Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
yes but mostly no

The front passenger side is pushed back, with the passenger back flipped up, but the driver’s seat is pushed forward with the back passenger flipped down. And both front seats are in fairly upright positions

F2AE7152-A8F6-4743-B7C8-F4CE438FA54C.jpeg

now, if someone is looking at this photo and saying “the back seat is small” without considering what should be the obvious fact the front seats move, then I’m with you.

but when I look at this photo I’m saying it is small only after accounting for the fact the front seats move.

in contrast, here’s an F150 SeperCrew with both front seats set 3/4 the way back (further than I have them back, at 6’3”, and both seats reclined considerably:

342C81EC-7539-429E-A034-67017D7846A1.jpeg

And here’s the F150 with the back seats flipped up, and front seats 3/4 bac

59A0756D-B783-4E65-A793-0E88F4A9B851.jpeg

these things and comparisons all considered is why I say it looks much smaller than the larger 1/2 ton trucks
Thanks heaps for the comparison. Visually it gives me something to work with.

I completely agree the CT rear seat legroom is more compact than the Lightning, probably by about 4-6inches. That's a shame, but it's still going to be bigger than a MY. I'm a little concerned with the rear headroom as well (being 6'6) but I think the extra width and gabled roof line will still make it a comfortable long range tourer with 4-5 adults.

I think the Supercrew rear seat is borderline excessive in size (although limousine level space comfy and like it), but in regards to the CT main market, (cost conscious and practicle size)and the fact that it poses a safety risk as the rear passengers are only retained by the seatbelts, and theres lots of room for things and people to move about in the rear, so they are not in a ideal position for the safety systems to work properly in a crash.

Overall, so long you are comfortable in a natural seating position, without being boxed in, it doesn't really help if you have too much legroom, in particular if you don't have legrests to keep you legs up and extended.

Another thing I noticed in the comparison, is that the front seats seen to be quite high off the ground, so you're feet can easily fit under them. This might add some extra legroom without needing a longer cab. That could be like another 4", that the Supercrew doesn't seem to have, but also doesn't need.

Although I was hoping for more space in the rear, I think what it offers will suffice.
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Wow, 5% reduction in overall size, more then I was expecting from the prototype dimensions.

I can see the removal of the 6th seat upsetting to some.

No pass through will definitely upset some. I didn’t really care either way but I know some would have benefited from it.

I’ll take tires with the most range offered, lol. Speaking of range, any deets on that?

Thanks for the updates @greggertruck
They need a bolt in jump seat option for the vault with an intercom to the cab. For the bad kids.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm a little concerned with the rear headroom as well (being 6'6)
there’s no helping you, stretch!

I agree with everything you say regarding the F150 rear seat, as relates to the needs of certain buyers

Then there’s the other group.

I’m probably in the other group. CT will probably suck me in anyway, but not so long as ai’ve got 3 toddlers. Until then, considerations that cause me to love (be spoiled by?) the interior dimensions of the F150 (none are my pics)

•I won’t belabor the point, but only a minivan can beat it for people who need 3 full sized car seats (and they can fit rear-facing without adjusting front seats)

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) D1F68D8C-EC74-4B9A-B549-3B6581976DA1

• rear cabin is cargo area - large pieces of furniture can be hauled there

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 1677812309136

• full-sized kennels for 80lb dogs can be secured (my now past fur baby went everywhere with me, hunting, etc.) … or 7 intermediate hunting dog kennels :ROFLMAO: (admit they removed back seats):

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) EA348DCC-D376-4459-A1AE-834BA9402499

• I do find occasion to need to nap or take a long break in my truck - the rear seat depth allows for features like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 620CAF5E-321C-4B11-9AFB-69738DE61D7E

Which brings to mind an important third group of buyers, something @Ogre talks about a lot, where these rear cargo dimensions (and bed dimensions) really matter: the professional truck-dwellers and fleet build-outs.

For the 1/2 ton fleet specialty bed market, the integrated bed as long been a limitation of the CT - no possibility of flat beds, stake beds, utility beds, service bodies, etc. And CT probably wasn’t going to break into the >1/2 ton fleet space.

But the market for 1/2 ton regular-bodied fleet could have been really impacted if CT had managed a true 6’X5’ bed and SuperCab competitive interior room.

But if these rear seat (and bed) suspicions turn out correct, even the regular-bodied 1/2 ton fleet vehicle market seems harder to break into. For tradesmen and job-site guys who office out of their trucks, or pipeline guys that spend all day with equipment and/or sometimes 2-3 coworkers in their trucks, comfortable interior space (and bed space) is a key competition point.

But at the end of the day, the reduced dimensions (if true) could have as much upside in retail as downside in wholesale.

When the lightning started getting delivered, I was surprised how many people were first time full sized truck buyers who hadn’t even realized the vehicle won’t fit in their garage. A few sold within weeks. The CT will surely have a lot of interested crossover buyers for whom a full-sized truck will be a friction point.

And hey, the CT rear seat looks like an airplane hanger compared to the Rivian back seat

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 35FB140D-2CC7-4044-A0B9-142191697DB0
Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) C5F8133D-456D-43F7-9275-13051C1235CC

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ugh, the passthrough never made any engineering sense to begin with. The whole concept is silly, not because a passthrough is a bad idea, but because how the CT is designed. "vault" tonneau cover, or passthrough: pick 1. It makes no sense otherwise. Either you have a cover that rolls THROUGH where the pass through is supposed to be, or you have pass through that interrupts a rail system with a lot of moving parts. Both are very very bad ideas and I'm glad they didn't try it.

Tracks/Rails and pass-thru (gaps) are not inherently incompatible.

There are many bridges with pass-thru space between the bridge rails/sides and the ties/slats/planks. There are a lot of railroad bridges like this.

Just make sure to NOT occupy the passthru opening at same time the rail/track is also trying to occupy the same space.

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed Cybertruck specs: 5% smaller, 6x4 bed size, 5 seats, frunk, no pass through & more... (info from Tesla employee at Investor Day) 1677822605670

-----------------------------------

Walking the Goldstream Trestle
Dec 26, 2015
Chris Birkett

-----

Swinging and Swaying on the Hussaini Bridge ** Has more empty space than slats
The Hussaini Bridge in Pakistan's Gojal region is either a spectacular thrill, or a terrifying no-no. Unless you're a local - then it's probably just the way to work.
Oct 8, 2017
UrbanDuniya

-----

12 Most Terrifying Bridges You Don't Want To Cross
Some people have always been frightened of bridges. Gephyrophobia sufferers often try to avoid crossing bridges altogether, driving miles out of their way to avoid them. Of course, quite a few bridges can be rough experiences for those with acrophobia, as well. With some bridges, however, terror seems to be the only sensible response. Here, we look at 12 bridges that would turn anyone’s legs to jelly. Read on, but don’t look down.
Jan 6, 2019
Mind Boggler

*** the following bridges in video have significant openings between ties/slats/planks or use glass for slats/planks.

01:40 Royal Gorge Bridge, USA * occasionally they allow cars to drive across despite the gaps
03:42 Puente de Ojuela, Mexico
05:37 Coiling Dragan Path, China
07:48 Kuandinsky Bridge, Russia
06:26 Q'eswachaka bridge, Peru
09:20 Hongyagu Bridge, China
10:40 Hussaini Hanging Bridge, Pakistan ** more empty space than slats
11:39 IYA Kazurabashi Bridge, Japan

@markbloomfield (2020) A couple months ago I ran a cross country race that ended on the far side of #11, the Royal Gorge Bridge. The last quarter mile was across the bridge, and I can confirm the whole thing shakes when people are on it, and it has lots of gaps an inch or two wide. There were several people who would have placed high in the race but refused to cross it. It definitely was one of the most memorable race finishes.

@user-rm2uv4jc2m @user-rm2uv4jc2m (2021) I’ve been to the royal gorge and you can literally see through the gaps in the wooden planks and it’s very scary!!

@TotallyLA @TotallyLA (2021) I've crossed the Royal Gorge bridge. I could see through the slats to the ground and it swayed badly. I was almost too afraid to cross it again to get back.

------

Unfortunately, some people traumatized their dogs by making them walk on see-through glass bridge.
Only one dog willingly walked across (was this dog stupid or blind!!!)
The bridge owners do have a way to get revenge on some dog owners.

This glass bridge will give you nightmares
May 21, 2021
Trend Spot

-----

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Some specs for y'all! (From the employee standing there with the truck at Investor Day.)
  • 6x4 bed size
  • 5 seats instead of 6.
  • Can't fit 6 with the shrink that happened.
  • 5% stated.
  • No pass through.
  • Will have a frunk.
  • Multiple tire options.
  • 18's on display truck
  • Waiting on length overall

An employee named Elon Musk or I don’t believe it (and why would you?).

At the end of the day you (all) have to make a decision: you believe what Elon has told us and Tesla has published (that is, everything) or you believe nothing they have told us or published and you can think whatever you want. If the latter why even have a forum? If the former why do you keep up with these shenanigans?

Even if they make changes, and they have, it has to come from an authenticated source.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The original CT had a bed with of 57". If the width of the vehicle was reduced 2", we're at 55". To my eye, the 4-wheel steering wells now cut into the bed around 2-3" per side. This would make the bed around 50" at the base (a little wider at the top). For reference, an F-150 bed is 51", and so is the Rivian. So all in the same ballpark. If the vehicle length also shrunk in she same way, the 6'5" bed is probably now around 6'2"-3". 6X4 a fair approximation, but it's probably a little bigger and similar to other trucks. You couldn't put 4' drywall in a 4' gap; it needs to have wiggle room.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I’m fine with all of the above. This is going to be a great vehicle.
I’d be fine with any/all of these; I just don’t believe it unless it comes from an authoritative source. Meaning Elon says it or Tesla publishes it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
well, I want to see someone clean the windshield from the inside....looks like it about 4 feet and I dont have long arms.....I am just afraid there is going to be many thing that just don't add up to $80-85k....
I have been thinking about how to wash the windshield for a while now and have no solution yet.

EV Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This would make the bed around 50" at the base (a little wider at the top). For reference, an F-150 bed is 51", and so is the Rivian. So all in the same ballpark. If the vehicle length also shrunk in she same way, the 6'5" bed is probably now around 6'2"-3". 6X4 a fair approximation, but it's probably a little bigger and similar to other trucks. You couldn't put 4' drywall in a 4' gap; it needs to have wiggle room.
Also some sheet goods (e.g. melamine) come oversized at 49"x97". Agree wiggle room is needed, so 50" is minimum practical bed width, and 75" length would work. And we used to call the company work trucks "six packs" because they carried "six pax" to the job. That's six adult construction workers, not Mom, Dad and four kids. Add AWD, stainless durability, low maintenance, frunk/sail tool storage and power tool outlets and you have major competitive advantage. Tesla wouldn't make the bed and cabin just a few inches too small and miss that huge market.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also some sheet goods (e.g. melamine) come oversized at 49"x97". Agree wiggle room is needed, so 50" is minimum practical bed width, and 75" length would work. And we used to call the company work trucks "six packs" because they carried "six pax" to the job. That's six adult construction workers, not Mom, Dad and four kids. Add AWD, stainless durability, low maintenance, frunk/sail tool storage and power tool outlets and you have major competitive advantage. Tesla wouldn't make the bed and cabin just a few inches too small and miss that huge market.
wanna bet?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yup, for lack of a couple of inches and a seating position (#6), fall off the demand curve.

--------------------

Trends from pickup trucks' Big Three
Ford's F-Series full-size pickups are the top truck by unit volume for the 46th consecutive year.
Jan. 13, 2023
By Kevin Jones reporting for Fleet Owner, Inc
https://www.fleetowner.com/equipment/article/21257578/pickup-trends

--------------------

These Are the Best-Selling Cars (& pickups) in America in 2022
Cars is more of a catchall term, because full-size pickup trucks take the three top spots. U.S.A! U.S.A!
By José Rodríguez Jr.
Published July 12, 2022
https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-best-selling-cars-in-america-in-2022-1849167025

--------------------

How do Canadians stack midsize pickup versus full-size truck sales?
We break down the country's truck segment story, automaker by automaker, comparing small versus big
By Timothy Cain, Published Nov 18, 2019
https://driving.ca/features/feature...k-midsize-pickup-versus-full-size-truck-sales

Yet even with this recent growth, midsize trucks own just 10 per cent of the overall pickup market.

--------------------

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yup, for lack of a couple of inches and a seating position (#6), fall off the demand curve.
I’m acquaintances with someone formerly in the C-Suite at Tesla. And while I would never press, there have been glances and once a vague comment on how “that thing [the CT] is a problem.”

I don’t put a ton of weight on that, having enough experience inside big companies to know that most things worth doing are a sh*tshow up until they’re not.

But it does point to a possible reality where, faced with enough friction, compromises were made. Perhaps that turns out to not be true, and Tesla keeps up its perfect record (?) of delivering on specs. But if some compromises turn out to be true, I don’t think we should find it so remarkable or blameworthy that even Tesla might be mortal at times. Least of all when trying to deliver something as challenging (from an engineering perspective) as a BEV truck made of stainless with 500 mile range.

In that scenario, else was Tesla going to do: never produce the thing?

Which again re-raises for me a possibility regarding reasons behind a possible reduction in size: they equate to reductions in both mass (the crux of rolling resistance) as well as frontal plane (the crux of drag).

If on official release Elon says, “and one more thing, range is 650 miles” that may be reason to offset a lot of market “costs” in the size reduction.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
Lack of 6th seat, might be a deal breaker. Not all families have 2 kids, was hoping this could function as family vehicle.
Yeah, how could mister 10 kids be so inconsiderate ... Sorry Timmy, Mr Musk decided families need to be capped at 5.