ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The racks themselves are basic, and I'm sure those are just interim options as the main concern on that for me has always been the mounting attachment points. Those will be what allow a wide range of aftermarket or even self-made rack type accessories.

What got more of my attention, are in the first and third images below the video, where the vault sides looked quite awesome compared to past sightings. These type of improvements are what I am really glad to see.

Front fender to frunk lid gaps are less wide than some I've seen in a couple sightings before, but striving for centering of the frunk lid or consistency of the gaps on left and right sides should be a focus for those in manufacturing assembly. This is likely correctable by frunk lid hinge mount and the lower latch adjustments. I'm thinking there are adjustments for hinge mounts and latch mechanism under the frunk shroud cover as well.

Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks CT-Frunk

But again really impressed with improvements of the vault sides in these images.

- ÆCIII
Sponsored

Thinking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I hope there is a "tall" version in development, making it possible to carry items (ladders, lumber, kayaks, cargo box, etc) in a level fashion. Ideally adjustable in height, to be used in any of the 4 mounting positions.

Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 11.24.20 AM

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I hope there is a "tall" version in development, making it possible to carry items (ladders, lumber, kayaks, cargo box, etc) in a level fashion. Ideally adjustable in height, to be used in any of the 4 mounting positions.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 11.24.20 AM.png
Notice how those weren't Chevy branded?

I imagine third parties will make CT accessories too

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 11.24.20 AM.png
Of course there will be more and 'tall'er options. The attachment points assure that:

Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks CT Racks Sketch 02

- ÆCIII

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Of course there will be more and 'tall'er options. The attachment points assure that:

CT Racks Sketch 02.png

- ÆCIII
True, but the ones shown today are quite portable while a standard rack is not (not really). Regarding the 'level' rack, I suspect that Tesla would design one that would minimize range losss and that 3rd-parties would design one that satisfies the broader audience and gives up range.

Deleted member 12457

Some closeup looks at the rack accessory from yesterday.
Couple things. Since you took the original video, can you zoom into the roof attachment on the driver's side near the back of the glass top? It appears to have the cover off. Hopefully the original video is better quality.

Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.46.49 PM

I watched the video and got a good angle of the mounting towers showing what looks like a key hole to unlock access to the mounting bolts. This would be a typical mounting for roof racks. I could see Yakima, Thule, Malone and others easily creating low profile roof racks for the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.45.52 PM

I saw the horizontal top racks with different size supporting pillars or towers. Yakima sells some that are adjustable so they could work on the rear two sets of mounting locations. If I were to build my own CT-compatible roof racks, I'd use 3-4 of the mounting locations using retractable towers. I'd use cross bracing, probably more than most people would want since I have a rooftop tent, which would get in the way of accessing the cargo area when the roof rack is lowered. I'd also make this rack easily removable while also making it very strong so it doesn't fall off.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
The racks themselves are basic, and I'm sure those are just interim options as the main concern on that for me has always been the mounting attachment points. Those will be what allow a wide range of aftermarket or even self-made rack type accessories.

What got more of my attention, are in the first and third images below the video, where the vault sides looked quite awesome compared to past sightings. These type of improvements are what I am really glad to see.

Front fender to frunk lid gaps are less wide than some I've seen in a couple sightings before, but striving for centering of the frunk lid or consistency of the gaps on left and right sides should be a focus for those in manufacturing assembly. This is likely correctable by frunk lid hinge mount and the lower latch adjustments. I'm thinking there are adjustments for hinge mounts and latch mechanism under the frunk shroud cover as well.

CT-Frunk.jpg

But again really impressed with improvements of the vault sides in these images.

- ÆCIII
rough adjustments for mounting exo to final positioning to structural transfer mounts via adhesive.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's width adjustable because of the tesla tolerances.

amrite?

boo-this.gif
could be, but the distance between the adjustments to me appear to be a big weak spot....looks like it will bend there

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
could be, but the distance between the adjustments to me appear to be a big weak spot....looks like it will bend there
It likely won't have problems or bending very much because most racks don't have all of their supported weight concentrated only in the center. Even so they likely allowed for a certain minimum strength in the design. These are obvious light duty racks anyway, for a few long items that probably aren't extremely heavy.

There's the obvious differences in span of the different attachment points from front to rear. They most likely made them extendible and universal to fit any attachment position, so that they only have to make one rack assembly configuration.

Much quicker and more economical manufacturing instead of having to worry about different lengths. Owners don't have to pick out a particular rack assembly for a specific position either, and it also makes replacements for damaged ones much easier and cheaper.

- ÆCIII

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag

CT Racks Sketch 02.png

- ÆCIII
I’d love to see a conformal SS skinned shell with the rack on top to make more storage space in the back for carrying more stuff with a integrated light bar on the front of it. Very nice artwork! Now I’m really looking forward to seeing what may come next when more of these jewels roll out sometime next year and eventually get into the hands of the aftermarket so they can cook-up awesome accessories.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
At the base of the rack mount, I would like to see some integrated tie downs as well if I am making a wish list. Even, better integrate the tie down strap somehow into the rack so its all cohesive.

cbrtrckrsrvd112219

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Hmm ... like the Rivians :)
I agree. I fail to see any practical application in crossbars in this angular setup. Forget aerodynamics, simple use case of roof box: you cant put anything there, it will fall down immediately with that angle, and god forbid you want to open the box to get something!
Cross bars should be leveled horizontally.
otherwise It would be like driving dupm truck :)
Tesla Cybertruck Bed Rack Accessory part closeup looks 1698017119761

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Question: for anyone that has hauled a paddle board, surf board, etc. Shouldn't the rear rack be a little taller?
You usually have generic bars that you mount specific parts to. Mine has two bike trays, and then space for a pod or more gear in-between, I take off the pod if I'm just using it for poles or lumber.

Cross bars should be leveled horizontally.
otherwise It would be like driving dupm truck :)
...Then knee the truck forward? You don't load things that are loose on bars. Ever.

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Question: for anyone that has hauled a paddle board, surf board, etc. Shouldn't the rear rack be a little taller?
For things that could slide off, yea, a level rack makes sense to me.

But these may be ideal for carrying an awning. I am not sure, may look good stremelined with the CT angle.

Travel with a flat or angled awning ?. which is more detrimental to range.. or is it splitting hairs?

I will probably need 3 bars, and brackets to suit.

When in use, a simple matter of levelling it out using the air bags.

btw, handy to use the air bags to change the angle or height to block out the sun through the day.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For things that could slide off, yea, a level rack makes sense to me.

But these may be ideal for carrying an awning. I am not sure, may look good stremelined with the CT angle.

Travel with a flat or angled awning ?. which is more detrimental to range.. or is it splitting hairs?

I will probably need 3 bars, and brackets to suit.

When in use, a simple matter of levelling it out using the air bags.

btw, handy to use the air bags to change the angle or height to block out the sun through the day.
A set of racks to carry and awning? You mean like a camping awning? That would only serve well for extremely short people!
Sponsored