexico
05:37 Coiling Dragan Path, China
07:48 Kuandinsky Bridge, Russia
06:26 Q'eswachaka bridge, Peru
09:20 Hongyagu Bridge, China
10:40 Hussaini Hanging Bridge, Pakistan ** more empty space than slats
11:39 IYA Kazurabashi Bridge, Japan

@markbloomfield (2020) A couple months ago I ran a cross country race that ended on the far side of #11, the Royal Gorge Bridge. The last quarter mile was across the bridge, and I can confirm the whole thing shakes when people are on it, and it has lots of gaps an inch or two wide. There were several people who would have placed high in the race but refused to cross it. It definitely was one of the most memorable race finishes.

@user-rm2uv4jc2m @user-rm2uv4jc2m (2021) I’ve been to the royal gorge and you can literally see through the gaps in the wooden planks and it’s very scary!!

@TotallyLA @TotallyLA (2021) I've crossed the Royal Gorge bridge. I could see through the slats to the ground and it swayed badly. I was almost too afraid to cross it again to get back.

------

Unfortunately, some people traumatized their dogs by making them walk on see-through glass bridge.
Only one dog willingly walked across (was this dog stupid or blind!!!)
The bridge owners do have a way to get revenge on some dog owners.

This glass bridge will give you nightmares
May 21, 2021
Trend Spot

-----

The question isn't one of compatibility, but one of complexity. The vault has to pass that gap, open or not, or both.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla Mexico is on nearly twice the land as Austin.

I thought Austin would be the pinnacle of Tesla world, and lessor giga's would spawn across the world. Not so.

We can write a long list... It is going to be mind blowing.

For example... if it is bigger that Austin... it will grow to only 10,000 employees ?

And 10,000 Robots... ?

Autonomous trucks carting goods? Autonomous taxi's autonomously driving to their work space?

I'm seeing Tesla taking an enormous jump on their competitors. Checkmate, game over.

18 months.
Sponsored