Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Salt corrosion is different than galvanic, tho.

-Crissa
But galvanic corrosion is accelerated with an electrolyte.
Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Sure, are you planning on putting salt inside the walls of your truck?

-Crissa
I'm not planning to intentionally, of course I don't with any other vehicle that I've owned that has succumbed to salt. Unless they can button up the Cybertruck to prevent ALL water from getting in, it's going to corrode. Plus, the more water tight you make it, the harder it is for the water to get back out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, but what's important for salt incursion is that most of the outer panels on standard cars are not stainless. And the water that gets into the drains is usually just condensation, and therefore absorbs salts instead of leaving them behind.

As long as the stuff on the outside is stainless and non-bridging, it'll be fine.

Did you know you can counter-act galvanic corrosion by adding an inverse current? That can even be used to un-rust some things!

-Crissa

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Yeah, but what's important for salt incursion is that most of the outer panels on standard cars are not stainless. And the water that gets into the drains is usually just condensation, and therefore absorbs salts instead of leaving them behind.

As long as the stuff on the outside is stainless and non-bridging, it'll be fine.

Did you know you can counter-act galvanic corrosion by adding an inverse current? That can even be used to un-rust some things!

-Crissa
Adding inverse current has been used for decades and is very effective in preventing corrosion on bridges and buildings that are earth grounded. It has been used (arguably effectively) in the auto industry.
And my primary concern is not the body corroding. It's fasteners, structural components or basically anything else that isn't stainless.
It would be really cool if Tesla had improved upon that technology to prevent any galvanic corrosion.

Last edited:

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
And, a meteorite could spank the earth and crush my precious CyberTruck. The reality is, it's better than what's currently offered by everyone else. The other aspect of this 30X SS is that it's 3mm thick. With that kind of thickness, you'd have to be derelict in your duties of care for quite some time, to end up with significant and structural corrosion.

I love the #5. Like your CT will ever be parked in that temp range. The idea is, just because it's SS, wash it. Protect it, but also let it protect itself. A garage is a good place to park your CT. Just be mindful and active and all will be good. peace

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This is also a company that manufactures cars that corrode in the salt just like any other manufacturer. I was hoping that the Cybertruck would last much, MUCH longer thinking that the entire structure would be stainless steel (as i think many of us did). But now I find out it has an aluminum subframe just like other Teslas. Sure, there won't be any rust holes in the body, but what about the aluminum sub frame structural component? So, is Cybertruck going to be just as susceptible to corrosion because of the galvanic corrosion? Seems reasonable. And if not, what have they done to mitigate the problem? Is there some magic "sauce" that they are going to use to make Cybertruck last longer against corrosion of the sub frame than other vehicles that try to combat galvanic corrosion?
So if it turns out that the galvanic corrosion becomes an issue in time, the fix is a simple replacement of 1 part. OK, 2 parts because there are castings in both the front and the back. But still. 2 part replacement should be possible (if a bit time consuming).
Sponsored