Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
So how is this any different from existing electric truck bed covers? Seems to me people have found a way to make it work before, what’s stopping them from figuring it out now?
I honestly don't know, because I don't know if trucks have these kinds of bed covers in cold climates.

Here vans outnumber pickup trucks 30 to 1, and the pickups you see will generally have a reason to be a pickup (equipment or whatnot), so don't need a cover, or will have a cover that has an opening gate/door at the back. I don't remember when I've last seen one, if ever, with a cover like the Cybertruck vault.
Sponsored

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
The icon for the tailgate is concerning because it reads that you can only push the button to deploy the gate, but cannot retract it (similar to Rivian). Hope it is for both open, close, and is motorized.
Gosh, do you remember when we had to use our own arms to operate something? It was horrible.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Look at those panel gaps... seriously, you could drive a Gigacasting through the gap between the button and the panel. Where is the 10 micron precision?!?!?!

:p

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
As badly as the rear hatch on my S I imagine.
Of course anything like that will require sometimes a fair bit of scraping to operate (the boot on the 3 would sometimes get thoroughly immobile). But if you have a concave shape it will attract even more ice and snow. Might just be something to live with, assuming the rubber and mechanism isn't precious enough that it can't handle a bit of abuse from hacking out the ice...

Now, the vault, if it has a habit of icing up, will potentially be extremely problematic due to those little ridges between the slates!

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I honestly don't know, because I don't know if trucks have these kinds of bed covers in cold climates.

Here vans outnumber pickup trucks 30 to 1, and the pickups you see will generally have a reason to be a pickup (equipment or whatnot), so don't need a cover, or will have a cover that has an opening gate/door at the back. I don't remember when I've last seen one, if ever, with a cover like the Cybertruck vault.
You clearly don't live in modern urban America :confused:

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Gosh, do you remember when we had to use our own arms to operate something? It was horrible.
Yes I remember that and it wasn't horrible. The point is that the motor technology has evolved and we are now beyond having to open and close the gate manually. There is significant utility when having a gate that can be opened and closed remotely, hands-free. Plus, people have complained about the manual frunk lid on other Teslas - so this feature is not new.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I’ve seen plenty electric tonneau cover on trucks and I guess they manage

cbrtrckrsrvd112219

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Uh oh watch out for the people complaining about finger prints in the other thread, those water spots will surely dazzle them. 😅
I think (and hope) Tesla did not apply any SS treatment for Release Candidates.. like "why bother if we gonna trash them during crash testing".
in some photos the CT SS surface have pretty bizarre, but normal for untreated SS spots patterns.
I think the home appliance industry already figured out ultra-cheap process to protect SS surfaces from smudges and fingerprints.
I also strongly believe that Tesla engineers and Elon think about every design/appearance detail and whatever result is is result of design decision. :cool:

Last edited: