Cybertruck spots/corrosion

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
They didn't contact me, I made the service appointment about it.

At this time, I think it was just rail dust.
Good to hear you think it is rail dust, PLEASE take some before and after pics and fill us in on what Tesla does during your service appointment. Hopeful they can get it looking great for you with minimal turnaround time.
Sponsored

hokietima

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, Honda Odyssey, ACURA MDX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have been sending this video out to everyone posting this nonsense.

I just went to a friends house and showed him some rust spots on his new car who brought this up. I told him his car was going to rust out like my truck. :p
What -What? Subaru's have this problem too?!? :)

Ericgboca

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
As someone who has been in the stainless steel rust removal business for over 10 years and Tesla owner since 2015 I was concerned about this as stainless steel will rust. If something from the outside is introduced to the stainless it will develop “tea stains” and if not treated will continue to expand. Metal dust in the factory, metal dust from the train breaking are types of “dust” that will penetrate the invisible layer of protection on the SS. Good news is it can be removed very easily while in its early stages.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
EDIT: Since this post is getting traction from news outlets, I'd like to up front state my finding. I do not believe this is embedded corrosion of the panels, but rather spots from an outside contaminant adhering to the exterior. The spots cannot be removed with soap and water, so the Tesla detail wash that happens before delivery could not have removed these spots. Barkeeper's Friend "Soft" remove the spots easily, and wish a soap+water wash and ammonia-free glass cleaner wipe down, the truck looks amazing and spot free. I further applied 2 coats of Iron Decon, but I saw no indication of remaining iron contamination.

EDIT Continued: I attached 2 more photos below: one with the spots, and one after the Barkeeper's Friend application. If the panels further corrode, we'll see, but for now I'm satisfied that this is not corrosion of the panel.

If you're interested, my truck is available for rental on Turo:

Tesla Cybertruck AWD 2024 rental in Fontana, CA by William D. | Turo

I received my AWD Cybertruck on February 1, 2024. Throughout the LA rain, I noticed the corrosion was forming on the metal like other people have noted, so I decided to start documenting it and bringing it to Tesla's attention. I figured it was already on their radar, but I want it attended to under the warranty. So I made a service appointment for this morning.

The truck was taken to the back and the exterior was washed, just to verify the corrosion was not specks of dirt.

Speaking with someone at the facility, they told me 1) they have a procedure/guidance for how to fix it, but 2) they don't have the tools on hand, nor have they done this repair before. They documented the corrosion, and told me they'll give me a call next month when the tools have arrived and they can perform the service/repair.

The Cybertruck has 381 miles on it, and has spent much of the 11 days in my custody parked in front of my house. Cold weather, rain, and some direct sunlight later, I attached a few photos of the corrosion spots and a video. Seems like it's much more prominent on the top metal that rises above the truck bed moreso than anywhere else, but the spots are definitely everywhere in the metal.

Pardon my gross hands and fading nail polish...

20240212_100728.jpg

20240212_100723.jpg

20240212_133320.jpg

20240212_140103.jpg
If you live close to the refineries in South Bay you probably will experience "crap" on any vehicle.
When we visit my in-laws in Lomita (close to refineries) my vehicles most often get all kinds of funk on the vehicle surfaces. If we are there for even a couple of days I carry a cover for our Tesla Model 3

DeBergo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
So , does anyone wonder what it’s going to look like when you pull the wrap off of one in a year?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag

Cybertruck lead engineer claims that CT stainless has higher PREN (resistance to pitting corrosion) than 316L. This is the first "real" information that has been given about what makes the "30X" stainless on CT "special". Everyone claiming there was some magic formulation, now you have a source.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
You have seen spaceships when they come back right, thinking space shuttle? Their exterior looks like it has been to outer space and back (and very dirty). Did Tesla promise the CT SS be impervious to wear and discolor? The important part to me is it should be cleaned before delivery.

When I first saw a picture of it, it reminded me of what Old Pro said, refinery fall-out!

SanJoseNinjya

First Name
mikio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
Love it! Looks very classy. This will definitely be in my top list to consider.
Thanks, I liked it a lot. its like silver and grey with a little blue-ish under the sun. PurePPF has a lot of Satin option. check it out.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Thanks, I liked it a lot. its like silver and grey with a little blue-ish under the sun. PurePPF has a lot of Satin option. check it out.
Definitely. Thanks! It’s a weird coincidence - today morning I was thinking of how a grey silver with dark blue/copper tinge will look like. I think the universe has spoken. :love:
Sponsored